SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

11 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

How about the Tanzanian President sending The WHO samples from a goat, a pheasant and a papaya and them coming back positive for covid...

The Tanzanian president said he sent the samples to Tanzania's own state run health agency - not The WHO, and claims they came back positive.  This has not been verified. 

He then suspended the head of the lab.  He is in a fight with opposition parties regarding the number of COVID cases in the country which they say he is under-counting. 

He is also is touting a herbal tonic from Madagascar that is medically unproven as a treatment for COVID19.  Previously his plan to was to pray the virus away.

2 hours ago, dlsiouxfan said:

So a default on our national debt- that would be a complete economic disaster that would make the last 8 weeks seem like a walk in the park.  

I did not say default. 

I said void US debt held by China. 

And there's a difference: one is can't pay; one is won't pay. 

Keep paying the rest.
The world would see the difference.
Heck, the world would probably follow suit. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The Tanzanian president said he sent the samples to Tanzania's own state run health agency - not The WHO, and claims they came back positive.  This has not been verified. 

He then suspended the head of the lab.  He is in a fight with opposition parties regarding the number of COVID cases in the country which they say he is under-counting. 

He is also is touting a herbal tonic from Madagascar that is medically unproven as a treatment for COVID19.  Previously his plan to was to pray the virus away.

No doubt he’s a goofball, but I read it was the WHO and he kicked them out of Tanzania.  Is that fake news?

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

East Grand Forks just cancelled their June hockey camps.........80% of deaths are elderly/long term care patients but the young people that are almost entirely unaffected by Covid keep paying the price.  

Dude they canceled the Brick and the Ivan Hlinka...

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

It was meant more for those that don't have one of the best 10 year old hockey players on the continent.  A little different deal comparing local camps....full of local kids....versus invitationals that involve flying kids in from around the us and Canada 

5 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

While I completely disagree with any of these cancellations, I can at least see, given the hysteria, planning, travel, teams from all over the place, many teams wouldn't go or couldn't go... that those  tournaments would be cancelled.  Cancelling local events is absolutely nuts.  Sign a fricking waiver and gets go.

22 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

No doubt he’s a goofball, but I read it was the WHO and he kicked them out of Tanzania.  Is that fake news?

I checked a few articles that all said it was his own health dept that did the testing and used Africa CDC test kits.  None of them mentioned WHO but who knows what is true anymore. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I did not say default. 

I said void US debt held by China. 

And there's a difference: one is can't pay; one is won't pay. 

Keep paying the rest.
The world would see the difference.
Heck, the world would probably follow suit. 

I'm not real familiar with T bond trading.  Are they not frequently traded on the open market?  Would we be able to identify and nullify only the China-held bonds?  Would we be able to prevent the sale of the China-held bonds to others around the world?  Assuming this all takes planning, would we be able to act and lock down the market before China finds out and launches a fire-sale?  Would other countries holding America's debt trust that we would not do the same to them in the future?  The idea of punching a hole in China's bank account while making our balance sheet better sounds nice, but how feasible is it while maintaining our financial system?

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm not real familiar with T bond trading.  Are they not frequently traded on the open market?  Would we be able to identify and nullify only the China-held bonds?  Would we be able to prevent the sale of the China-held bonds to others around the world?  Assuming this all takes planning, would we be able to act and lock down the market before China finds out and launches a fire-sale?  Would other countries holding America's debt trust that we would not to do the same to them in the future?  The idea of punching a hole in China's bank account while making our balance sheet better sounds nice, but how feasible is it while maintaining our financial system?

Only thing you could do is freeze payments to Chinese investors.  They would dump those bonds then, driving the price down.  At a certain yield it would paralyze our ability to issue more debt, because we’d have to up the yield at par I.e high interest...  Then everything that’s pegged off us treasuries would be impacted.  Including stocks and commodities and mortgages.  

It would devastate the world economy.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-05-11/more-than-a-billion-people-escaped-poverty-in-the-last-20-years-the-coronavirus-could-erase-those-gains

The economic devastation the pandemic wreaks on the ultra-poor could ultimately kill more people than the virus itself.....

The U.N. predicts the coronavirus could push an additional 130 million people to the brink of starvation by the end of 2020. World Vision, an international Christian aid organization, warns that 30 million children are at risk of dying.

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I’ve contended the locust swarms plaguing East Africa currently will ultimately kill more people globally than Covid. I wonder if we’ll have daily death updates for that from the media?

