Type Enrollment Joined Nickname Primary
Conference
while
joining
the PFL
Current
Primary
Conference
Butler University Indianapolis, Indiana 1855 1887 Private 3,897 1991 Bulldogs Horizon Big East
Davidson College Davidson, North Carolina 1837 1897 Private 1,950 2001 Wildcats SoCon Atlantic 10 (A-10)
University of Dayton Dayton, Ohio 1850 1905 Private 8,353 1991 Flyers Horizon Atlantic 10 (A-10)
Drake University Des Moines, Iowa 1881 1883 Private 3,164 1991 Bulldogs Missouri Valley
Jacksonville University Jacksonville, Florida 1934 1934 (1998) Private 7,426 2001 Dolphins Atlantic Sun (ASUN)
Marist College Poughkeepsie, New York 1929 1978 Private 6,200 2009 Red Foxes MAAC
Morehead State University Morehead, Kentucky 1922 1927 Public 11,358 2001 Eagles OVC
University of San Diego San Diego, California 1949 1956 Private 4,904 1992 Toreros WCC
Stetson University DeLand, Florida 1883 1901 (2013) Private 4,330 2013 Hatters Atlantic Sun (ASUN)
Valparaiso University Valparaiso, Indiana 1859 1919 Private 2,917 1991 Crusaders Summit Missouri Valley

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND *should* beat Drake handily. If they don't, Bubba and the coaching staff failed the players and the players failed themselves. No excuse to play a non-scholarship Pioneer league team close if UND expects to be an FCS playoff team this season. 

Remember, style points matter in college football and to the FCS playoff committee. UND needs to beat Drake by a sizable margin. 

I agree with you. You seem to be missing that part of my comments, or I'm not being clear enough.

8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Drake University in the Pioneer League

Institution Location Founded First
Football
Year
Type Enrollment Joined Nickname Primary
Conference
while
joining
the PFL
Current
Primary
Conference
Butler University Indianapolis, Indiana 1855 1887 Private 3,897 1991 Bulldogs Horizon Big East
Davidson College Davidson, North Carolina 1837 1897 Private 1,950 2001 Wildcats SoCon Atlantic 10 (A-10)
University of Dayton Dayton, Ohio 1850 1905 Private 8,353 1991 Flyers Horizon Atlantic 10 (A-10)
Drake University Des Moines, Iowa 1881 1883 Private 3,164 1991 Bulldogs Missouri Valley
Jacksonville University Jacksonville, Florida 1934 1934 (1998) Private 7,426 2001 Dolphins Atlantic Sun (ASUN)
Marist College Poughkeepsie, New York 1929 1978 Private 6,200 2009 Red Foxes MAAC
Morehead State University Morehead, Kentucky 1922 1927 Public 11,358 2001 Eagles OVC
University of San Diego San Diego, California 1949 1956 Private 4,904 1992 Toreros WCC
Stetson University DeLand, Florida 1883 1901 (2013) Private 4,330 2013 Hatters Atlantic Sun (ASUN)
Valparaiso University Valparaiso, Indiana 1859 1919 Private 2,917 1991 Crusaders Summit Missouri Valley

I had thought the Pioneer League was all private schools - anyone know how Morehead State ended up there?

On 8/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, Nodak78 said:

The scouts may have priapism over Cates, but Drake's leading receiver is Steven "Scorin'" Doran.  Doran hangs onto balls that Cates drops.

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:28 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND *should* beat Drake handily. If they don't, Bubba and the coaching staff failed the players and the players failed themselves. No excuse to play a non-scholarship Pioneer league team close if UND expects to be an FCS playoff team this season. 

Remember, style points matter in college football and to the FCS playoff committee. UND needs to beat Drake by a sizable margin. 

56-10?????  We hope???

• Upvote 2

UND should win this game. Hopefully by a comfortable margin. First game of the year I wouldn’t get too carried away with margin of victory. Let’s not get too carried away with the “failure”  comments. The coaches, players and fans from Drake should believe this is a winnable game. We aren’t coming off a great year and they can look at their Iowa State game. (On any given day.....). Forget about which conference they play in and forget about scholarships. Their players likely get academic scholarships grants/“work study jobs”.  We have done nothing yet this year to indicate we should “dominate “ anyone or for that matter be dominated by anyone else. We need to win games. We can worry about “style points” after the season. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 8/17/2019 at 9:25 AM, iramurphy said:

UND should win this game. Hopefully by a comfortable margin. First game of the year I wouldn’t get too carried away with margin of victory. Let’s not get too carried away with the “failure”  comments. The coaches, players and fans from Drake should believe this is a winnable game. We aren’t coming off a great year and they can look at their Iowa State game. (On any given day.....). Forget about which conference they play in and forget about scholarships. Their players likely get academic scholarships grants/“work study jobs”.  We have done nothing yet this year to indicate we should “dominate “ anyone or for that matter be dominated by anyone else. We need to win games. We can worry about “style points” after the season. 

UND needs to play to win this game and win it by a lot. End of story. Lead UND to a big win, Bubba.

Anything else is a F-A-I-L-U-R-E.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs to play to win this game and win it by a lot. End of story. Lead UND to a big win, Bubba.

Agreed.

In 2013 we beat Valparaiso 69-10 ... we may not achieve that score against Drake as they are a better team, but we are a better team than we were in 2013 as well. Regardless the score should be closer to the score from the Valparaiso game, than it was against Drake a few years ago.

These kinds of games should be won handily, and whether or not the game is close should not even be a discussion at this point. They need to get out there an take care of business.

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Unless, the coaches are also looking ahead to the next week's game and play a game against Drake without showing too much of the changes to this 2019 Hawks team? Play old school (old playbook), ultra conservative, and barely win. Then at the Manure Pit, unleash the playbook, take some risks, give it all they have on both sides of the line and maybe come up with a W. If coached properly, that could really motivate the players!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Unless, the coaches are also looking ahead to the next week's game and play a game against Drake without showing too much of the changes to this 2019 Hawks team? Play old school (old playbook), ultra conservative, and barely win. Then at the Manure Pit, unleash the playbook, take some risks, give it all they have on both sides of the line and maybe come up with a W. If coached properly, that could really motivate the players!

Given the talent differential between UND and Drake, I certainly expect Freund to hide somethings from NDSU. Would be foolish not to. Beat Drake with fundamentals and execution then show up in Fargo on 9/7/19 and upset the damn Ag school

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Given the talent differential between UND and Drake, I certainly expect Freund to hide somethings from NDSU. Would be foolish not to. Beat Drake with fundamentals and execution then show up in Fargo on 9/7/19 and upset the damn Ag school

I totally agree with that.  If we don't win by 30 because we played it close to the vest to keep some stuff for the following week, I'm ok with that.....and would prefer that.  Beat them with the basics and get the W.  Figure out some things that need improving from week 1 to week 2.  

There is no reason the NDSU game can't be a competitive down to the wire type game, we are capable of winning.  I don't think the USD team that beat them in Fargo a few years ago is any better than we should be this year.   More times than not NDSU wins this years game if we played 10 times, but doesn't mean we can't beat them and the team shouldn't expect to beat them.   I don't want a moral victory in Fargo this year....I want a win!  If we don't win, not the end of the season.....but I still want to win that game not just compete. 

5 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I totally agree with that.  If we don't win by 30 because we played it close to the vest to keep some stuff for the following week, I'm ok with that.....and would prefer that.  Beat them with the basics and get the W.  Figure out some things that need improving from week 1 to week 2.  

There is no reason the NDSU game can't be a competitive down to the wire type game, we are capable of winning.  I don't think the USD team that beat them in Fargo a few years ago is any better than we should be this year.   More times than not NDSU wins this years game if we played 10 times, but doesn't mean we can't beat them and the team shouldn't expect to beat them.   I don't want a moral victory in Fargo this year....I want a win!  If we don't win, not the end of the season.....but I still want to win that game not just compete. 

Sorry got kind of lost on what thread I was on, this is Drake thread and I kind of went off about the NDSU game :huh:

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We can beat Drake by a lot and not show the entire playbook.  

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Baloney. UND needs to win the game. They need to evaluate a number of players under game conditions. New coaches and Bubba need to perfect communication during game conditions and Freund needs to evaluate his offensive scheme with this years personnel. We need to get better as game goes on. We need to be able to get key back ups playing time. We need to develop our ability as players and coaches to adjust  to game conditions and put away the opposition in the second half. None of us knows how good Drake will be so we need to assume we have to play our butts off and play mistake free FB to win the game. If we can accomplish all of that it will be a successful start to the season and I couldn’t give a rat’s behind for the margin of victory.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

I hope I receive my tickets and tailgate pass soon.  I'm getting excited.

I got my tickets last week, but was getting nervous about tailgate passes.    I talked to Derick, the tailgate guy at UND.   They are getting the passes from the printer this afternoon and hope to have the tailgate passes out in the mail tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

I got my tickets last week, but was getting nervous about tailgate passes.    I talked to Derick, the tailgate guy at UND.   They are getting the passes from the printer this afternoon and hope to have the tailgate passes out in the mail tomorrow.

good.  If my tickets don't show today I am calling to see if they were sent out.