SiouxSports.com Forum

Enrollment

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 2:12 PM, nodak651 said:

Anyone know anything about this?

I'm jumping into this late, but if this about fighting any changes to the 1500 flight hour rule for your commercial pilot license, then the pilots association is totally in the wrong. The 1500 hour rule was a stupid overreaction to a couple incidents that has probably ended up costing more lives than it's saved. Listen to very qualified pilots talk about the rule and see what they say about it. 

The 1500 hour rule mostly got pushed because of a couple accidents where two inexperienced pilots were paired together and ended up getting over their heads and crashed their planes, killing all on board. The root problem wasn't inexperience, it was either poor pilot scheduling by the airline(putting two inexperienced pilots together, or putting two pilots together that had the same weaknesses) or cases where a small budget airline expanded too quickly and could only afford hiring a bunch of new pilots that diluted the airline's talent pool to the point where they couldn't put at least one experienced pilot on every flight. The seemingly easy solution by Congress was to make all pilots experienced.

But the law of unintended consequences is a cast iron bitch. Where do those 1500 hours come from? Aspiring pilots can't afford to pay for them themselves. So these inexperienced pilots have to take jobs that count towards the 1500. And a lot of those jobs fall into two categories: way too simple or way too dangerous.

The way too simple jobs are like checking power lines. This is a really common job for young pilots to work up to their 1500. They're hired by the power company to just fly along the power lines to check for encroachment of vegetation or damage to the lines/towers. The pilots get into their light GA aircraft at a small airport, take off and fly visually to the power line for the day, then visually follow the line and check for problems, then they fly back to the same small airport or another one just like it before repeating the cycle again and again. After a hundred or so hours of this type of flying, the pilot plateaus and doesn't get any better. They're not getting any practice flying in and out of busy airports, or flying on instruments, or in the dark, or bad weather, or at high altitude, or any of a dozen other things that a commercial pilot needs to know. They end up with 1500 hours, but their real skill level is closer to 300.

Then there are the jobs that are way too dangerous. An example is banner flying. Those pilots have to fly a light aircraft at low speeds to pick up a banner off the ground(very dangerous), then they have to fly with the banner just a few knots above their aircraft's stall speed. If any little thing goes wrong, they crash and die. They can release the banner, but that has to happen before a certain point or it's too late. Many young pilots hold on just a few seconds too long, thinking they still have time to save things, but they don't. After that point, releasing the banner almost makes things worse. They go from a possibly controllable crash, to an uncontrolled one(often inverted). So why do inexperienced pilots do a job so dangerous? Because they need a way to get the 1500, the banner companies don't pay enough to get experienced pilots(there are much better jobs out there), and some young pilots still feel they are invulnerable.

The solution to the problem is to reduce the 1500 real flight hours and switch much of them to quality simulator time(paid for by the airlines as part of their training programs). In the simulator, the young pilots can be bombarded with complex scenarios constantly for months and examined all the while to get a super close look at what they're good and bad at. Then the later part of their sim training can focus on correcting their weaknesses instead of just reinforcing bad habits like the 1500 rule can end up doing. The rest of the world doesn't use the 1500 rule, and the nations with rules otherwise similar to ours have safety records that are every bit as good.

I only watch a few pilot channels closely, and every single one of them think the 1500 hour rule hurts far more than it helps. And they've got the receipts to prove it. 74 Gear, Mentour Pilot, and blancolirio just to name a few. If the pilot's association is so dead set against this reform, I would start asking why by following the money. I bet there's a reason they don't want it, and it's not about safety. Or the leadership fighting it is so far removed from what it's like to grind out the 1500 that they're completely out of touch with the realities.

• Like 2

Does anyone trust congress or the current administration to get anything right at this point?  The really sad point is that the static bureaucracy seems even worse.  The FAA appears to be too obsessed with changes such as the meaning of NOTAM (Notice to Airman to Notice to Air Missions) than updating outdated hardware/systems/software.  I am pessimistic that anything productive and/or safe will be done.

@Hammersmith, you're confusing me.

"1500" is too much, yet an experienced pilot with a not-so experienced is what you point out to start. You even say "at least one experienced pilot on every flight." But the only way to get experience is time. 

I'm not big on "rectally extracted" made-up numbers either, like 1500, but you need some standard. Maybe the number could be smaller with mandatory "diverse experiences" requirements (no more than 200 hours checking insulators on poles, no more than 200 pulling banners). There should be a minimum "stick time" so you don't take off, rack three hours on auto, then land. 

In the Navy nuke program you had to stand "hours" on watch as part of quals but it had to be during diverse plant operations (start ups, shut downs, plant realignments, electrical load switches). That made sense to me as much as the raw "time in the box" (watch officer standing watch) to feel acclimated just being in command. 

