SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Do we agree that the weight reduction of lineman was a failure - my question is how did it happen? Seems to me a major failure - an unforced error 

why do these things happen to us?

For whatever reason seems like hardly anybody has mentioned the new OL coach or called him out.  I'm sure this was his idea, he needs to take some responsibility for that bonehead move.  We all thought we were getting an upgrade at OL coach, opposite results on the field this year however.   If we can get a running game with this passing game, then we've got something.  OL coach better show his worth this next year or he needs to be gone.  I guess we all thought he was good because he came from Iowa, he needs to show something.  

I can understand the thinking of wanting to have a slim, fast line but in order for that to work they need to be strong as hell and able to use angles/positioning/technique to gain leverage that they lose along with the mass. That obviously did not happen and so the end result was just an undersized offensive line unable to get a push. 

12 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

For whatever reason seems like hardly anybody has mentioned the new OL coach or called him out.  I'm sure this was his idea, he needs to take some responsibility for that bonehead move.  We all thought we were getting an upgrade at OL coach, opposite results on the field this year however.   If we can get a running game with this passing game, then we've got something.  OL coach better show his worth this next year or he needs to be gone.  I guess we all thought he was good because he came from Iowa, he needs to show something.  

Makes me long for the days of those Rod Carey OLs.

11 minutes ago, siouxfb said:

Yes...we were an unstoppable offense during that time period...scored at will...nope. I have nothing for or against either coach but let’s not make stuff up. 

?  we definitely could run the ball when rod was around...hence his promo to fbs.

20 minutes ago, siouxfb said:

Yes...we were an unstoppable offense during that time period...scored at will...nope. I have nothing for or against either coach but let’s not make stuff up. 

Nice take. We had some hogs when he was here. He busted their asses every day. Now he’s an FBS head coach. Must’ve happened by accident.

18 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Do we agree that the weight reduction of lineman was a failure - my question is how did it happen? Seems to me a major failure - an unforced error 

why do these things happen to us?

Actually these things don't just "happen" to us - they are self inflicted.  And the short answer as to why is because Bubba.

18 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

How are you sure this was his idea??  I’m not sure you build a program by bringing in a new coach and give him 2 years or he is gone. You won’t get coaches to come to a program that does that. I have heard nothing but good things about him. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Nice take. We had some hogs when he was here. He busted their asses every day. Now he’s an FBS head coach. Must’ve happened by accident.

I’m not arguing that. He was a great coach and did push people hard...but our offense and oline were average at that time...not great. That being said I think our new oline coach is also going to be very good. 

• Upvote 1

QB position is very important. Thus far, UND has Tommy Schuster and 1 high school recruit committed for 2020 roster. It is crucial Danny Freund brings in at least 1 FBS drop down, a JuCo standout, and maybe another high school recruit. 

I have faith Danny can coach ‘em up, but need the talent to start with. I say let’s get some FBS caliber guys.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, siouxfb said:

I’m not arguing that. He was a great coach and did push people hard...but our offense and oline were average at that time...not great. That being said I think our new oline coach is also going to be very good. 

People I’ve heard from are very high on him as a coach. 

On 12/7/2019 at 11:32 PM, UNDBIZ said:

As long as he picked the right guys, he certainly got his OL recruits committed early! 

While this may be a great OL class, getting their commitment early doesn't relate to their quality.  There are many examples of this in the past.  They have to be the "right" kids!

On 12/7/2019 at 9:16 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

QB position is very important. Thus far, UND has Tommy Schuster and 1 high school recruit committed for 2020 roster. It is crucial Danny Freund brings in at least 1 FBS drop down, a JuCo standout, and maybe another high school recruit. 

I have faith Danny can coach ‘em up, but need the talent to start with. I say let’s get some FBS caliber guys.

Very well said.  Would you be more in the market for an RPO type kid that runs it better than he chucks it or a sit back in the pocket kid?

Hopefully at least one new QB is on campus for spring ball.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2019 at 10:29 PM, geaux_sioux said:

People I’ve heard from are very high on him as a coach. 

I don't doubt that at all.  But the mystery remains about where the great "we need a lighter line" experiment originated.  In my mind this was a fiasco. 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:47 PM, Irish said:

Actually these things don't just "happen" to us - they are self inflicted.  And the short answer as to why is because Bubba.

I don't know whose fault it is that our OL is undersized. However, Knauf getting canned was a great move for this program. Literally, the only thing he had going for him was that he played for Wisconsin. There is a reason he isn't coaching anymore.....

24 minutes ago, AJS said:

https://undfootball360.com/news/a-360-look-ahead-to-2020-season/

As usual, great write up. Completely in agreement with the two positions they mention the need to bring in transfers. We'll see how the roster shakes out, there doesn't appear to be a lot of holes, but the areas there are, they are big. 

Any news on Mortel?  

Likely to retire. Huge blow for the team and really unfortunate for a guy who busted his ass to gain over 50lbs in 2 years.

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020-21 Football Season