SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

20 minutes ago, shep said:

Me too, as I have NEVER encountered a worse run bar than the Tavern at the Alerus. ONE bartender and maybe 2 barmaids for a bar full of thirsty pre-game fans. It's nuts.

Tavern is the worst. Will playmakers be closed to non CC members? 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

This isn't the time because the season isn't over.  For those of you whose lives seem adversely affected by the success or failure of our FB or Hockey teams I've got nothing for you.  

I would not want the AD choosing our assistant coaches.  He chooses the head coach.  

I'm disappointed in our three losses, but I also recognize we are three big plays ( either our mistake or our opponents big play) from being 

8-1.   I'm not sure I would fire our coach over three plays.  I thought our Oline was much improved and had a decent year.  I like our receivers when they are healthy.  Our RB's are very good.  We have great depth and decent tight ends.  I'm not a Rudolph  fan but I thought we had a better offensive scheme and rhythm.  This year than last.  I would support a change.  Defensively we struggled more than I thought we would have.  Someone mentioned hiring some coach from another school because the players like and respect whoever it was.  Same can be said for the coaches we have here.  Defensively we were bigger and faster than last year. 

Special teams were a huge disappointment.  Young kicker needs to develop confidence and consistency.  If he can't, we need someone who can.  We can't miss extra points and need to be money from 45yds and in. .  Punt blocks can't happen. Punter needs to understand game situations and is way too slow.  There have been punters who couldn't make an NFL team because they were too slow getting the punt off.  If your teammates don't block it doesn't matter how fast you are.   Punts improved from beginning of year to now but doesn't matter how well you punt if you get blocked.  Kick offs were not into end zone until Idaho game.  Kickoff coverage was weak and inconsistent.  Coverage guys who don't stay in their lanes and converge on the kick right away create opportunities for the return team.  How many times this year did the opponent start on the 30 or 40 yd line?   

Most of the criticisms here, including mine,  are the typical Monday AM QB stuff.   I would keep Bubba. He is more upset than we are.  He is closer to these kids and has more to lose than any of us.  He seems to be able to recruit.  He certainly has worked his butt off trying to improve attendance and the game day experience.  I believe he is capable of leading this program and winning an FCS title.  Starting over isn't an option right now. We have a number of good kids committed and this is a young team.  I would hope Bubba would bring in or assign a QB coach.  We have a very promising QB committed and we have have 3 pretty good QB's here.  I would support a new OC if for no other reason than a change at QB coach.  

As far as injuries, I don't have an answer. It is too simplistic to blame the Strength coach but I don't know if he is any good or not.  There is a lot to be said for. Keeping this group of coaches together and on task. Bubba believes every decision he makes must be made with the vision of building this program to the level of perennial playoff top 10 team. Once you are there, you can win a title.  Chavez needs to have a meeting with Bubba first, then the staff and ask them what he needs to do to move this program to that level. Then Chaves and We, the fans and supporters of the program need to deliver. That is continued scholarships, Phase II of the HPC, and improved game day experience.  We can't jump ship every year we fail and can't knock each other over jumping back on the bandwagon when we succeed. We need the fair weather fans too but those of us who want this program to be successful need to stay the course.  Those of you who want change have valid opinions and may be right.  The fact that some may still believe Bubba can do this, doesn't mean we have any lower expectations than you who don't.  I have had some interesting experiences at the high school, college and NFL levels that give me my perspective.  That doesn't mean I know more than those of you who love the game but never played beyond middle school.  I don't believe the program can afford losing the 2019 recruits to bring in a new staff that may be better but may not be as good.     One thing we can do to increase our chance of success is to continue to tailgate and have fun and attend the games and support the program.  Bigger checks  and /or new money is always welcome.  

That’s all fine and dandy, but Bubba isn’t a coach capable of being an FCS champion until he makes executive decisions.  Keeping Kostich and Rudolph show that he is clueless about what it takes to be a top FCS team.  He values loyalty too much over competence.

UND athletics, including hockey is run like a family business, not by executive decisions.  At good corporations, poor decision makers are normally shown the door.  At bad ones, they are given one more chance because of the buddy system.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just hypothetical.......Bubba remains HC. Staff same except Kostich goes. Finish 7-4 (best case scenario) next year and SU beats UND by 4 scores and no playoffs. Everyone still on the wagon?

