SiouxSports.com Forum

Enrollment

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

61.5%
And 63.3% of student-athletes opportunities (unduplicated)

I have heard that if the Athletic Department offices see 5-6 women from the Club Hockey team walking towards the building they lock the doors, turn off the lights and hide behind their desks.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Cratter said:

I'm jealous of a couple of things about NDSU.

Students on campus.

Helps with sports attendance.

And they get more area kids vs national/international.

That helps with alumni in the area that stay connected to the school.

Areas of improvement for UND.

There’s this from the UND release: “The enrollment of new freshmen from North Dakota has increased by more than 8%.”

• Upvote 3

On 9/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, farce poobah said:

NDSU should start a D-1 women's ice hockey team.  

@farce poobah, this may take a while on the paperwork seeing how NDSU just this month fired the vice provost overseeing ... Equal Opportunity and Title IX Compliance

https://www.ndsu.edu/vpfe/
https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/ndsu-documents-praise-ousted-female-vice-provost-but-also-criticize-her-handling-of-discrimination-case 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

@farce poobah, this may take a while on the paperwork seeing how NDSU just this month fired the vice provost overseeing ... Equal Opportunity and Title IX Compliance

https://www.ndsu.edu/vpfe/
https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/ndsu-documents-praise-ousted-female-vice-provost-but-also-criticize-her-handling-of-discrimination-case 

Soon, a leak where she proposed launching a D-1 women's ice hockey team.   Sadly, a Teammakers officer heard about it. 

Late to the party but the discussion of declining enrollment is the current hot topic at every college and university in the country.  The only schools l that aren't pushing the panic button are some of the more prestigious private universities.  10 year forecasts aren't good, look at the number of 3rd graders in grade schools (college freshmen in 10 years) compared to what they were a decade ago or two decades ago.  K through 2nd grade numbers are even lower.  Throw in AP courses in high school, the cost of obtaining an undergraduate degree, and the increase in employers who now are not requiring a college degree for many positions and you have the perfect storm for declining enrollment in higher education.  Some larger universities are projecting up to a 25% decline in enrollment in the next 10 years.  I wouldn't be surprised to see UND's enrollment hovering around 10,000 students in 2033.  Enrollment was around 13,000 if I remember correctly back in the mid-1980's when I attended.  40 years later it's just above 14,000.  I really believe we'll start seeing smaller schools in ND closing their doors if they can't draw students away from UND, NDSU and Minot and UND, NDSU and Minot cutting majors that are not profitable.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, 61hawk said:

Late to the party but the discussion of declining enrollment is the current hot topic at every college and university in the country.  The only schools l that aren't pushing the panic button are some of the more prestigious private universities.  10 year forecasts aren't good, look at the number of 3rd graders in grade schools (college freshmen in 10 years) compared to what they were a decade ago or two decades ago.  K through 2nd grade numbers are even lower.  Throw in AP courses in high school, the cost of obtaining an undergraduate degree, and the increase in employers who now are not requiring a college degree for many positions and you have the perfect storm for declining enrollment in higher education.  Some larger universities are projecting up to a 25% decline in enrollment in the next 10 years.  I wouldn't be surprised to see UND's enrollment hovering around 10,000 students in 2033.  Enrollment was around 13,000 if I remember correctly back in the mid-1980's when I attended.  40 years later it's just above 14,000.  I really believe we'll start seeing smaller schools in ND closing their doors if they can't draw students away from UND, NDSU and Minot and UND, NDSU and Minot cutting majors that are not profitable.

said it before......north dakota doesn't/can't afford a uni or college every 80 miles in every direction.....

can someone at the ndus be a "kennedy" and make some tough calls?

1 university and rest jucos or closed.

5 hours ago, 61hawk said:

Here are the enrollment figures for UND from 1884 to 2020.  13,000 wasn't attained until 2003.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

said it before......north dakota doesn't/can't afford a uni or college every 80 miles in every direction.....

can someone at the ndus be a "kennedy" and make some tough calls?

1 university and rest jucos or closed.

Many of these college require a vote of the people as they were established in the constitution.  Been tried before and not successful yet.  In 1889 probably an OK idea.  Today not so much.

8 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Many of these college require a vote of the people as they were established in the constitution.  Been tried before and not successful yet.  In 1889 probably an OK idea.  Today not so much.

just make all the non UND schools jucos.......we good then.

On 10/7/2023 at 1:49 PM, 61hawk said:

The cliff is real. I'm not seeing anything in that that isn't reality (aside from UND's enrollment in the 1980s). 

On 10/7/2023 at 8:03 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

constitution has them being 4 years?

Valley City, Mayville, Minot, and Dickinson are in the constitution as "normal schools" and normal schools were defined as teacher colleges.  Teaching requires a 4-year degree, so at least by my interpretation they constitutionally must remain providers of baccalaureate teaching degrees.  Now, they have certainly expanded well beyond that mission, resulting in significant duplication across the university system.  That can and should be addressed.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Valley City, Mayville, Minot, and Dickinson are in the constitution as "normal schools" and normal schools were defined as teacher colleges.  Teaching requires a 4-year degree, so at least by my interpretation they constitutionally must remain providers of baccalaureate teaching degrees.  Now, they have certainly expanded well beyond that mission, resulting in significant duplication across the university system.  That can and should be addressed.

back in the day going to these "normal/teacher schools"....did you go there exclusivlely to become a "teacher"....or could you get an engineering/accounting/science degree(s)?

Reading here, Minot State began as a 2-year teaching college and evolved into a 4 year university with a graduate school.

MSU was established in 1913 as Minot Normal School, a two-year normal school devoted to preparing teachers for service in northwestern North Dakota. In 1924, the Normal School at Minot began issuing baccalaureate degrees, which necessitated a name change to Minot State Teacher's College. Over time the range of academic offerings expanded. The school's name was shortened to Minot State College in 1964 and it became a university sometime in the eighties.