SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

7 hours ago, dynato said:

Think critically about the logistics of working in a classroom during a pandemic and you'll find why it is not an easy decision to make.

If a positive case is identified, does the entire class get tested and quarantine for two weeks? Or only teachers get tested since kids are safe? 

Does the entire school get tested? Or only after a breakout? And what even defines a "breakout"?

Would parents or the school be responsible for testing?

Does the school shutdown for a deep clean? 

Are teachers responsible for the new burden of cleanliness and health supplies for the classroom like they are other supplies?

Will students/families have to tell school personnel if they have traveled to COVID hotspots?

How likely is it that a kids parents send them to school despite having covid (or covid symptoms)?

Does the teacher work through Covid (remotely) if they get it? Or do they need to use sick hours?

How do you protect an older teacher who is legitimately at risk? Fire them? (~20% of public school teachers are over 55 years old, too many to just replace)

What happens when a teacher dies? 

Will substitute teachers even be willing to step in and risk infection if they aren't provided additional coverage/pay?

What happens when multiple teachers die?

What happens when that 1 in a 1M covid <18 child death happens in your school district? 

Does the school pay for the funeral or do you pay OOP?

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

Ok, now do nurses.

6 hours ago, dynato said:

I'd let the nurses get this one but some of you forced them off this thread with your blatant disregard and passive aggressive attacks against their experiences. So how about you do some critical thinking and respond with some reasonable answers/solutions instead of avoiding the conversation by derailing it?

Valid questions you pose in the first post. I guess a vaccine is your only "answer/solution" to all your questions above because your last 3 questions are basically Chicken Little. Even if coronavirus is on the same level as the flu for all those in a school setting why were we not asking these questions  decades ago? Why has school ever been open from November thru March in the upper Midwest?

The comment on "now do nurses" or for that matter healthcare workers in general is valid to "critical thinking" in the same context of the questions you asked about teachers. The overall healthcare system would be nonfunctional if it went with all the what ifs you bring up above.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....it's a vaccine  or bust in your opinion for any normalcy in our society in our current state....especially as it relates to school reopening.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Can the schools learn something from the meat packing plants?
Maybe kids couldn't adhere to all the rule changes needed to comply to a good fight against the pandemic?
Maybe the administration and teachers don't know what would be a good and economical plan of attach, if the schools were full of students? 

It is  also not economical to leave kids out of school. In the long run, poor education has been correlated to an increase crime and poverty, ultimately leading to a lower quality of life. We need educated youth. We need teachers to teach students. 

Regulating students is a nightmare. Depending on age. But still a nightmare. Many have no comprehension of their actions and when they are older rebel against authority. Then you have the parents who would raise hell if you mandated their kids wear a mask. Just bad all around. I see the valid solution being leaned towards is regulate/protect only the teachers. Make them mask up and PPE themselves as much as possible. Again, they need definitive answers to the questions outlined above so they know the risk, the hassle, the pay, and if it is worth it to stay in their current career path. This is how every industry with any level of hazard works. 

12 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Valid questions you pose in the first post. I guess a vaccine is your only "answer/solution" to all your questions above because your last 3 questions are basically Chicken Little. Even if coronavirus is on the same level as the flu for all those in a school setting why were we not asking these questions  decades ago? Why has school ever been open from November thru March in the upper Midwest?

The comment on "now do nurses" or for that matter healthcare workers in general is valid to "critical thinking" in the same context of the questions you asked about teachers. The overall healthcare system would be nonfunctional if it went with all the what ifs you bring up above.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....it's a vaccine  or bust in your opinion for any normalcy in our society in our current state....especially as it relates to school reopening.

I didn't say what the solution is. You are suppose to take in information and come to a reasonable conclusion yourself and then us have a dialogue on it. The last 3 questions are part of the reality teachers and families would be facing, you can't just shut them down because they are difficult. They need to be answered and not ignored.

COVID is much more aggressive in transmission than the flu to everyone, and more aggressive with hospitalizations and death to older people. So we need to balance against that. Again, you are right, students are safe from COVID. But students are little disease spreading monsters as is. They still need to stay home when they are sick and quite a few still don't. They have thought about this. School shuts down for several times during peak flu season for a reason, and its not just to give students and teachers a free arbitrary three weeks break. Think about why the general workforce doesn't shutdown for these breaks but schools do. Logistically if schools were kept open, flu would spread, kids and faculty would be out of school anyway. It's easier to have everyone stay home for three weeks (gasp like a quarantine to flatten the curve).

