SiouxSports.com Forum

Shaw's gone.

Fader

46 minutes ago, SiouxCrioux1 said:

Actually the fact that it’s been very quite has me thinking it’s going to be a hire within.

I don’t see how that helps us. Might be better to get someone with strong ties to coaches in rich recruiting area. We have Grand Forks pretty much covered.

48 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

I don’t see how that helps us. Might be better to get someone with strong ties to coaches in rich recruiting area. We have Grand Forks pretty much covered.

Yes bring someone from the outside in please. GF is covered and we obviously need some new ideas for the forward group. It can't get any worse, so pretty much any hire is a win. Is school out yet? Any updates on bottom dragger players getting cut? 

6 minutes ago, Fader said:

Curious if anyone has a copy of the posting for the job.  Interested in what they listed for requirements. Of course, I did not think of this when it was up on the UND site.

https://www.jobsinsports.com/Content/Jobs/index.cfm?jobId=453378443&utm_campaign=google_jobs_apply&utm_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic

Pretty minimal for requirements.  Bachelor Degree and 8 years of coaching experience.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I do like the duties and the order they are listed. Critical hire 

Duties

• Helping in weight training and conditioning practice
  • US or international recruitment
  • Preparing of game
  • Managing of practice/game
  • Game film analysis
  • Scouting of opponents
  • Other related tasks

Qualifications

• Bachelor's degree
  • 8 years of coaching experience
  • Valid driver's license
  • Successful criminal record background check

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:
  • Successful criminal record background check

I always like that one. 

Do they mean to hire a successful criminal?

But wouldn't a successful criminal not have a record? If they find a record wouldn't that be an unsuccessful criminal? 

So confusing ... 

;):D 

On 5/17/2019 at 11:52 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

“Well, I don’t have any actual coaching experience per se, but I have been actively advising the team on SiouxSports.com since 2001...”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

“Well, I don’t have any actual coaching experience per se, but I have been actively advising the team on SiouxSports.com since 2001...”

And you have dangled dam few participles in the process. 

16 hours ago, SS0016 said:

The word in Grand Forks is Matt Smaby for Asst. Coach, any thoughts?  Would of been fun to know who applied, darn open record law changes

I like Smaby but I am not sure how much of a recruiter or how well he will work with the special teams. Although no mention of special teams requirements from the job description.

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

I like Smaby but I am not sure how much of a recruiter or how well he will work with the special teams. Although no mention of special teams requirements from the job description.

He doesn't have 8 years of coaching experience, he has 2 years as a volunteer coach. 

Not a comment on Smaby but here is my wish list of qualities

1.  A relentless recruiter who hopefully has new contacts or is familiar with different territories than we usually recruit in

2.  Some fire and emotion on the bench and in practice.  Not saying Berry's approach is bad - it seems to fit his personality - but some intensity seems to be what we have been missing in the mix for a while.  (since the departure of you know who)

3. Some ideas to get scoring back in the offense - for sure ideas on how to get a better presence in front of the net.

4.  Power play - I put this 4th because I don't think designing a working power play is rocket science.  Thjere are many many teams on all levels including high school who have figured it out.  We just need to do some different things both to gain zone entry (a big problem) and getting movement of players and puck when we have it in. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Great hire - I predict Karl will be head coach someday.  Looks like Berry is working to right the ship after the last couple of years.  A  nice more forward. 

So who's going to run the power play?

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

So who's going to run the power play?

Certainly a pertinent question - I feel that Goehring will bring in a lot of expertise and not just in the goalie area.  We certainly need to fix the power play - watching it lately is just painful.  The good news is that it should not be rocket science.  It's not like we have to invent some secret, never been seen before system.  We need to find a way to get the puck into the zone - we were horrible when pressed last year and when we dumped it in it was usually promptly ringed out again.  Then we need some movement - both with and without the puck.  I have never seen a team fiddle around and tee it up out in front as much as we did.  Finally, we need a presence in front of the net.  Actually, the Central coach could probably come in and draw up something that is light years better than what we did last year.  The big mystery to me is that with all of the coaching experience on the bench last year we couldn't improve the PP - I think it actually got worse as the year went on.  Any fresh eyes has to help.  I look for a big improvement this year.  It seems like Berry is willing do dig in and make some changes - maybe this will be one.

51 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

beat me to it...a former goalie gonna show the boys how to score on the power play...should've hired hrkac.

A coach isn’t going to fix the power play. The players have to. 

Im sorry, but did people miss the personnel who was on our power play? Come on. Of course it sucked. 

• Upvote 2