48 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Only thing you could do is freeze payments to Chinese investors.  They would dump those bonds then, driving the price down.  At a certain yield it would paralyze our ability to issue more debt, because we’d have to up the yield at par I.e high interest...  Then everything that’s pegged off us treasuries would be impacted.  Including stocks and commodities and mortgages.  

It would devastate the world economy.

This is what would happen.

I also want to be clear what it is that we're going to punish China for doing.   They concealed the presence of the coronavirus and actively tried to suppress the outbreak in Wuhan from international scrutiny and media coverage.   I guess how is that different than what you all have been advocating that we do for 235 pages now.   Either the disease is horrible and any government that works to conceal it from it's citizens and media is committing an atrocity or it's a nothingburger, in which case who can blame China for how they handled it.   It really can't be both.

Disclaimer:  Nothing above should be considered a defense of China.   China is governed by a murderous, autocratic regime that is carrying out an active genocide against the Uighur people and other ethnic minorities within the country.  The U.S. should be taking measures to minimize their influence across the globe and encourage leadership changes within the CCP and a removal of Xi from power but those measures are going to have to be a lot more skillful than launching a nuke or defaulting on our debt.   It's going to take statecraft that is completely lacking in this administration.

29 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

I also want to be clear what it is that we're going to punish China for doing.   They concealed the presence of the coronavirus and actively tried to suppress the outbreak in Wuhan from international scrutiny and media coverage.   I guess how is that different than what you all have been advocating that we do for 235 pages now.   Either the disease is horrible and any government that works to conceal it from it's citizens and media is committing an atrocity or it's a nothingburger, in which case who can blame China for how they handled it.   It really can't be both.

Disclaimer:  Nothing above should be considered a defense of China.   China is governed by a murderous, autocratic regime that is carrying out an active genocide against the Uighur people and other ethnic minorities within the country.  Donald J. Trump  has been taking measures to minimize their influence across the globe and encourage leadership changes within the CCP and a removal of Xi from power but those measures are going to have to be a lot more skillful than launching a nuke or defaulting on our debt.   It's going to take statecraft that is completely lacking in this administration.

fixed

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2020 at 3:28 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Telling healthy people they are Orange Man badlike for not wearing a face pantie in public is absurdly unintelligent.

Kind of ironic now that Trump himself made a directive that staffers and visitors to the West Wing must wear masks unless they are sitting at their desks and able to socially distance. Most of these people are tested frequently (daily), so in essence, he's requiring healthy people to wear masks to be at work.

Also a bit interesting that the directive does not apply to him personally. Rules for thee but not for me?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

Disclaimer:  Nothing above should be considered a defense of China.   China is governed by a murderous, autocratic regime that is carrying out an active genocide against the Uighur people and other ethnic minorities within the country.  The U.S. should be taking measures to minimize their influence across the globe and encourage leadership changes within the CCP and a removal of Xi from power but those measures are going to have to be a lot more skillful than launching a nuke or defaulting on our debt.   It's going to take statecraft that is completely lacking in this administration.

Prior to Trump, the administrations for the last 30 years were complete wusses in dealing with China.  Everyone knew (both Rs and Ds) that China was a problem, and that the trade deals were absolute crap, but nobody had the guts to do anything about it.  Love him or hate him, Trump was the first to actually stand up to China and try to change that relationship.

As Yzerman said earlier, China has to be laughing their butt off at our reaction to this.

If China stopped/banned travel from Wuhan to other parts of China, but allowed tens of thousands of  folks from Wuhan to travel internationally that's a problem.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

The economic devastation the pandemic wreaks on the ultra-poor could ultimately kill more people than the virus itself.....

The U.N. predicts the coronavirus could push an additional 130 million people to the brink of starvation by the end of 2020. World Vision, an international Christian aid organization, warns that 30 million children are at risk of dying.

From what I'm hearing from the left, all we need to do is get these people more tests and everything will be fine.  

• Upvote 1

May I suggest that congress and the press go on a cruise and come back when the virus is gone 

talked to a lefty today and China didn’t have anything to do with the spread of this

maybe he should be on the cruise too

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Weren't his fifteen minutes up five weeks ago?

I discount everything Fauci says now.  I’ve had it with him and all the other “academics” that now are on the path of no future unless we vaccinate the world against covid.  

nobody shall do anything.  We must isolate, contact trace, test everybody for covid like a diabetic tests their sugar.   Sheep please cower in your homes.  You shall have no hope until the royals deem it okay. 

• Upvote 2

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic