SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

3 minutes ago, shep said:

True.

I think that we shouldn't discount the possibility of Freund doing well in a different roll. Can't blame a coach for being a team player so if he's following the OC's lead, he's not able to put out his own thoughts/techniques/ideas all the time. 

I caution this. As per this thread's title, the staff needs new blood.

New blood = new ideas and new culture. 

Freund is a great guy who bleeds green; however, the ideology of the offense and special teams needs to be changed from what it has been the past 5 years.

Bubba and Schmidt are tied in strategy/scheme so they come as a package. 

10 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Move Schmidt to HC, Bubba to DC and Freud to OC.   The staff needs to be shaken up and new blood inserted.  It won’t happen, but someone needs to be an executive as HC.

I know you're not serious, but a HC should never simply be moved down. Unfortunate sometimes, but he has to be removed completely if no longer HC, otherwise players and coaches will continue looking to him and undermine new HC.

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I caution this. As per this thread's title, the staff needs new blood.

New blood = new ideas and new culture. 

Freund is a great guy who bleeds green; however, the ideology of the offense and special teams needs to be changed from what it has been the past 5 years.

Bubba and Schmidt are tied in strategy/scheme so they come as a package. 

FYI, I"m not saying Freund IS the answer at OC, but I think he could disagree with the O ideology but is stuck with it from above. He could see the team in a completely different light than Rudy and frankly, I believe he's a great recruiter too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I know you're not serious, but a HC should never simply be moved down. Unfortunate sometimes, but he has to be removed completely if no longer HC, otherwise players and coaches will continue looking to him and undermine new HC.

I’m the type that doesn’t want to get rid of competent people in real roles.  But Bubba has seemed to exceeded his fb potential as HC.  Bubba just needed to make hard decisions years ago.  Maintain that neither him or Faison ever saw that light.

I am guilty of being a big fan of Freund, and I know the inbred nature in which UND hires many of it's coaches isn't probably all that healthy, but I think Freund could be a good OC someday, somewhere.  He was a very good QB and leader on the field, and played on some of UNDs best offenses.

But again, not saying he is ready now.  And the offense is like 3rd on the list of what I think is ailing this program right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

Nope...but I keep Bubba, get rid of OC and SC and move on to see what happens next year. If NO playoffs and a loss to Bison, I'd be off the wagon in that scenario too.

This is what should have been done last year and I am assuming our Athletic Director at the time, if he was doing his job had a discussion with Bubba about shaking up the staff and Bubba chose to remain loyal to "his" guys......well now what? If that discussion didn't take place which would be a failure by Faison then I guess it is up to Chaves now but I wouldn't recommend a shake up of staff, I would demand it. 

I know everyone talks about the lack of money but I guarantee there are up and coming great minds in college football who are 24-30 years old and just looking for a shot. At the FCS level the reality is assistant coaches should be using UND to get better jobs and opportunities not looking at UND as a permanent stop. I would hope every assistant coach on our staff has aspirations of becoming a head coach and moving up the ranks from position coach to coordinator positions.

As far as the playoffs go. From our local perspective and at first glance, does UND "deserve" a playoff spot? Probably not.

But taking a closer look at FCS football maybe tells a little different story.

Who are the playoff "eligible" teams left? How deserving are they?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We should be a top 10 team every year and we should expect to knock off top 5 teams, not simply go "toe to toe" with them. 

That isn't what I was debating, the statement I was refuting was UND not being competitive which simply put isn't an accurate statement.  Oh, and we did beat a top 5 team early in the year. 

11 minutes ago, BigGame said:

That isn't what I was debating, the statement I was refuting was UND not being competitive which simply put isn't an accurate statement.  Oh, and we did beat a top 5 team early in the year. 

True. But that team has proven itself to be closer to #30 than #5.

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

True. But that team has proven itself to be closer to #30 than #5.

people that keep talking about the shsu game are like ndac fans talking about beating the big 12 champs kansas state! (the previous season's champs)...big difference.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Move Schmidt to HC, Bubba to DC and Freud to OC.   The staff needs to be shaken up and new blood inserted.  It won’t happen, but someone needs to be an executive as HC.

This is the dumbest !@#$ I’ve ever read on this board.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kab said:

Minot and Mary have a combined one win this year

may be some coaches looking for work

Shannon Stassen is probably ready to get back into coaching. 12-85 record at UMC. Kind of failing as city administrator so could be looking for a change. 

6 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Ok another hypothetical.  Five years ago, UND hires a head coach and entire staff with no ties to UND and no ties to anyone who posts on this board.  Fast forward five years and 43 blocked punts later, this imaginary coaching staff has amassed a .527 record, 1 victory in five years against teams finishing in the top 15, zero playoff victories, and countless clock and game management blunders.  

Would the Bubba backers extend that same reality-devoid optimism towards this imaginary coaching staff that they do for Bubba and co.?   

We all know the answer.

Stubborn refusal to change, refusing to make staff changes, being out adjusted every half time, too conservative to go for ot on 4th and one, total lack of discipline and organization on special teams,  and total crap performances in big games.  Bubba has been telling us loud anc clear what kind of coach he is.  Why won't we listen? Keeping his entire staff last year puts thi squarely on him.

ST has been an issue since the (lone, sole, only) playoff game. 

Offensive play calling has been an issue since the (lone, sole, only) playoff game. 

And we don't have that "Lennon era" defense that you could just put the game into the hands of like Dale could with Bubba as his DC.

That level of dominating defense does not exist in FCS.

Not even NDSU has that level of defense (sorry Bison fans). I can back that up with this statement to prove it: When NDSU is up a score late do they play field position and trust the defense? No. They run the offense looking to stick in the dagger; they do not play field position and just hope the defense finishes it. 

Now go back and read my post yesterday about winning, defeating, or humiliating. NDSU plays to defeat their opponents. Full marks to them for stopping there because they really could humiliate some opponents if they willed it.

My eyes tells me Bubba and his staff plays hoping to win. And that's no longer good enough. 

Adjustments, game level, staff level, philosophy level, need to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

ST has been an issue since the (lone, sole, only) playoff game. 

Offensive play calling has been an issue since the (lone, sole, only) playoff game. 

And we don't have that "Lennon era" defense that you could just put the game into the hands of like Dale could with Bubba as his DC.

That level of dominating defense does not exist in FCS.

Not even NDSU has that level of defense (sorry Bison fans). I can back that up with this statement to prove it: When NDSU is up a score late do they play field position and trust the defense? No. They run the offense looking to stick in the dagger; they do not play field position and just hope the defense finishes it. 

Now go back and read my post yesterday about winning, defeating, or humiliating. NDSU plays to defeat their opponents. Full marks to them for stopping there because they really could humiliate some opponents if they willed it.

My eyes tells me Bubba and his staff plays hoping to win. And that's no longer good enough. 

Adjustments, game level, staff level, philosophy level, need to happen. 

The players want to win. They desire to be an aggressive team that wins big games. The staff is holding them back.

I encourage anyone who has replay capabilities to go back and watch the sequence in the Idaho game when Bubba pulled the offense off the field on 4th&1 in Idaho territory. Ketteringham was hot and even confronted Bubba as he came off.

Now, these are all things that regularly happen in the heat of the moment so they don’t mean anything personal, but they do suggest that the coaching staff is dampening any possible momentum and fire in the offense.

UND football will always be mediocre if this staff wants to constantly implement a “nice guy” cautious strategy. The players that want to win recognize this. 

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ locked this topic