SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

I have a question for those who know hockey that I really can’t figure out.

When friend of mine asked why Mankato is doing so well, I remembered a quip from Tom H during the October series that the Mavs had a line consisting of three 25 year olds “who would be filing for social security when they graduated”.  I said the Mavs are a lot older than the Bulldogs.  

On a whim I looked up the Maverick roster and saw only ‘94-‘97 birthdays.  Then I started thinking; how did you have 22 year old freshmen?  Where did they play after juniors?  I randomly clicked on the link to Shane McMahan’s bio. He was done with Juniors in 2016 and last year was his first year with the Mavs. His bio is silent on where he played in the intervening years.  So my question is: Where does a guy play for two years between Juniors and College?  Canadian Seniors?

Thanks for your insight.

• Upvote 2

Duluth isn’t as good as they’ve been the past couple years. Mankato is legit and in my opinion was UND’s toughest opponent so far this season. I really wish there was another series this season! I attended the games in Mankato and they were highly entertaining despite the outcome of course.

@bale31 I think this is the year that Mankato will make some noise in the tournament! 

55 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Thoughts on the kneeing major? I thought it was a pretty questionable call, but I also have purple and gold glasses on.

I think it could have gone either way. When Perionvich had the puck he kind of lost it in his skates and it seemed like it wasn’t intentional but I can also see how they called it. Not sure it should have been a 5 and a game. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Duluth isn’t as good as they’ve been the past couple years. Mankato is legit and in my opinion was UND’s toughest opponent so far this season. I really wish there was another series this season! I attended the games in Mankato and they were highly entertaining despite the outcome of course.

@bale31 I think this is the year that Mankato will make some noise in the tournament! 

I am sure the boys would like another crack at Mankato. We should have won the first game and possibly could have won the second but I think we are better since that game. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I sure hope so. I've seen a lot of wins in the.last 8 years since hastings has been here. We've also had a lot of heartbreak. If we can get that one win, I'm optimistic. That monkey is a tough one though.

23 hours ago, squirtcoach said:

I have a question for those who know hockey that I really can’t figure out.

When friend of mine asked why Mankato is doing so well, I remembered a quip from Tom H during the October series that the Mavs had a line consisting of three 25 year olds “who would be filing for social security when they graduated”.  I said the Mavs are a lot older than the Bulldogs.  

On a whim I looked up the Maverick roster and saw only ‘94-‘97 birthdays.  Then I started thinking; how did you have 22 year old freshmen?  Where did they play after juniors?  I randomly clicked on the link to Shane McMahan’s bio. He was done with Juniors in 2016 and last year was his first year with the Mavs. His bio is silent on where he played in the intervening years.  So my question is: Where does a guy play for two years between Juniors and College?  Canadian Seniors?

Thanks for your insight.

Shhhh...don’t tell gopher fans this. The Mavs will be their team in March/April as they root to “keep it in the state.”

Fridays Games:

Northeastern beats UNH 4-0

UAH beats Northern Michigan 4-2

Ferris State beats UAA 4-1

Alaska beats Michigan Tech 4-3

Bemidji beats LSSU 4-1

UConn beats Miami 6-4

Lowell beats RPI 4-0

BC beats Harvard 4-2

BGSU beats Notre Dame 5-2

Penn State beats Merrimack 7-0

Arizona State beats Vermont 2-1

Mankato beats Duluth 4-1

UMass beats Quinnipiac 3-0

Maine beats St. Lawrence 5-2

Saturdays Games:

Bemidji and LSSU tied 2-2 OT

Ferris State and UAA tied 4-4 OT

Northern Michigan beats UAH 3-1

Michigan Tech beats Alaska 2-1

Ohio State beats Michigan State 3-1

Wisconsin beats Michigan 3-2

UNH beats Princeton 3-2 

Northeastern beats Colgate 4-3

UConn beats Miami 4-3

Lowell beats Penn State 3-2 OT

Quinnipiac beats UMass 2-1

Providence beats Brown 4-2

Maine and St. Lawrence 1-1 OT

Arizona State and Vermont tied 2-2 OT

BGSU beats Notre Dame 5-2

Mankato beats Duluth 3-1

Cornell beats BU 2-0

Sundays Games:

Ohio State beats Michigan State 2-0

Michigan beats Wisconsin 3-1

23 minutes ago, burd said:

If they violated important rules of conduct, kudos to ASU having the stones to place standards above wins.   Hopefully, they would do the same if it were one of their money-generating sports.

Sounds like its being kept very quiet.