SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 DI Mens Ice Hockey Championship

Cratter

23 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Culture of cheap shots and diving. Osterberg is gone so maybe the latter has cut back but he wouldn't have done it if it wasn't kosher with the coach.

I hear where your coming from, but to be fair, our tradition wasn't made up of all angels - fans included. Now the game is changing some and it seems like now we're trying to play clean under achieving hockey but getting stupid penalties, what do we gain with that culture??? Why not get our monies worth if we keep going to the box, at least do some bullying in front of the net - might learn something with owning some of that real estate. Might learn to pass to net front instead of shooting from the boards. Sure, there were periods and games where we carried the puck, momentum, physicality, quality shots and goals, but also plenty not.

I don't know how far back you go. Diving is a relatively new tactic and there is an embellishing penalty for it, but refs don't know how to blow that whistle, so you have that.

Gasp, Blaz, and Hak never played the cleanest hockey or the east coast style; they had their players ready to skate, pass, shoot, push, and rough it up right up to the whistle.
Sandelin (UND '86) knows that game.
I'm putting him as the favorite in Buffalo. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2019 at 11:21 AM, MafiaMan said:

In order, who I would like to win the NCAA championship this year:

#1.  Providence College.  I know, I know, they just won it a few years ago, but PC is near MafiaMom's old stomping grounds up there in RI.  The Friars have always been my second-favorite team.  And who doesn't love those skating friar jerseys?

#5.  UMass.  Yes, this continues to violate the policy of hating Hockey East, but UMass has been a doormat for a long time.  Bonus as BU and BC might just shut down their respective programs if the Minutemen win the title.  

#11.  Denver.  This would make @stoneySIOUX go mad, which is why I can't have them farther down the list.  @Godsmack , I know you won't like DU this high either, but who you gonna swap places with in five below this?  

#16.  Minnesota Duluth.  This really is more of a concern about @DrunkHockeyGuy and his health than anything.  I'd hate to see him requiring a liver transplant after winning a 2nd consecutive national title.  Bruce Ciskie is so likable, so it's hard to, wait, no it's not.      

Well, we’re down to the Frozen Four...Hockey East, you have one job.  One job.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Wow!  So what you’re saying is that the most rabid fans in college hockey don’t belong to North Dakota, but to BROWN UNIVERSITY?

In fairness, there was a post on Twitter that said the administration of Providence subsidized student tickets so that students at PC only had to pay $15 for the regional. Seems to me that the deck is stacked in favor of Providence (talking about the city) when considering that. 

I'm reasonably certain that any of the cities would have performed as well, and probably better, if the arena was 3 miles from campus and the administration gave that sort of a deal to their students.

EDIT....here's the Twitter link. Sorry if this doesn't work, I suck at the interwebs sometimes.https://twitter.com/NUHockeyBlog/status/1110669739624411136

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bale31 said:

In fairness, there was a post on Twitter that said the administration of Providence subsidized student tickets so that students at PC only had to pay $15 for the regional. Seems to me that the deck is stacked in favor of Providence (talking about the city) when considering that. 

I'm reasonably certain that any of the cities would have performed as well, and probably better, if the arena was 3 miles from campus and the administration gave that sort of a deal to their students.

While I'm not going to fault Providence College for taking advantage of a seemingly big NCAA loophole in terms of these regionals, it certainly seems fishy that Brown University is so willing to host these.  Brown is to Providence College what Worcester is to Boston College.  

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

While I'm not going to fault Providence College for taking advantage of a seemingly big NCAA loophole in terms of these regionals, it certainly seems fishy that Brown University is so willing to host these.  Brown is to Providence College what Worcester is to Boston College.  

I'm with you on that. They have an advantage and they use it. I certainly believe it worked against my team this weekend (it still doesn't explain the implosion, but to act as though it had no effect is a bit of an insult to my intelligence). I don't like the system, but I don't see a way around it as long as the coaches and ADs insist upon having "neutral site" games.

My bigger point is that, knowing those details, I'm not all that impressed with the attendance numbers. Could you imagine the numbers that UND would put up in that same scenario? I'm reasonably confident that half the student base would go to the games. Obviously, there is no way to prove that, but that's my suspicion.

8 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I'm with you on that. They have an advantage and they use it. I certainly believe it worked against my team this weekend (it still doesn't explain the implosion, but to act as though it had no effect is a bit of an insult to my intelligence). I don't like the system, but I don't see a way around it as long as the coaches and ADs insist upon having "neutral site" games.

My bigger point is that, knowing those details, I'm not all that impressed with the attendance numbers. Could you imagine the numbers that UND would put up in that same scenario? I'm reasonably confident that half the student base would go to the games. Obviously, there is no way to prove that, but that's my suspicion.

Maybe you guys could get Minnesota to host a regional for you at Mariucci or the X since they can’t make the NCAA’s...;)

20 minutes ago, bale31 said:

To be fair, Providence College's undergrad enrollment is less than 4,500.  You're not comparing apples to apples when talking student numbers vs North Dakota or Minnesota State.  

When it comes to regionals, home ice might be a bit unfair; however, I can think of a system that would work.

Consortiums. 

A group of schools/teams gets together and lines up a rink should one of them end up a regional #1 seed. 

• For UMD, SCSU, MSU-Mankato, and UMn they line up the X.
  • For DU, CC, USAFA they line up where the Colorado Eagles play. 
  • For NMU, Tech, Wisconsin, they line up something in Milwaukee. 
  • A bunch of Michigan schools line up something near Detroit. 
  • Out east, the Boston schools (BU, BC, NE'n, Hahvid, etc) line up a rink. 

As the season progresses, as it becomes clear that no member of the consortium will be a 1 seed they release the holds on the rinks. If there's a conflict (say like this season would've posed if there was a UMD/SCSU/MSU-Man consortium) the consortium would have to sort it out amongst themselves and the venue. 

I've said it before, but with all the parity it's time to give 1 seeds an actual advantage.  Let them host.  If need be put a minimum attendance for an arena and then the school needs to have a plan in place ahead of time.  If a 1 can't host it goes either to that 2 seed or the highest 2 seed.

There needs to be a reward for being a top team. Other option is to finally go to 3 game series like baseball does.  

• Upvote 1