SiouxSports.com Forum

Onto Sam Houston

UNDBIZ

We are once again involved in one of the games of the week, but Athlon picks Sam Houston to win.  If we win this game, we'll probably be in one of the games of the week when we come to play EWU and maybe Davis.  We need this game.  

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-predictions-best-10-games-week-3?fbclid=IwAR0PGdUBsDJxEhf5YGx6uOWdZBirXwt3HRMSsjEu6kvhyyxnEm5j4UGQV0M 

26 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Weren't they saying that last week going into the game, but then Grover went in after they took Zimm out.   Interesting. 

My guess is they weren't going to burn one of Schuster's 4 games when it was already decided. Save them in case you really need them, like what UND could have been able to with Studsrud his true freshman year when he had to play the last 4 games out of necessity.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jdub27 said:

My guess is they weren't going to burn one of Schuster's 4 games when it was already decided. Save them in case you really need them, like what UND could have been able to with Studsrud his freshman year when he had to play the last 4 games out of necessity his true freshman year.

Yeah that may be the case.  If Zimm gets hurt in 2nd quarter or something, maybe they would put in Shuster.  But if it's at the end of the game and the game has already been decided, no sense in putting Schuster in so they can save his 4 games.  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/incoming/4658795-UND-ready-to-be-tested-by-another-mobile-quarterback-against-Sam-Houston-State#.XXqi9xC7qPI.twitter

As the Fighting Hawks turn the page to No. 24 Sam Houston State and a 4 p.m. Saturday kickoff at the Alerus Center, UND expects to see another quarterback running threat from the Bearkats.

2 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Just once can we stop a dual threat QB, come on Smidtty it’s time !!

It would be great to be able to fully shut down a duel threat QB, but we really need to hurry him to force bad decisions that will hopefully lead to turnovers. No explosive runs of course.

6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Yeah that may be the case.  If Zimm gets hurt in 2nd quarter or something, maybe they would put in Shuster.  But if it's at the end of the game and the game has already been decided, no sense in putting Schuster in so they can save his 4 games.  

I’d rather see Boltman if that scenario happened. 

I think schematically (reupping my own link) UND can stop mobile QB's on the edge, tackling is the issue as we saw last week in the second level. If you limit the runs to 2-3 yards, then it is mitigated. UND was in place to stop the runs, just did not some times last week. 

https://seamoresports.com/2019/09/08/the-good-not-so-good-and-now-what/

12 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Pregame Podcast is out. this is going to be a good game!  They think there will be points scored.

https://undfootball360.com/news/undfb360-pregame-show-week-3-vs-sam-houston-state/

Upsetting that UND's defense is now being looked at as pedestrian. The UND defense had glimpses of success against NDSU, but ultimately their inability to stop NDSU's QB run game was their downfall in giving up 38 pts. 

Against Sam Houston State, it won't be the QB run game that will hurt UND's defense (but SHSU will try this too), but rather UND's ability (or lack thereof) to defend the passing game. UND needs to get pressure and make some plays on the ball and get interceptions. Blubaugh,  Leonard Nelson, Canady, Siegel, and Holm (if he plays) all need to be ready to make plays on the deep ball; don't be scared and MAKE IT HAPPEN!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

UND will be forced to stop the deep ball (emphasis here) AND the QB run game. Sam Houston State will certainly do both as both worked for NDSU against UND. 

Sam Houston will see it on film and try to duplicate it against UND. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

If Zimmerman gets hurt, UND will be in a lot of trouble. Get ready to bring in a losing season for UND and the calls for Bubba's dismissal will really be loud.

Be careful what you wish for. I'd suggest you hope Zimmerman stays healthy and his chemistry with the receivers continues to grow. It can't be overlooked just how important building chemistry with the receivers and getting comfortable with this new offense is for whoever is at QB. The idea that you can just plug and play someone off the bench, like Boltmann, and they will light it up is silly.

Hope for Zimmerman to continue to get reps, get more comfortable, and continue to ascend his level of play. 

31 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If Zimmerman gets hurt, UND will be in a lot of trouble. Get ready to bring in a losing season for UND and the calls for Bubba's dismissal will really be loud.

Be careful what you wish for. I'd suggest you hope Zimmerman stays healthy and his chemistry with the receivers continues to grow. It can't be overlooked just how important building chemistry with the receivers and getting comfortable with this new offense is for whoever is at QB. The idea that you can just plug and play someone off the bench, like Boltmann, and they will light it up is silly.

Hope for Zimmerman to continue to get reps, get more comfortable, and continue to ascend his level of play. 

What in my post makes you think I hope Zimm gets hurt so they have to put somebody else in?  I'm not hoping that at all, we are already on our 2nd string QB the last thing I'd want is another QB to go down, was just commenting on Schuster being listed now as the #2 ahead of Grover.  I do think Boltmann might be able to come in and be effective on a few plays here and there though, but this game is up to Zimm to make it happen.  Hopefully he'll have a better running game Saturday to help him out.  This is about as much of a must win game that you can have in week 3.  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

What in my post makes you think I hope Zimm gets hurt so they have to put somebody else in?  I'm not hoping that at all, we are already on our 2nd string QB the last thing I'd want is another QB to go down, was just commenting on Schuster being listed now as the #2 ahead of Grover.  I do think Boltmann might be able to come in and be effective on a few plays here and there though, but this game is up to Zimm to make it happen.  Hopefully he'll have a better running game Saturday to help him out.  This is about as much of a must win game that you can have in week 3.  

Lighten up Francis.....

21 minutes ago, sportfishin89 said:

Kat fan here... just wanted to stop in and talk some football.  Looking forward to the game on Saturday.   I am thinking this will be a tough game again  just like last year.  

I'm not sure what the over/under score is.  But I'm taking the over.