SiouxSports.com Forum

Enrollment

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

18 hours ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

What blows my mind is how other schools are going in the opposite direction.

St. Cloud State was over 18,000 back in 2010.  Last year they were at 10,093.  Will they even be over 10,000 this year?

Based on the link they do a "30th Day" enrollment which works out to very early October for them.
https://www.stcloudstate.edu/air/_files/documents/reports/enrollment/total-enrollment/fall-2022-total-enrollment.pdf 

For UND / NDSU, State funding really is the life blood of the University. It would make sense to me that things could snowball (harder to increase enrollment with less funding and vise versa). It really is high stakes every year, you just cannot start a downward spiral. Who knows, but I would almost prefer the Forum not to cover. For the simple reason is out of sight out of mind for alumns that might start putting pressure on the administration of NDSU. 

I chat with some NDSU folks and the ones who are on their campus every day have told me NDSU needed (and still needs) a "Schafer and Kennedy."

Those two came in to UND as business minds (owner or CFO) and cut the budget where it needed no matter whose sacred cow got gored.

They took about $500,000,000.00 of deferred maintenance off the budget books and in the process cleaned up the look of campus and freed up money for new and better projects. 

We're starting to see the dividends. 

• Upvote 4

On 9/20/2023 at 9:04 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Fall 2022 (NDSU): 12,242. Fall 2023: 11,952. Down 290. Yikes. And under 12k. 

This puts them back to 2003-ish numbers, ... two lost decades.
https://www.ndsu.edu/data/enrollment/annual/ 

The nasty in there is freshmen down 11.9%.

Makes one wonder if UND's approach (Nistler, Education, Union, new housing, then athletic facilities, call it "student body first") was better than shooting $50M at an NDSU FB facility and still not having raised the $25M to get $75M from the State to replace the NDSU Eng'g building. 

A school putting academics first, what a concept.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

For UND / NDSU, State funding really is the life blood of the University. It would make sense to me that things could snowball (harder to increase enrollment with less funding and vise versa). It really is high stakes every year, you just cannot start a downward spiral. Who knows, but I would almost prefer the Forum not to cover. For the simple reason is out of sight out of mind for alumns that might start putting pressure on the administration of NDSU. 

On the flip side, if I was considering NDSU (would never happen) for myself or my kid, and read that the enrollment is spiraling downhill, I would not have faith in their leadership and not go there.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

On the flip side, if I was considering NDSU (would never happen) for myself or my kid, and read that the enrollment is spiraling downhill, I would not have faith in their leadership and not go there.

Thinking logically, if we do not see a story in the Forum on enrollment numbers, it's because NDSU does not want the article written. You're probably right on your line of thinking.