SiouxSports.com Forum

BSU @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

Good to get out of that one with a win. Bemidji was the hungrier team, the more urgent team, and the team that executed better for about 50ish minutes tonight.
UND just seemed a half second slow with everything for most of the night.
Nobody really had a great game but I thought Mismash and Blaisdell had some solid play as far as forwards go. Caulfield was solid in his limited opportunities too.
For as good as Hain was watching him opening weekend he was non-existent tonight. I don't think the line changes tonight helped him out at all. I think I'd keep him with at least one of Mismash, Michaud, and Pinto.
Think Frisch needs to be a little bit more aggressive with his offense. Seemed a little hesitant at times and I think part of it is just being more confident and trusting yourself. Had a couple solid shot looks where he chipped it back in the corner instead.

Thoughts:

-Big save by Scheel to get it to OT after they tied it.

-Line changes in the third made a big difference.  

-Peski was our best d man.  Pooly not sharp at all.

-Can we play desperately all the time?

-I didn't think 16-18-29 would work.  Wrong again Wilbur (don't tell my wife)

Anything less than a sweep is unacceptable (copyright....???)

I found myself yelling at my TV screen "what the hell was that"? way too many times tonight.  UND has not had an opponent that is in their face as much as BSU so far.  For half the game, they looked like they did not know how to counter at all.

Then, late in the 2nd, they finally started playing with some real pace, and moving more as a 5 man unit.  That was the difference maker.   Always a good early season opponent, because it makes these guys realize they are not going to win without pace and awareness.  Be sharp or lose.

I've just spent the last couple of hours emailing NCHC.TV/Neulion/Sidearm trying to get my streaming account fixed.  They took my money, but cancelled by subscription.  Anyway, they just admitted the error and fixed it.  Did I miss anything???

2 minutes ago, Sundog said:

I've just spent the last couple of hours emailing NCHC.TV/Neulion/Sidearm trying to get my streaming account fixed.  They took my money, but cancelled by subscription.  Anyway, they just admitted the error and fixed it.  Did I miss anything???

Nope.  Not a thing.

(Watch the archived game).

Pinto was the best player on the ice.

You forget how good Bast is in all 3 zones when he's not out there.

Agree with Wilbur.....29 16 18 need to be together tomorrow. 

22 11 and........??? Blaisdell would be my choice.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'd go Hain.  Blaisdell fits too.  My heart says give Judd a chance because of the extra skater rule, but his skating just isn't there yet.  Maybe I'm wrong.  They tried Bowen, but didn't really gel. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I thought Adams had a really good game at center. Didn't like the move initially to put Michaud on the wing because he's really good defensively, but Adams really excelled. That was one of the best offensive games I've seen 18 play.

Pinto is just so solid. 

Missed Bast tonight, for sure.

43 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I thought Adams had a really good game at center. Didn't like the move initially to put Michaud on the wing because he's really good defensively, but Adams really excelled. That was one of the best offensive games I've seen 18 play.

Pinto is just so solid. 

Missed Bast tonight, for sure.

I actually thought it was the right move. I had mentioned it to a friend last weekend actually. He is good defensively but was also really struggling on Faceoffs (35%) and we have other guys who can win them right now. 

16 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I actually thought it was the right move. I had mentioned it to a friend last weekend actually. He is good defensively but was also really struggling on Faceoffs (35%) and we have other guys who can win them right now. 

I certainly don't disagree in the faceoff category, but still think he's really good defensively and should play in the middle. However, he was still good defensively and Adams was great offensively, so it paid off.

The season is young and hopefully this team will put it together.  I would be less concerned if I hadn't watched our team flail about in a similar fashion all last year.  If I were to describe our championship year's team I would use terms like crisp, hard forecheck,  relentless, snipers, and deadly.  It is amazing that I see so little of that now.  It is just like night and day.  We need to figure things out and hopefully we will.  I hope the changes put into place will take effect.  Still, it was nice to get a win out of this mess of a game.

2 hours ago, Irish said:

The season is young and hopefully this team will put it together.  I would be less concerned if I hadn't watched our team flail about in a similar fashion all last year.  If I were to describe our championship year's team I would use terms like crisp, hard forecheck,  relentless, snipers, and deadly.  It is amazing that I see so little of that now.  It is just like night and day.  We need to figure things out and hopefully we will.  I hope the changes put into place will take effect.  Still, it was nice to get a win out of this mess of a game.

The last 7 minutes of the third period I saw minor glimpses of that relentless tenacious attack mentality that was the the key to many successful teams of years past.  

Apples to oranges, but the way the Adam's line played in the last part of the third was like watching the Hoogsteen brothers under Blais.  Could not be stopped.  Only buried one chance, but they were rolling every other shift.  

Now the first 50 minutes.....rewind to last year as you said sir....

I'm hoping the team culture is better this year.  I swear to Parise I thought to myself last year that they didn't really celebrate much when they scored (not a measure of how often they didn't score).   The celebration is as much about team unity and congratulating teammates as it is self congratulations.   I mean, it's always good to act like you've done it before, but there seems to be more spontaneity with this group.   This might be a figment of my imagination--like the way Kate Upton wants to ditch Verlander for me.  

Very interested to see how tonight's game will go, can't really disagree with anything that was said about last nights game, it was a really bad performance for most of the night. Small sample size, but we've seen a lot more quality / solid performances as last night was the first time this year they were completely out of sorts. The one thing that sticks out to me as the difference between last year and this year in this type of game, is having Pinto. What I mean is last year, when they couldn't score, it felt like they would never score. Every time Pinto is on the ice, I have hope the tide can turn. I wish they didn't switch off of Blaisdell so fast in the 3rd, I really liked him with Pinto / Michaud. 

A wins a win, you're not going to find a team in the country that doesn't have a couple games like this every year. Huge to come out on top and I'm guessing we see a much improved team tonight.

• Upvote 1