SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The players want to win. They desire to be an aggressive team that wins big games. The staff is holding them back.

I encourage anyone who has replay capabilities to go back and watch the sequence in the Idaho game when Bubba pulled the offense off the field on 4th&1 in Idaho territory. Ketteringham was hot and even confronted Bubba as he came off.

Now, these are all things that regularly happen in the heat of the moment so they don’t mean anything personal, but they do suggest that the coaching staff is dampening any possible momentum and fire in the offense.

UND football will always be mediocre if this staff wants to constantly implement a “nice guy” cautious strategy. The players that want to win recognize this. 

Trying to remember which player did this but I remember at least one player trying to waiving the punt team off. 

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is the dumbest !@#$ I’ve ever read on this board.

For what I know, which isn’t much, this does not sound good. If you want a real fight and sabatogue.... demote one nurse and promote another and keep both in the same area. Recipe for disaster... maybe coaches are different.

25 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

For what I know, which isn’t much, this does not sound good. If you want a real fight and sabatogue.... demote one nurse and promote another and keep both in the same area. Recipe for disaster... maybe coaches are different.

Boy do I ever wish Kostich and Rudolph had gone in to nursing instead of coaching. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Dustin said:

Was thinking the Bison route myself, as much as it pains me to have to beg your arch enemy for help.

We didn't seem to have a problem with it when we asked former Gopher hockey player and assistant coach Dean Blais to restore the glory to Fighting Sioux hockey...

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I encourage anyone who has replay capabilities to go back and watch the sequence in the Idaho game when Bubba pulled the offense off the field on 4th&1 in Idaho territory. Ketteringham was hot and even confronted Bubba as he came off.

It's at the 1:58 mark.

McKinney also tried waving off the punt team. And then after the game you have Oliveria criticizing the staff: 

“We played the game to stay alive, not step on their throat,” Oliveira said.

Bubba has to make sure he doesn't lose the locker room. 

Should be able to convert 4th and "half a yard" 80%+ with a QB sneak. Shouldn't have even been a question whether to go for it or not. Ketteringham knew it. McKinney knew it. Brady knew it.

Bubba didn't know it.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It's at the 1:58 mark.

McKinney also tried waving off the punt team. And then after the game you have Oliveria criticizing the staff: 

Should be able to convert 4th and "half a yard" 80%+ with a QB sneak. Shouldn't have even been a question whether to go for it or not.

That's who it was.   

That is a pretty telling quote isn't it...

• Upvote 1

This coaching staff doesn’t seem like they play to win with authority, just maybe get a win but if we don’t be happy by not losing by a lot. That’s what I saw all last year, they coached the game not to lose it by a large margin. No aggressiveness at all. We’ve all wanted it for years and I’m sure the players did too they are just finally starting to speak up. I feel for this group of seniors, especially Santiago and Brady, the talent that has been wasted.....

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, LeaveNoDoubt said:

This coaching staff doesn’t seem like they play to win with authority, just maybe get a win but if we don’t be happy by not losing by a lot. That’s what I saw all last year, they coached the game not to lose it by a large margin. No aggressiveness at all. We’ve all wanted it for years and I’m sure the players did too they are just finally starting to speak up. I feel for this group of seniors, especially Santiago and Brady, the talent that has been wasted.....

Beyond disappointing ...

New leadership and direction is desperately needed for this football program.

18 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Should be able to convert 4th and "half a yard" 80%+ with a QB sneak. Shouldn't have even been a question whether to go for it or not. Ketteringham knew it. McKinney knew it. Brady knew it.

Bubba didn't know it.

Bubba can do this by either hiring more competent coaches or by resigning. We all know which one is more likely.

New ideas for the offense and special teams are desperately needed. Bubba also needs to look himself in the mirror and ask if his philosophy and approach are really what it will take to make UND a contender. The level of conservatism he currently approaches the game with is not effective for championship football; perhaps mediocre football. 

What bothered me the most was when they went for it the first time and what they called.

Going play-action would have been better than a hand-off. 

Think that result set the tone for the 2nd one. 

Its frustrating... unless they get a gift of a playoff spot, 1 year of playoffs with this group of seniors? UGH!

Also watching the replaying the Ketteringham interception. He has no one in front of him as he danced behind the line of scrimmage toward the sidelines. He could have easily picked up at least five yards on the play. He needs to know when to tuck and run more.

*though it was 3rd and 12.

3 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

This thread is about change and I'm beginning to think the change we need is to scrap the 3-4 defense we have been running since the 90's?

I am a pretty firm believer that what you do isn't nearly as important as how well you do it.  UND stunts out themselves out of position to make plays a lot on defense and because of this we don't have players in all the gaps.  This style of defense creates big plays for the defense but it also allows big plays for the offense.  Noah Larson looks to me like a very talented LB that gets caught running around a lot because of blitz and stunt calls.  I would really like to see him have the chance to read and react on defense instead almost always stunting or running to spot without seeing the offensive play develop.  Weber took advantage of UND big time because of this.  

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

This thread is about change and I'm beginning to think the change we need is to scrap the 3-4 defense we have been running since the 90's?

Many championship programs run the 3-4 scheme. That is not the issue. It's not so much what you run but rather how you run it. 

17 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I am a pretty firm believer that what you do isn't nearly as important as how well you do it.  UND stunts out themselves out of position to make plays a lot on defense and because of this we don't have players in all the gaps.  This style of defense creates big plays for the defense but it also allows big plays for the offense.  Noah Larson looks to me like a very talented LB that gets caught running around a lot because of blitz and stunt calls.  I would really like to see him have the chance to read and react on defense instead almost always stunting or running to spot without seeing the offensive play develop.  Weber took advantage of UND big time because of this.  

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Many championship programs run the 3-4 scheme. That is not the issue. It's not so much what you run but rather how you run it. 

Execution is much more important than scheme.   I have thought that alot the last two weeks about Larson and Donnell, it seems like they spend so much time running around and backing downfield into coverage, sometimes 20-30 yards downfield.  Does not seem to be the best way to utilize those two guys.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Bubba needs to realize that if he doesn't get rid of Kostich and Rudy at the end of the year.  If he doesn't realize that, he is not the man we need in charge of this program.  

Totally agree.  However I feel like he will just get rid of Kostich thinking that will satisfy people. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It seems the most unstoppable defense is one that gets pressure with 4 DL. That leaves 7 to clean everything else up. That’s a big advantage for the d.

... or just 3 DL with 8 to clean everything else up. 

You can spin it anyway you want. Comes down to execution and in-game adjustments based on what opposing offense is doing. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Understand where you're coming from, but there are major issues on offense and defense, also. Needs to address those too.

Oh I agree!!  I'm just speculating as to what I think Bubba might do.  I could see him keeping Rudy.   Both Rudy and Kostich need to be replaced at  minimum in my opinion.