SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

15 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I wouldn't get rid of Kostich.  Maybe he needs a different role but I would keep him on the staff.

My view from afar - I believe the kids like him and he is a good recruiter.

He already has a master's degree so unpaid grad assistant won't work.  No other role he's qualified for.

15 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

“Brother of Lowell” was a missing bullet item.  

That is just as inaccurate as the baloney people claimed about hiring Hakstol cuz O'Keefe was his father-in-law.  Lowell obviously supported Bubba, but Lowell doesn't have that authority nor power.  There were a lot of people who supported Bubba including former players, coaches and boosters.  Doesn't matter right now, what matters is whether or not Bubba is the guy to continue to lead the program.  I have stated my opinion.  State yours, but leave the guys family out of it.

Stick to the task at hand.  Comments on whether or not you want coaching changes make sense, but this kind of stuff will get everyone sidetracked.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The "Lennon" philosophy doesn't work in FCS, meaning build a lead and stifle the other team with defense. 

You must have a competent enough offense to move the ball for four quarters of a game.
And you must have the philosophy that you want to move the ball for four quarters.
Sitting back and resting on three quarters' work is asking to lose. 

• Upvote 1

Here's how it's done. Yes, it's the e-e-e-evil Bison. 

Tied into the fourth. They score. YSU goes three and out. NDSU's first play when finally up a score late? Play action pass that hits. They finish the drive with a FG. Up two scores with 5 minutes left. YSU three and outs again. Now, when up two scores with 3 minutes left, NDSU goes all conservative run game (but still gets a scoring chance with a missed FG). 

NDSU defeated YSU with that FG scoring drive. 

NDSU played to defeat YSU, not just win, defeat. 

That mindset is missing from UND's coaches. 

• Like 1

Well, in my book RT coached those kids, defined a winning ethic, a climate of work and leadership, and then Dale coaches one year and wins the championship (I think I have that right). I just don’t see giving credit to someone who walked into a well developed team. I would say there was a very strong Sioux defense years before Dale appeared. Also, he was at the top of DII and did not have to climb the ladder to get there. Bubba et al are climbing a ladder.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Cratter said:

This team wins it's final two games and it's a big improvement from where they were last year.

Gotta celebrate!

3-8 to 7-4 baaaby!

That is Paul Ralston's take on it.  Huge improvement according to him.  But he was also the same one talking about injuries last year.  I agree that injuries were a huge thing to overcome last year, but going into the year the expectation was not only a home playoff game, but actually a bye.  Why then, when you get all those players back for this season should the expectation be lowered to surpass the record you had when injuries were the byword?    If anything, the expectation should be even higher because you get most of the injured players back and have also added depth from guys that got to play a lot more than they would have otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

As much as I'd hate to start completely over w/ a coaching staff, I feel like we're in a lot of trouble here. . . I have a hard time believing Bubba is our guy and wish there was a good FBS assistant out there w/ some potential.  As much as last year could partially be blamed on injuries, especially on the defensive side, I still thought we could have done more on Offense that would have given us more chances to win some of those games.  Ruddy should have never been hired in the first place, as bad as he was at Minot State, but to hold on to him this long is the worst insult to injury.  We play the Bison next year, and are moving to the MVFC the year after that?  Not w/ these guys as coaches. . . 

And them spouting last week, that "it's really important that we win out to make the playoffs" drove me nuts.  No, it was important that you won the Weber State game.  They were supposed to be "win or die" on that game first and I never heard that.  (Although, I was in Vegas, maybe I missed it).  I pretty much knew we were hosed after we lost to Weber.  We just can't close, it seems like.  I give up.    

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Here's how it's done. Yes, it's the e-e-e-evil Bison. 

Tied into the fourth. They score. YSU goes three and out. NDSU's first play when finally up a score late? Play action pass that hits. They finish the drive with a FG. Up two scores with 5 minutes left. YSU three and outs again. Now, when up two scores with 3 minutes left, NDSU goes all conservative run game (but still gets a scoring chance with a missed FG). 

NDSU defeated YSU with that FG scoring drive. 

NDSU played to defeat YSU, not just win, defeat. 

That mindset is missing from UND's coaches. 

With under 4 minutes left and up by 3, UND ran a play-action to the fullback on 2nd and 9 with a stacked box on a sideline wheel route that was wide open, the pass was just a bit long. UND also went for the jugular with a deep play-action pass to Maag on 1st and 10 with about 6 minutes left that would have likely iced the game. Had his guy beat like a drum. Ended up being twice as nice because it not only stopped the clock but Maag pulled his hamstring.

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

That is Paul Ralston's take on it.  Huge improvement according to him.  But he was also the same one talking about injuries last year.  I agree that injuries were a huge thing to overcome last year, but going into the year the expectation was not only a home playoff game, but actually a bye.  Why then, when you get all those players back for this season should the expectation be lowered to surpass the record you had when injuries were the byword?    If anything, the expectation should be even higher because you get most of the injured players back and have also added depth from guys that got to play a lot more than they would have otherwise. 