The comment of do nurse is a valid train of thought for an entirely different industry and conversation. You wan't teachers back in school. Answer the questions above. Don't dodge it completely, this is why they are not putting teachers back in school. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Vaccine is the ace in the hole, need to dig it out.
How do we get through these next 6 months without overwelming medical care?

Masks, wash hands, social distancing, plexiglass, and etc.
Partial lock downs?
Open everything up?

13 minutes ago, dynato said:

It is  also not economical to leave kids out of school. In the long run, poor education has been correlated to an increase crime and poverty, ultimately leading to a lower quality of life. We need educated youth. We need teachers to teach students. 

Regulating students is a nightmare. Depending on age. But still a nightmare. Many have no comprehension of their actions and when they are older rebel against authority. Then you have the parents who would raise hell if you mandated their kids wear a mask. Just bad all around. I see the valid solution being leaned towards is regulate/protect only the teachers. Make them mask up and PPE themselves as much as possible. Again, they need definitive answers to the questions outlined above so they know the risk, the hassle, the pay, and if it is worth it to stay in their current career path. This is how every industry with any level of hazard works. 

I didn't say what the solution is. You are suppose to take in information and come to a reasonable conclusion yourself and then us have a dialogue on it. The last 3 questions are part of the reality teachers and families would be facing, you can't just shut them down because they are difficult. They need to be answered and not ignored.

COVID is much more aggressive in transmission than the flu to everyone, and more aggressive with hospitalizations and death to everyone else. So we need to balance against that. Again, you are right, students are safe from COVID. But students are little disease spreading monsters as is. They still need to stay home when they are sick and quite a few still don't. They have thought about this. School shuts down for several times during peak flu season for a reason, and its not just to give students and teachers a free arbitrary three weeks break. Think about why the general workforce doesn't shutdown for these breaks but schools do. Logistically if schools were kept open, flu would spread, kids and faculty would be out of school anyway. It's easier to have everyone stay home for three weeks (gasp like a quarantine to flatten the curve).

The comment of do nurse is a valid train of thought for an entirely different industry and conversation. You wan't teachers back in school. Answer the questions above. Don't dodge it completely, this is why they are not putting teachers back in school. 

How is elementary school different than the daycares that have been open since March? Where are the outbreaks among the families of the workers? The grandparents of the children who have been around other disease spreading monsters?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

1. To not overwelme the health care system,
till we get a vaccine.

You haven’t been paying attention if you still think that’s what they are trying to do. Flatten the curve is no longer the goal. Now it’s to, as was said, eradicate the disease before we can go back to our lives. Unprecedented to say the least.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

How is elementary school different than the daycares that have been open since March? Where are the outbreaks among the families of the workers? The grandparents of the children who have been around other disease spreading monsters?

Elementay school at full capacity would be like putting all local daycares into one.

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Elementay school at full capacity would be like putting all local daycares into one.

But it only takes one kid and then.....EXPONENTIAL TRANSMISSION.    

Did I do that right?  Hasn't happened yet but it should any day now.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Maybe you haven’t seen some of the daycares, my kids’ day care is the size of about 3-4 full sized class rooms and has 250 kids.

5 minutes ago, dynato said:

Okay, now do every age bracket over 20 

So the teachers are controlling whether school and sports come back? 

Or is it "all it takes is one kid to spread it and every teacher, parent and Grandma in the county gets sick"

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxBoys said:

How about you do some critical thinking and respond with some reasonable answers/solutions instead of avoiding the conversation by derailing it?

You are so close to getting the point lol

11 minutes ago, dynato said:

Okay, now do every age bracket over 20 

Do 70+ year olds make up a majority  of individuals in a school setting? 50+? 40+? Not sure what your point is. Again that logic would have every healthcare system shutdown by noon.

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

f*ck you for judging me and pretending you cared about a someone most of UND hated and couldn't wait to get rid of.

If you care about someone who REALLY gave to UND go here...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dewwdu-caring-for-a-caregiver?utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link-tip

and F*CK you again judgy aholeQ

Dodging the question again.  Textbook labeling someone a racist with zero to back it up.  We will accept your non answer as an admission that you were wrong.  Moving on.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic