SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think this is something they could have waited a few more weeks on.

I really feel bad for these kids, they're missing a lot of events in their life they'll never get back. 

Graduation night was one of the coolest events in my school days. The class of 2020 will never get that. 

Legion Ball is pretty big in the midwest, they could've held off and took a wait and see attitude. 

Just now, Cratter said:

Dont bars clean the glasses by dunking them in sanitizing water then usually immediately in rinse water?

Is that going to be a big spreader of coronavirus?

The old way wasn't good enough and sure as heck isn't now.  Those glasses were never "cleaned".

• Upvote 2

On 5/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

don't like your job find a different one

Not that I agree with it, but does your opinion also apply to those who are furloughed, or lost jobs?  

Working conditions are too dangerous for you?….yea life isn't fair. Quit protesting, find a different job.  
Laid off or furloughed?…….yea life isn't fair. Quit protesting and find a different job.  

9 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Not that I agree with it, but does your opinion also apply to those who are furloughed, or lost jobs?  

Working conditions are too dangerous for you?….yea life isn't fair. Quit protesting, find a different job.  
Laid off or furloughed?…….yea life isn't fair. Quit protesting and find a different job.  

yes...didn't like the job you were furloughed from....find a different one you like better.

On 5/9/2020 at 2:55 PM, Oxbow6 said:

Just heard the revenue lost from healthcare systems in this country during the first quarter of 2020 was close to $500B. If I remember the lockdowns were done as to not overwhelm hospital system so instead the lockdown in going to kill off healthcare systems financially.

You're missing the forest for the trees. 

This country’s lack of direction, preparation, execution and politicization of Covid is what's gonna kill healthcare systems.  We locked-down but never implemented the next step.  Had we not half-a$$ed our response most states could've opened-up long ago.    Yzerman19 described it well - for political reasons we navigated the middle.  

7 hours ago, UND1983 said:

A Dem California legislator just comes out and says it and seems proud.  Why work?  The government is paying you more to stay home.  

i'm not sure exactly how ND works, leave alone California but if you get called back to work and refuse then you are denied unemployment benefits.  My knowledge is quite dated and definitely not up to date as far as corona specific.

19 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

You're missing the forest for the tress. 

This country’s lack of direction, preparation, execution and politicization of Covid is what's gonna kill healthcare systems.  We locked-down but never implemented the next step.  Had we not half-a$$ed our response most states could've opened-up long ago.    Yzerman19 described it well - for political reasons we navigated the middle.  

lack of direction?  whose fault is that...gavin newsome could announce tomorrow that schools are open, all businesses are essential...all are open,....everything back to normal....what's stoppping him?????????????

It seems now, in retrospect, that the plan should’ve been to:

full shutdown for 30 days to flatten the curve (this made sense to everyone based on a lack of data and fear of an overwhelmed healthcare system).  Healthcare providers and other necessary employees in physical contact with people should’ve been tested frequently to avoid accidental incubation and spreading.  30 days also encompasses even the longest witnessed incubation period.  

Days 30-45 should’ve been calculated re-openings on a broad scale with randomized testing...pivot region specific as needed.  Those over 65 and those with compromised immune systems would remain in full quarantine.  Outdoor activity and Children’s activities wide open.  Antibody testing to gather stats and support IVIG.

Days 45-60 should’ve been an essential return to normal  for all but those in skilled nursing facilities and severely immune compromised that would remain in quarantine.

messaging that this is not the holy angel of death, but that Americans will die. Don’t visit grandma.  Don’t be afraid.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Life is managing risk.

We are past the risk of overwhelming ND hospitals.

We now must manage the risk of losing some of them. 

Like any competent country does, sheltering-in-place is augmented with mass testing, followed by quarantining those infected, followed by mass tracing, followed by mass anti-body testing. The point is to stay ahead of the Covid spread, after which you can formulate a step by step process to open based on readily available info and criteria being met.  Unfortunately we don't even have mass testing available to citizens.

Is this process intrusive?  Without a doubt.  Rightly or wrongly, this is the plan we chose by initiating the lock-down.  But we half-a$$ed it.  

If you’re gonna do something, you go ‘all-in’.  We didn’t.  And here we are stuck in neutral.  

• Upvote 2

In summary:  time should’ve been the measure

24 hour news cycle delivered by biased sources doomed us.  As did our division as a nation.

i respect a Obama, but his statement about division is a Trojan horse.  He says we must unite...but unite under a particular worldview..there can be no unity with this much division.

I’m personally a bootstrap guy.  Government is not our shield.  I believe America is special and yes, better than other countries.  

cant bubble wrap the world.  My great grandfathers fought in the trenches in France.  Lost 3 children to disease.  Sent 3 boys to the Pacific Theater and 1 to Europe.  1 grandson to Vietnam. They did not believe in safety above all else and they created the basis upon which I am able to thrive.  You keep going forward. You will experience pain and loss...but also joy and love...it’s called life.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Are people being denied testing opportunities around the country?

Does rationed equate to denial if you can’t get one because there is no reason to believe you need one other than academic or for you to feel okay visiting grandma?  

royal “you” not UND1983

13 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Are people being denied testing opportunities around the country?

In many places tests are rationed based on what people's symptoms are. 

I feel healthy as ever; which means I'd have a hell of a difficult time trying to get a test where I live.  Then again, I could just as well be asymptomatic.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

Dont bars clean the glasses by dunking them in sanitizing water then usually immediately in rinse water?

Is that going to be a big spreader of coronavirus?

I used to do just, cold soapy water with spinning brushes, then a cold rinse dunk and onto a towel to air dry.   very very very small town bar, but I mixed pretty strong to kill of any ickies, lol

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

You're missing the forest for the trees. 

Hardly.

But I agree with the last sentence. The political part.

We didn't half ass anything......we got Fauici'd. He does deserve a lot of credit for this mess.

Wanna talk about someone who missed the concept of the forest. 

• Upvote 3