SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Omaha -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

After the celebration last weekend, you could see this coming from a mile away. Playoffs start tomorrow. 

Exactly.  Championship hangover has happened before and will happen again.  I thought since they didn’t play the next night after clinching, they would avoid it. Knowing who they would have to share it with, I thought they would get the outright clinching done tonight so they could play it safe tomorrow, but now with Senior night for the Mavs and the confidence we gave them, we need to really step it up tomorrow.

8 hours ago, crb1 said:

I thought the a team tried to avoid even touching the Penrose cup as to not jinx themselves. This team certainly didn’t do that. 

There was also a quote later from a coach(?) as saying in hindsight they regretted not celebrating with the cup that year.

And moving forward were going to encourage the team to enjoy future ones.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Thome has been solid overall in each game he’s played so far. Berry should have let Thome start until he had a bad game like Scheel. He has been just as good as Scheel if not better.

I agree with this. The only reason Thome isn’t starting is because Scheel had a good 1st part of the season and was pegged as the #1 before the season started. Thome hasn’t had a bad game and has been the better goalie since Christmas. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Gma loves hockey said:

I think killing the 5 on 3 penalty in the first period helped Omaha really get into the game.    Plus losing 2 players for us in the first did hurt us also.   But I agree, the team playing for UND didn't seem like the one we have been enjoying.

It scares me a bit that we look like last year's team (plus Pinto) lately.  

10 hours ago, crb1 said:

UND was getting tossed around all night. I don’t think I have seen them play worse all season. Extremely disappointing performance. 

You know watching the game last night you and he was getting hit pretty hard,  i’m OK with that, But it seems like whenever UND starts hitting like that we get penalties :/

Scheel had a crap game, 2nd goal was terrible.   But everyone seems to already have forgotten his performance vs WMU last weekend to lock up a share of the Penrose, 2 goals on 43 shots .953 save % including some big times one at the end of Saturday's game. 

That being said, Thome deserves the net tonight. 

Let's go get that f'ing Penrose tonight and extend UMD's streak without a regular season championship to 27 years!

• Upvote 2