Haven't ever been on the wagon. For now I stated why I think Bubba should still be the head coach. He needs to decide who his staff should be. Ultimately he is the guy who will be held accountable.  Whomever our coach is will need Phase II of the HPC.  We need to solve the problem of needed resources in a smaller community.  If anyone thinks changing coaches right now gets us statewide TV or a big time donor I respectfully disagree.  NDSU, SDSU, and USD have Sanford.  UND and Grand Forks passed on Sanford. We can't worry about upsetting a local business if they can't get on board with competition that can benefit the University.  In addition to the initial $10,000,000 Sanford offered ,  the other 3 schools have all gotten much more than the initial millions in the subsequent years. If you are going to change now,  where do we get the additional $$$ to pay either a top FBS asst. or a proven successful FCS head coach or "up and comer"?  We weren't prepared last time to make the change.  If the time comes when we change coaches for whatever reason we need to be better prepared to pay not only the head coach but also the assistants. We also need to be prepared to pay Bubba and his staff if they get this thing turned around and someone else tries to hire them away.  We still have a ways to go before I would worry about what the AC is doing. I will assume they are continuing to perform at a championship level until proven otherwise.  I share your frustration but right now I still think Bubba can do this.  Oxbow I believe you and some others have been consistent in your opinion of the need for change.  I don't believe that we are at that point.  Bubba needs to make whatever changes he deems necessary to move us forward. You and I can afford to be wrong. He can't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just hypothetical.......Bubba remains HC. Staff same except Kostich goes. Finish 7-4 (best case scenario) next year and SU beats UND by 4 scores and no playoffs. Everyone still on the wagon?

Just hypothetical........... Bubba remains.  Finish 7-4 next year.  Beat NDSU but miss the playoffs.  

Fire Bubba or extend him?

3 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Just hypothetical........... Bubba remains.  Finish 7-4 next year.  Beat NDSU but miss the playoffs.  

I thought of that same scenario, but if we beat SU, I think we make the playoffs even if we go a game over .500. 

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

That’s all fine and dandy, but Bubba isn’t a coach capable of being an FCS champion until he makes executive decisions.  Keeping Kostich and Rudolph show that he is clueless about what it takes to be a top FCS team.  He values loyalty too much over competence.

UND athletics, including hockey is run like a family business, not by executive decisions.  At good corporations, poor decision makers are normally shown the door.  At bad ones, they are given one more chance because of the buddy system.  

I don't think hockey has ever been run like family business.  How many people wanted Hakstol fired.  He was one of the most successful coaches in college hockey.  He was recognized by his peers, his players and NHL coaches and executives.  How many rubes wanted Berry gone when we started 0-2-1?   Some people don't seem to understand that you can be a good coach and still have ups and downs.  

UND football is run like any other business.  The speed by which we are moving to our goal of perennial playoff participation and championships are limited by our financial resources just like any other business.  Good corporations make all of the resources available for their employees to be successful, then mentor them and support them. They don't fire someone every time there is a setback.  We took our first step by winning the Big Sky Championship.  We have had a setback last year and this year.  Now the executives need to evaluate, step in, mentor and make sure the staff has all of the resources to continue to move the program in the right direction and be successful.  We have made smaller strides this year than I would have liked but a lot of people predicted 7-4 at best.  7-4 isn't good enough anymore but unless you think we are prepared to start the 5 year cycle all over then although you may be right, I believe we should stay the course.  How long depends on the rest of this year, recruiting, positive changes within the program including staff and additional resources.  As fans we need to be part of the solution and many of us are trying to do that but believe me, I and others are just as frustrated if not more than you and others.  

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Good question, but I bet 7-4 and beat NDSU we are in the playoffs

25 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I don't think hockey has ever been run like family business.  How many people wanted Hakstol fired.  He was one of the most successful coaches in college hockey.  He was recognized by his peers, his players and NHL coaches and executives.  How many rubes wanted Berry gone when we started 0-2-1?   Some people don't seem to understand that you can be a good coach and still have ups and downs.  