Ralston is the radio sideline guy. His job is to provide some levity and perspective for fans. Don't confuse that with the staff or players being satisfied.

48 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That is just as inaccurate as the baloney people claimed about hiring Hakstol cuz O'Keefe was his father-in-law.  Lowell obviously supported Bubba, but Lowell doesn't have that authority nor power.  There were a lot of people who supported Bubba including former players, coaches and boosters.  Doesn't matter right now, what matters is whether or not Bubba is the guy to continue to lead the program.  I have stated my opinion.  State yours, but leave the guys family out of it.

Stick to the task at hand.  Comments on whether or not you want coaching changes make sense, but this kind of stuff will get everyone sidetracked.

This is the GOBC we are talking about here Ira, this isn’t Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny!  

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

With under 4 minutes left and up by 3, UND ran a play-action to the fullback on 2nd and 9 with a stacked box on a sideline wheel route that was wide open, the pass was just a bit long. UND also went for the jugular with a deep play-action pass to Maag on 1st and 10 with about 6 minutes left that would have likely iced the game. Had his guy beat like a drum. Ended up being twice as nice because it not only stopped the clock but Maag pulled his hamstring.

I was thinking the same thing.  Coaches did call for the jugular, but the players did not execute.  With that said, the FB wheel route was a low probability (dumb) play call.

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I wouldn't get rid of Kostich.  Maybe he needs a different role but I would keep him on the staff.

My view from afar - I believe the kids like him and he is a good recruiter.

A lot of kids liked Michael Jackson, too..... doesn’t always correlate into a great idea. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Coaches did call for the jugular, but the players did not execute.  With that said, the FB wheel route was a low probability (dumb) play call.

I don't know how good his hands are, but I thought it was an appropriate call. Box was stacked keying on Brady, the only healthy running back. Not sure if there was a TE option on the play as well but that's a lot of bodies to get through. The play was there, the throw wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So there's an execution problem which normally goes back to setting the expectation that proper execution is the expectation, nothing less will do. Good tries are not good enough. 

As I've said, watch championship teams (like NDSU).
They execute every detail every time.
It's their expectation.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I don't know how good his hands are, but I thought it was an appropriate call. Box was stacked keying on Brady, the only healthy running back. Not sure if there was a TE option on the play as well but that's a lot of bodies to get through. The play was there, the throw wasn't.

Maag was double covered when he pulled his hammy.

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I agree with what you're saying; however, let us now consider how connections to UND have clouded the judgement of many past hiring processes. 

Just because Bubba - or anyone for that matter - has past ties to UND, that should not mean qualified candidates for coaching should be denied. Now, the Bubba versus Kalen DoBoer ship has certainly sailed; however, in regards to coordinators, if there are any candidates out there who are qualified and capable but have no previous ties to UND, they should still be contacted, interviewed, and strongly considered. UND football needs to expand its sights if it wants to improve. In my estimation, the level of commitment to those with past ties has historically been excessive. 

You can certainly disagree, as I feel many with ties themselves will, but I just feel this needs to be an emphasized point as new coaches are potentially considered moving forward. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, ajries18 said:

This is not an excuse - but maybe we target people with UND ties because they are more likely to accept the position for less pay than someone without ties to UND.  We know the coaching salaries are not up to standard....

But will doing that actually lead to consistent winning?

I would say no. 

But I do think you bring up a very good point. Trying to get around the coaching salary issues for non-hockey sports has certainly led to problems, especially during the DI era. Whether right or wrong, it is partly why the Kennedy vs Kris Engelstad McGarry topic became quite heated, particularly among those who recognize and are familiar with the coaching salary gap at UND. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

in regards to coordinators, if there are any candidates out there who are qualified and capable but have no previous ties to UND, they should still be contacted, interviewed, and strongly considered. UND football needs to expand its sights if it wants to improve. In my estimation, the level of commitment to those with past ties has historically been excessive. 

FWIW, only 3/10 assistant coaches went to UND.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

FWIW, only 3/10 assistant coaches went to UND.

I understand, but the Bubba versus Kalen DoBoer finalist conversation is well known and is partly what my argument is based on. With that said, my argument applies for other head coaches at UND, both past and present, as well. The head coach then chooses his coordinators/assistants with perhaps a local flavor to it. 

Schmidt obviously has direct UND connections. Rudolph indirect in that he faced Bubba's defenses while at St. Cloud. Kostich came with recommendation from Jerry Kill, as I understand it. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I understand, but the Bubba versus Kalen DoBoer finalist conversation is well known and is partly what my argument is based on. My argument applies for other head coaches at UND, both past and present. The head coach then chooses his coordinators/assistants.

Right.  I'm just saying a UND connection has not been a requirement for who Bubba has hired as assistants.

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Right.  I'm just saying a UND connection has not been a requirement for who Bubba has hired as assistants.

But a local (ND/MN) connection (which I would argue is perhaps even worse than over-favoring a UND connection) has been, particularly with Rudolph and Kostich. Those two haven't worked out.