SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Du Saturday Gameday

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Observations on the weekend...

1. Scheel has got to be named the NCHC goaltender of the week after his performance. He made a ton of grade A saves over the weekend, none bigger than robbing Ian Mitchell on the doorstep Friday evening. Mitchell raised his arms in celebration, that’s how badly he got robbed! The DU fans went nuts too, thinking they had scored!

2. DU’s powerplay needs work. Not only did they go an 0-fer all weekend, they were sloppy and disorganized. Case in point:  DU coughed up the puck near their own blue line (thank you, Cole Guttman) that led to Cole Smith’s shorty. UND also had a breakaway while down 5 on 3 which Bowen got robbed on, a shot that rang off the post. UND was very active and aggressive on the PK all weekend which gave DU problems they never adjusted to.

3. The # of UND fans in attendance was fantastic! And they brought the noise too! I know for a fact this is a serious annoyance to DU fans. My response to DU is-get better fan support and then there won’t be as many UND fans in attendance. 

4. I didn’t see Smith’s 5 minute major so I can’t comment on it but on Frisch’s 5 minute major, I thought giving him a 5 was a bit excessive. The DU player lost an edge, causing him to lose balance, getting in the awkward position that he got into as he went into the boards. It even looked like Frisch pulled up once he saw the DU player lower his head. 

5. DU didn’t have the swagger it normally has. Every time UND chipped the puck into a corner of DU’s end, the UND forwards just absolutely swarmed the DU defensemen, and in waves. DU also had difficulty skating with the puck through the neutral zone. I think DU is still an excellent team and will be in the mix down the stretch but they got a dose of reality that this UND team is no Niagara, Alaska, or Lake Superior State.

6. All the credit to Smith for his nifty little deke on the short handed breakaway last night! He got Chrona to open up his legs so wide, Smith could’ve scored shooting a beach ball!  

7. Emilio Pettersen will be having nightmares over that missed gaping net on Friday night. Less than 2 minutes into the game, DU went on the power play and Pettersen missed a wide open net. Had he scored, who knows what the tone of the game might have been the rest of the way as DU had a lot of energy in the first ten minutes of the weekend and it would’ve had UND chasing from very early on.

8. Scheel was very active stopping/slowing down dump ins behind his net for his D men to retrieve. He did a noticeable job so much so that Henessey even complimented him in the post game last night, saying that Scheel is noticeably better in that particular facet of his game. Kudos to Karl Goehring for the work he’s done with the goalies in addition to his work with the forwards and the PP units.

9. Kudos to Coach Berry and his staff for giving the thumbs up and a round of applause to all the UND fans after Saturday night’s game! That meant a lot to the North Dakota fans to get that kind of visual acknowledgement from the coaching staff! 

AMEN

• Upvote 2

Really well played game from the guys last night. Excellent job by the PK coming up big time and killing off a couple very bad calls. Scheel was excellent all weekend. The guys definitely looked like they were out to prove something this weekend which was great to see. Now gotta back it up next weekend against St. Cloud. Got a good laugh at the guys waving bye to their student section and making fun of that stupid whiteboard when they were celebrating the win at the net after the final buzzer.

Before the game, if you told me we would play for over 20 minutes with a manpower disadvantage:

15 minutes of 5x4

3 minutes of 5x3

2 1/2 minutes of 6x5

I probably would not have predicted we win 4-1.  Kudos to the boys for playing through all that - takes focus and grit to keep playing the systems when faced with that kind of disadvantage.   Not to mention the conditioning required for several long shifts in there.

Well done.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

How is Carle going to punish them come practice on Monday for THREE too many men penalties in one weekend?

Correct me if I’m wrong but those bench minors are on the coaching staff as well. Mis-communication between the coaches and the players as to who’s going out next. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Really well played game from the guys last night. Excellent job by the PK coming up big time and killing off a couple very bad calls. Scheel was excellent all weekend. The guys definitely looked like they were out to prove something this weekend which was great to see. Now gotta back it up next weekend against St. Cloud. Got a good laugh at the guys waving bye to their student section and making fun of that stupid whiteboard when they were celebrating the win at the net after the final buzzer.

I agree, everybody that thought Denver was unbeatable and are so positive now will sing a different tune if we give that all back this weekend against a desperate St. Cloud team.  Need the players to have that same killer instinct they had this past weekend.  Hopefully they know they can take one more step in carving out a bit of history for themselves by sweeping St. Cloud, then Alabama Huntsville and get the longest home winning streak in the new Engelstad.

29 minutes ago, Siouxperior said:

Shortie
No look pass from Caulfield  --> 1st Reiger goal
Sea of green in the stands  --> home game
Business suits 
SCHEEL!!
PK!!!
Behind the back pass from Senden to Smith for a great chance

Just a few of the things that have me smiling this morning

And beautiful saucer passes for days. Like NHL level saucer passes that hit the tape time after time.

53 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

If you zoom in you can see them flipping the bird at the team :lol:

4D6B9422-1D4D-4B92-9F39-00436FE51F10.jpeg

Most notable observations for me were the PK (excellent energy all weekend, especially on the multiple 5 minute calls and 5X3's), the movement as a group up ice, and the strong forecheck.  If this team stays hungry, they are going to win a lot more games this year.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

If you zoom in you can see them flipping the bird at the team :lol:

4D6B9422-1D4D-4B92-9F39-00436FE51F10.jpeg

If you watch the end of the highlights, they show the team surrounding Scheel, celebrating and then some of the players start making hand gestures back at the students. I figured they were probably flipping the players the bird.