SiouxSports.com Forum

UNC GDT

F'n Hawks

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

No, it was stupid. Grover was just as qualified to give that obvious hand off.

Grover likely took 3rd string snaps all week and ran scout team.  If he comes in and for some reason fumbles you would have been the first to get on the staff for playing a guy not prepared.  

Could it happen that Schuster has to play three more games this year, yeah but again if that happens we are in the quarters or semis and him losing a year of eligibility is the furthest from anyone’s mind.  

You set your depth chart and go with it.  

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Literally anyone but Schuster who regularity takes snaps. Not gonna lie though, when he went in I was hoping Danny would have him throw one since nobody would expect that.

i'm with you...thought he would do the same play they ran on the first play of the second half against sammy state!

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

You do know Shuster played just one down Saturday?

Any notion of "serious conversations" goes out the window with what happened Saturday.

By goofing up with the insertion of Schuster  into the game Saturday  I was implying that I would hope they have some serious conversations now on what to do with those type situations. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Literally anyone but Schuster who regularity takes snaps. Not gonna lie though, when he went in I was hoping Danny would have him throw one since nobody would expect that.

He didn’t get a chance to warm up. Came in cold. 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, iramurphy said:

We can fuss all we want about coaching decisions. There isn’t going to be a coaching change. Those of you who want a change don’t seem willing to write a 6 figure check,  which wouldn’t cover the entire cost of a change. I believe Chaves is more focused on increasing resources available for coaching salaries, resources and facilities.  With that in mind, it seems to me discussing staff change is a moot point. Doesn’t really matter what I think. 

You are certainly right. Discussing coaching change is a moot point at this point in time. When Bubba’s contract is up for renewal, then perhaps we can discuss. UND doesn’t have the financial resources to terminate a contract with multiple years remaining. I think that point (i.e., the lack of resources to have contract termination even be an option) is the source of frustration that gets supporters fired up. It is this same lack of resources that makes HPC Phase II very difficulty to construct. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

The player makes the decision. The player makes the decision. Everyone repeat after me. The player makes the decision. 

If that's true in Skokna's case, we need to find a coaching staff with better judgement, leadership, and commitment toward what's best for the program. End of story.

24 minutes ago, SteppenHawk said:

When "effort" does not bring results, then it might be time to question "ability" but I digress. We'll have to wait until next season either way.

My only point is these guys are committed to the program.  I don’t believe their commitment is an issue. 

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Questioning play calling, game management, progress, recruiting etc I understand. We aren’t winning enough and program doesn’t seem to be improving fast enough for many. If you question commitment to the program you lose credibility with me. That certainly isn’t an issue with this staff. These guys are working their tails off. They care about each other, our players, the program and the University. There is no lack of effort or energy on the part of this staff. 

Fair enough.  I'll revise my comment to say better judgement about what's best for the program.  Burning Skokna's redshirt to play in a couple of playoff games is one thing, but burning it to play against UNC or SUU is inexcusable, even  if the kid was pushing for it.  Some will say you can't predict the future, one play and his career could be over, etc, but that works both ways. It's a much safer bet that if we don't make the playoffs this year, 3 years from now we'll all wish he had redshirted.  I'm tired of trading kid's best year for their worst year.

1 hour ago, Sioux95 said:

Fair enough.  I'll revise my comment to say better judgement about what's best for the program.  Burning Skokna's redshirt to play in a couple of playoff games is one thing, but burning it to play against UNC or SUU is inexcusable, even  if the kid was pushing for it.  Some will say you can't predict the future, one play and his career could be over, etc, but that works both ways. It's a much safer bet that if we don't make the playoffs this year, 3 years from now we'll all wish he had redshirted.  I'm tired of trading kid's best year for their worst year.

It's the kid's choice. If he has a plan to graduate in 4 years and he is good enough to play in his freshman year, he doesn't get redshirted. Unless you'd only want him for 3 years on the field. 

• Upvote 2

Folks are all wound up about one play. A play that will ultimately mean nothing is my suspicion. 

What folks should be wound up about is a continuing pattern that should be addressed, namely this play early in the 4th quarter:

4th and 7 at UNC, Brady Leach field goal attempt from 46 MISSED - wide left, spot at UNC29, clock 13:38.

That left it a 14 point (2 score) game. Hitting that FG makes it 17 points, 3 scores. 

A make would have driven out any hope from UNC.

Instead it gave hope to the Bears and made it a game when it shouldn't have been at that point. 

A team with killer instinct hits those plays and removes all hope from the opponent.

That crushing of any hope of come-back is what I've never seen from a Bubba Schweigert team. 

I say that because right now the #1 team in FCS has most teams beat in the Monday film session: They know they have no hope. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Folks are all wound up about one play. A play that will ultimately mean nothing is my suspicion. 

What folks should be wound up about is a continuing pattern that should be addressed, namely this play early in the 4th quarter:

4th and 7 at UNC, Brady Leach field goal attempt from 46 MISSED - wide left, spot at UNC29, clock 13:38.

That left it a 14 point (2 score) game. Hitting that FG makes it 17 points, 3 scores. 

A make would have driven out any hope from UNC.

Instead it gave hope to the Bears and made it a game when it shouldn't have been at that point. 

A team with killer instinct hits those plays and removes all hope from the opponent.

That crushing of any hope of come-back is what I've never seen from a Bubba Schweigert team. 

I say that because right now the #1 team in FCS has most teams beat in the Monday film session: They know they have no hope. 

I agree with your last point, but using a missed FG as proof of lack of killer instinct is not a viable argument if only because the kicking game has been an issue for a long time and pervades more issues than killer instinct. Though lets not forget the kicker won a game this year with a same length FG.

3 minutes ago, shep said:

... the kicking game has been an issue for a long time and pervades more issues than killer instinct. 

A team* with killer instinct fixes continuing known obvious shortcomings. 

Not addressing known shortcomings is goin'-along, gettin'-along, flowin'-along down the stream. 

*Team, from head coach down to waterboy