SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 DI Mens Ice Hockey Championship

Cratter

43 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Our problem is we missed judged the top 1-2 years and turning pro guys AND never attempted to get the four year guys.

It also seems like we get next to zero production out of our freshmen classes.  I think I heard last night DU got 102 points from freshmen.  

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Recruit to your system......not just 'talent'...reading accounts (don't go to Herald  for quality anymore) of the NCAA  hockey Frozen Four...coaches/writers talk about recruiting players to your system. AIC, Bowling Green AZ State may not have high end talent...but players stick to their coaches system , and don't 'freelance'...St. Cloud may be guilty here.....The new wave of talented young coaches preach system and not 'tradition'....only alums and legacy players give a rats butt about tradition.....look at Michigan, Minnesota, the Boston's and now UND..,.. Also 'facilities' may be over sold....most teams have decent, upgraded facilities now...ie. Denver, Duluth, Penn State, Ohio State, etc....facilities more important to alums....as is tradition...

Recruit system..and the quality of the school...

I don't think UND wants to get into a "quality of the school" recruiting battle. That's a fight they'll lose most of the time.  Lots of very high end schools in the world of college hockey. 

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I don't think UND wants to get into a "quality of the school" recruiting battle. That's a fight they'll lose most of the time.  Lots of very high end schools in the world of college hockey. 

Where exactly do you feel UND lacks in the quality of school battle? Education-wise they're light years ahead of the schools you and I call home, the facilities are decent, are you talking strictly because Grand Forks isn't Boston or a Big 10 city? Because that doesn't sell it for many kids.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, jodcon said:

Where exactly do you feel UND lacks in the quality of school battle? Education-wise they're light years ahead of the schools you and I call home, the facilities are decent, are you talking strictly because Grand Forks isn't Boston or a Big 10 city? Because that doesn't sell it for many kids.

Comparing academics to a lot of the east coast schools and the B1G schools is not a battle we can even sniff them in.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jodcon said:

I can't recall the last time that a high end hockey player picked or didn't pick UND because they were truly worried about the quality of their education.  For the next rung of players (non-elite), if they truly care about education first they will go Ivy league and they should if that's an option.  Short of going to an Ivy league school.......or having an MBA from Stanford, there really isn't much of a difference between most schools.

UND is fine for 90% of the country.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jodcon said:

UND isnt lightyears ahead of any (insert state) U or (insert state) State University. I'd wager UND and NDSU are pretty close to the bottom as far as academic rankings vs other states' flagships/land grants. That's perfectly fine. Doesn't make them bad. 

I am saying if UND's big recruiting pitch was school quality, they would probably be closer to the bottom of D1 hockey than the top. 

2 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Providence up 2-0 on Cornell. They gotta love it that they don’t have to pay to host a regional but get to play in their hometown none the less. Maybe they send Brown a thank you card.

The young lady doing the play by play is almost unbearable to listen to. Where's Bucci and drunken Barry?

Academics at D1 college hockey schools according to US News national rankings:

The Ivy's scattered across top 15

Notre Dame #18

Michigan #27

BC #38

BU #42

Northeastern #44

Madison #49

RPI #49

Ohio State #56

Penn State #59

UConn #63