UND football is run like any other business.  The speed by which we are moving to our goal of perennial playoff participation and championships are limited by our financial resources just like any other business.  Good corporations make all of the resources available for their employees to be successful, then mentor them and support them. They don't fire someone every time there is a setback.  We took our first step by winning the Big Sky Championship.  We have had a setback last year and this year.  Now the executives need to evaluate, step in, mentor and make sure the staff has all of the resources to continue to move the program in the right direction and be successful.  We have made smaller strides this year than I would have liked but a lot of people predicted 7-4 at best.  7-4 isn't good enough anymore but unless you think we are prepared to start the 5 year cycle all over then although you may be right, I believe we should stay the course.  How long depends on the rest of this year, recruiting, positive changes within the program including staff and additional resources.  As fans we need to be part of the solution and many of us are trying to do that but believe me, I and others are just as frustrated if not more than you and others.  

NDSU has had a history of quickly getting rid of football coaches that didn’t serve them (Babich, who got an NFL assistant job).  That permanently damaged their entire program!  NDSU realized that Babich was not HC material even though he was outstanding at Xs and Os.

Some people are great at Xs and Os, but there are not leaders in a battle for conquest.  Bubba is very good at being a coordinator, but hasn’t shown that it translates to being a HC, which is executive position.  Look at Duluth.  Nielsen gets a lot of grief on this board, but he is a proven executive.  Gets rid of people that are even personal friends.  That’s a rare talent and often can’t be taught.

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

You raise a key point.  Although I don't believe for a moment he is clueless, but when we struggle repeatedly in an assistants area, why does he still believe that coach is the best one to help our program.   

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Kostich and Rudolph both need to go. They need to be replaced by qualified DI coaches, not replaced by promotions within the current staff.

I understand some may want to see guys like Freund promoted, but he has been a part of the problem whether you want to hear it or not. Bubba NEEDS to implement new ideas and energy into this staff from the outside. The offense and special teams are beyond stale right now in the areas of innovation and discipline. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

If we beat NDSU we would roll the rest of the year.   I'd say we should be very capable of 10-1 if that were to happen.   The playoffs should be the ultimate goal with beating the Bison a feather in our caps along the way.   No way do we win in Fargo and then play dead the rest of the season.

Now if we lose to NDSU and fail to make the playoffs, then no question Bubba needs to go.   The failures can't go on forever.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I agree with Ira but also see your points as valid. There is certainly a dilemma right now between Bubba and his staff. Bottom line is Bubba isn't going anywhere due to his contract length, commitment to UND, Chaves' early tenure, etc.

As such, I see the most likely and effective solution is replacement of Rudolph and Kostich by qualified external DI coaches. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

You raise a key point.  Although I don't believe for a moment he is clueless, but when we struggle repeatedly in an assistants area, why does he still believe that coach is the best one to help our program.   

Very interesting indeed. 

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”. - Albert Einstein

Now, I certainly am not saying Bubba is insane, but at some point changes need to be made with UND consistently not meeting expectations. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

How can you excuse the consistent failure to score in the second half? That’s been a issue for 5 seasons. Rudolph runs the offense - that falls on him. 

Special teams has consistently been bad. One could say it lost UND’s only DI playoff game. It most definitely kicked UND out of the playoffs this season by losing their game yesterday with blocked punt for score, missed XP, repeat kickoffs out of bounds, etc.

OC and ST coordinator needs to be changed. I would also be perfectly happy if Chaves completely cleaned house though. 

That is my point, UND is built and a defense first team and the defense has been disappointing.  To me this should be a full reset of the coaching staff!

1 minute ago, shep said:

I just don't get the Schmidt love here. The D is average.

It was just an example.  But people that aren’t standouts merely average in one technical job can be absolutely outstanding executive in another and vice versa.  

People are gifted differently and a good AD and HC understands that.

5 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

The playoffs should be the ultimate goal with beating the Bison a feather in our caps along the way.   

That's the way I see it.

But I am afraid there is a significant contingent of the fan base that would be satisfied with a .500 football team as long as an edge in the head to head matchups with NDSU we're in the equation.

But I digress.  Kostich should have been left in Moscow.......

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

It was just an example.  But people that aren’t standouts merely average in one technical job can be absolutely outstanding executive in another and vice versa.  

People are gifted differently and a good AD and HC understands that.

True.

I think that we shouldn't discount the possibility of Freund doing well in a different roll. Can't blame a coach for being a team player so if he's following the OC's lead, he's not able to put out his own thoughts/techniques/ideas all the time.