That said, 1500 doesn't sound crazy, yes expensive, not crazy. It is 8000 hours to become a journeyman electrician/lineman. It is another 2000 (to make 10,000) before you can write a master electrician license exam. 

In closing, the riff from my favorite private pilot: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots. 

• Upvote 1

In the ATC world, they run things with one-on-one trainers and evaluators.  You need a minimum of X number of days/months in a position.  You are observed by a trainer the entire time 1 on 1.  And once the trainer feels you are ready.  You are then observed in position with an evaluator.  After the evaluation period, you are either certified or placed back in training.  Basically, you get one more shot.  You fail more than once or take too long in position.  You are shown the door.

I wonder if something similar could be in done in pilot training with simulators prior to having actual seat time.  And Sicatoka, I had the same observation with his lead paragraph.  If I remember correctly, I believe icing had a major role in the accident he was talking about.

Icing?
Maybe that's another "mandatory hours" slice: In air over 90F; in air under -10F. If nothing else for the machinery effects. 

Funny was watching new neighbors from CA wondering why wiper fluid didn't work on their car in December. They'd only ever used water. I taught them about "the blue stuff" as they called it. If you don't know you don't know. 

12 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

I'm jumping into this late, but if this about fighting any changes to the 1500 flight hour rule for your commercial pilot license, then the pilots association is totally in the wrong. The 1500 hour rule was a stupid overreaction to a couple incidents that has probably ended up costing more lives than it's saved. Listen to very qualified pilots talk about the rule and see what they say about it. 

The 1500 hour rule mostly got pushed because of a couple accidents where two inexperienced pilots were paired together and ended up getting over their heads and crashed their planes, killing all on board. The root problem wasn't inexperience, it was either poor pilot scheduling by the airline(putting two inexperienced pilots together, or putting two pilots together that had the same weaknesses) or cases where a small budget airline expanded too quickly and could only afford hiring a bunch of new pilots that diluted the airline's talent pool to the point where they couldn't put at least one experienced pilot on every flight. The seemingly easy solution by Congress was to make all pilots experienced.

But the law of unintended consequences is a cast iron bitch. Where do those 1500 hours come from? Aspiring pilots can't afford to pay for them themselves. So these inexperienced pilots have to take jobs that count towards the 1500. And a lot of those jobs fall into two categories: way too simple or way too dangerous.

The way too simple jobs are like checking power lines. This is a really common job for young pilots to work up to their 1500. They're hired by the power company to just fly along the power lines to check for encroachment of vegetation or damage to the lines/towers. The pilots get into their light GA aircraft at a small airport, take off and fly visually to the power line for the day, then visually follow the line and check for problems, then they fly back to the same small airport or another one just like it before repeating the cycle again and again. After a hundred or so hours of this type of flying, the pilot plateaus and doesn't get any better. They're not getting any practice flying in and out of busy airports, or flying on instruments, or in the dark, or bad weather, or at high altitude, or any of a dozen other things that a commercial pilot needs to know. They end up with 1500 hours, but their real skill level is closer to 300.

Then there are the jobs that are way too dangerous. An example is banner flying. Those pilots have to fly a light aircraft at low speeds to pick up a banner off the ground(very dangerous), then they have to fly with the banner just a few knots above their aircraft's stall speed. If any little thing goes wrong, they crash and die. They can release the banner, but that has to happen before a certain point or it's too late. Many young pilots hold on just a few seconds too long, thinking they still have time to save things, but they don't. After that point, releasing the banner almost makes things worse. They go from a possibly controllable crash, to an uncontrolled one(often inverted). So why do inexperienced pilots do a job so dangerous? Because they need a way to get the 1500, the banner companies don't pay enough to get experienced pilots(there are much better jobs out there), and some young pilots still feel they are invulnerable.

The solution to the problem is to reduce the 1500 real flight hours and switch much of them to quality simulator time(paid for by the airlines as part of their training programs). In the simulator, the young pilots can be bombarded with complex scenarios constantly for months and examined all the while to get a super close look at what they're good and bad at. Then the later part of their sim training can focus on correcting their weaknesses instead of just reinforcing bad habits like the 1500 rule can end up doing. The rest of the world doesn't use the 1500 rule, and the nations with rules otherwise similar to ours have safety records that are every bit as good.

I only watch a few pilot channels closely, and every single one of them think the 1500 hour rule hurts far more than it helps. And they've got the receipts to prove it. 74 Gear, Mentour Pilot, and blancolirio just to name a few. If the pilot's association is so dead set against this reform, I would start asking why by following the money. I bet there's a reason they don't want it, and it's not about safety. Or the leadership fighting it is so far removed from what it's like to grind out the 1500 that they're completely out of touch with the realities.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  

• 3 weeks later...