SiouxSports.com Forum

Shaw's gone.

Fader

5 hours ago, UND99 said:

UND power play national ranking last four years:

2015-16: 21st (with a roster that included Boeser, Schmaltz, Caggiula, Stecher, Poolman, LaDue, Johnson, etc...)

2016-17: 30th

2017-18: 17th

2018-19: 52nd

Good grief those numbers are awful.  

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Easy killer.  Words hurt. 

Well I’m still confused though.  Tim H said that the team just needed some puck luck and that he’s never seen a team work so hard, but get no reward, yet now we’re not retaining coaches?  

• Upvote 1

Any rule that says we need to go after a UND hockey alum? DU seems to do alright bringing in non-DU guys. Mannino to me seems intriguing, if especially if what someone on this board said about him being a great recruiter. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Any rule that says we need to go after a UND hockey alum? DU seems to do alright bringing in non-DU guys. Mannino to me seems intriguing, if especially if what someone on this board said about him being a great recruiter. 

To be honest, I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than see that prick Mannino behind the bench.  :whistling:

3 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

To be honest, I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than see that prick Mannino behind the bench.  :whistling:

I agree with you. But at the same time a prick attitude is what this team needs. Just go on YouTube and watch some of the final fives and games against our old wcha foes. We were a hard nosed prick team that won a lot of games. I’m sure at some point someone said Blais was a prick  before he came to UND and now he’s one of our heroes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-MH-Fan said:

I agree with you. But at the same time a prick attitude is what this team needs. Just go on YouTube and watch some of the final fives and games against our old wcha foes. We were a hard nosed prick team that won a lot of games. I’m sure at some point someone said Blais was a prick  before he came to UND and now he’s one of our heroes.

For the record, Blais is a prick, and damnit I love the guy! :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I live in Minnetonka.  You would know but word here is Motzko made a run at him for UM but that was quickly shut down.

Word is that Motzko was openly recruiting one of UND’s recruits, too. 

5 hours ago, UND-MH-Fan said:

Not one of the best thoughts. UND didn’t have a “prick attitude “. There is such a difference between tough,  physical, hockey and being a prick. I hope that is what you meant. Our successful teams were a result of talent, teamwork and hard work. We have had some jackasses over the years but I don’t believe our success has ever been dependent upon players being a jerk. That just gets us someone in the box. Some of our toughest most physical players have been nice guys. I don’t need to watch some immature “prick” give the other team an advantage by doing something stupid. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UND99 said:

UND power play national ranking last four years:

2015-16: 21st (with a roster that included Boeser, Schmaltz, Caggiula, Stecher, Poolman, LaDue, Johnson, etc...)

2016-17: 30th

2017-18: 17th

2018-19: 52nd

Ouch. Averaged 30th in the country in PP, quite a bit lower than PWR finishes, and couldn’t crack the top 20 in a Championship year with clearly the most talented team in the country. Lots of factors, but this reinforces for me that there’s been a serious systems issue, not just talent, on the PP — and likely forwards systems overall, since Berry and/or Shaw took over. Yes, talent has been down a bit since the exodus after the championship, but plenty of other teams are doing more with a lot less. I’d have a hard time buying that half the teams in the country have more talent than UND? I suspect at least 45 teams would trade their rosters for UNDs, even over the last couple years. Hopefully whoever they bring in can change that around, in a hurry. Need a net-gain hire, given our last coaching change saw us swap an NHL HC for Shaw. No denying that was a net-loss and we’ve been feeling it. 

@Brett0909 when was the last time you remember UND having a great power play? Last year was rock bottom, absolutely, but I’m also not going to pretend that it was ever rolling under Hakstol. It’s something for over a decade plus I’ve never been able to figure out.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Goon said:

Word is that Motzko was openly recruiting one of UND’s recruits, too. 

If it is a verbal than there is no problem? If I'm at a school like Minnesota, UND, Denver, Wisconsin there is no way I'm following that stupid gentleman's agreement. No other sport has it. Until a kid signs his NLI he is free game.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SiouxScore said:

If it is a verbal than there is no problem? If I'm at a school like Minnesota, UND, Denver, Wisconsin there is no way I'm following that stupid gentleman's agreement. No other sport has it. Until a kid sings his NLI he is free game.

I asked Berry at the beginning of the season if UND still  respected the gentleman's agreement and he said he did

@AJS UND PP has likely underperformed by most traditional measures since...Blais? I’m not a coach, but my assumption has been the team emphasizes fundamentals like puck possession, face offs and defensive systems over PP. likely part of the culture. Drove me a bit nuts earlier this year when after a couple particularly atrocious power play showings (boo-birds) and later total lack of finishing, coaches were outspoken in interviews about emphasizing those through the week and the team came out with solid performances the next weekend(s). Obviously it’s a balance but appears to also be systems and amount of focus on it by the staff. 

I can’t say that’s true or even that it’s wrong if it is, to limit focus on PP vs. other areas, but PP is the great equalizer and i have a tough time putting the blame on the players or lack of talent when it’s a statistically significant trend of underperforming on the PP, regardless of “talent” on the ice. I choose to believe the last couple years of rosters have had enough talent and effort to reasonably have top 30% PP results but are instead falling into the bottom half. Those missing PP goals would have almost certainly been enough to get the team in the post season each year. 

I could be wrong, but it’s something this staff needs to figure out and I hope Shaw’s replacement is a step in the right direction. 

18 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Well I’m still confused though.  Tim H said that the team just needed some puck luck and that he’s never seen a team work so hard, but get no reward, yet now we’re not retaining coaches?  

So it's fair to say:

Shaw losing his job at UND was just bad luck for him.

• Upvote 1