SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Bubba needs to realize that if he doesn't get rid of Kostich and Rudy at the end of the year.  If he doesn't realize that, he is not the man we need in charge of this program.  

He should have done that last year when it was warranted.  

53 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

... or just 3 DL with 8 to clean everything else up. 

You can spin it anyway you want. Comes down to execution and in-game adjustments based on what opposing offense is doing. 

You would struggle to find a 3-4 that doesn’t need to blitz to get pressure.

3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

YES   :whistling::whistling:

we can all debate on what style of offense and defense would be most successful, but what irritates me so much right now is the guys played their hearts out, got screwed by the refs multiple times, and did enough to win this game if it wasn't for complete coaching ineptitude.  

8 minutes left in the game and up by 10, and with the reputation our punt team has,  we don't max protect on that punt????

less than 4 minutes left in the game up by 3, our top 4 receivers out with injury, and we decide to go into #chuckthepigskin mode???   This from the staff that is more in love with TOP than any other statistic known to man???

If Bubba and the Blunderers want to attempt to stem the tide of frustration among the fanbase right now, I would hope they take it upon themselves this week to accept complete blame for this loss and give the players credit for doing enough to win. 

Post of the week right here.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

What do you see as the major concern on offense. Is it play calling or scheme? 

Both. 

There is a deficit of situational play-calling. Case in point would be the offense called at the end of Idaho game or looking back when UND was up 24-7 against Richmond in the 2016 playoffs but blew the lead with pathetic play-calling. 

There is a deficit in scheme with both personnel groupings and utilization of personnel.

The personnel groupings are horrible. There is no reason, when Santiago, Oliveira, and Johannesson were all healthy, why Santiago couldn't have sometimes played in the slot. Or Johannesson could've played some FB. Or have faster receivers like Adeoti, McKinney, and Griebel all be on the feild at the same time for a few plays to stretch the defense. Motion Santiago out wide and throw a deep ball to him. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Lastly, the complete lack of a running back screen game and a TE play-action passing game is pathetic. As a run first team, you absolutely need to have a screen game and a play-action game to your tight ends. 

So, in summary, there are problems in both play calling and scheme. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It seems the most unstoppable defense is one that gets pressure with 4 DL. That leaves 7 to clean everything else up. That’s a big advantage for the d.

May I change your "DL" to "rushers".
I don't care if it's 3 DL and a LB, or 3 DL and a safety, or 2 DL* an LB and a CB. 
But you have to get pressure with 4. 

*Drop the NG into coverage! :D 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There is no reason, when Santiago, Oliveira, and Johannesson were all healthy, why Santiago couldn't have sometimes played in the slot. Or Johannesson could've played some FB.

Has anyone else seen NDSU's "delta" formation?
I've seen that out of UND (with three comparable, or dare I say better, backs) maybe twice. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm going to make a statement I never thought I'd make:

I miss Chris Mussman. 

Not head coach Mussman, offensive coordinator Mussman. And now I itch. 

How about Kotelinicki as special teams coordinator? I miss him. Less talent in a lot of areas and way better results.

You know, it may just be possible to hire good DI coaches that did not previously play or coach at UND. It's about the right fit at the right time for both sides. 

UND football has been missing the "it" factor ever since going Division I. The "it" factor is the mindset and ability to actually compete for championships, both conference and national. You have to be able to consistently make the postseason first before you can compete for championships, and that is where the program is constantly getting hung up.

I want new blood that will take the program to a level that the previous coaches, most of whom we have absolutely no personal problems with,  have been unable to reach. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

My sources tell me Caruso would be interested if Chaves were to place that call.  

But does he have ties to UND? We'll even go back as far as 3rd cousins.

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

Jump from DIII to DI is risky. He definitely has been successful, though. 

No doubt, and I thought the same thing. Liepold to Buffalo seems to be headed in the right direction and was the only precedent I could find. 

48 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You know, it may just be possible to hire good DI coaches that did not previously play or coach at UND. It's about the right fit at the right time for both sides. 

UND football has been missing the "it" factor every since going Division I. The "it" factor is the mindset and ability to actually compete for championships, both conference and national. You have to be able to consistently make the postseason first before you can compete for championships, and that is where the program is constantly getting hung up.

I want new blood that will take the program to a level that the previous coaches, most of whom we have absolutely no personal problems with,  have been unable to reach. 

Doing a little research, I found the last UND head football coach that wasn't a former player or assistant coach was Marvin Helling (1957-1967).  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

No doubt, and I thought the same thing. Liepold to Buffalo seems to be headed in the right direction and was the only precedent I could find. 

What about DIII to DI FCS coordinator?  Still too big a jump?