SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's First Offensive Play vs. Washington

Sioux04

I's like to see the same pass play to Santiago we used early against Cal-Poly two years ago at the alerus. Got Santiago into space, and he made a guys or two look silly before going down. Ended up hurt on the play, but that was because of the hit, not the play. Ended in a nice gain.

While it would be interesting to see how imaginative a play-caller would have to be to truly take on a top-10 FBS team with the expectation of winning, or at least playing close, I can't imagine UND (Rudolph, in particular) would show very many cards offensively in a game that essentially meaningless.  Need to save those for games that really matter.  Don't get injured, don't get embarrassed, bring home the paycheck, and use the money wisely.

• Like 1

Play action to Santiago, as the MLB will dive hard on the line given it looks like our standard first play, then a quick hit on a slant route into the open space off the motion (motion gets you inside the OLB).  I'd like to see it to Izzy, but would be happy with one of our possession guys as well - turn that big body and be your own shield.  May only go for 5 - 8 yards, but it would be a positive start!

Ooops, I answered seriously.  Sorry!

1 minute ago, GoHawks said:

Probably going to be a pitch to the right or left. Seems like they used that play almost 10+ times in the first game. Think on one drive they used it 4 times in a row.

I noticed that too but wasn't that surprised. We should be able to beat teams like that with page 1 of the playbook.

13 hours ago, Sioux04 said:

Hopefully we don't go Santiago up the middle!  I am far from a football mind, but I was thinking a screen pass to Brady.

I'm really interested in what you all would do if it was your call.

I’m expecting that or Olivera off tackle. Now that we are going back to the NCC 2.0 time to run the ball almost every play. 

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

While it would be interesting to see how imaginative a play-caller would have to be to truly take on a top-10 FBS team with the expectation of winning, or at least playing close, I can't imagine UND (Rudolph, in particular) would show very many cards offensively in a game that essentially meaningless.  Need to save those for games that really matter.  Don't get injured, don't get embarrassed, bring home the paycheck, and use the money wisely.

Get out of here.

A game that is meaningless?

WRONG.

The experience the players get from this game will carry through for the rest of their careers! Which environment is more intimidating: Husky Stadium or the FargoDome?

If UND plays Washington close or wins, is it meaningless then? That momentum could carry through for the remainder of the season.

After all that, you probably will still be correct in that UND will lose by a lot. But that doesn't make you realistic or a football expert; it makes you someone who takes the easy way out. I want UND football under Bubba to challenge expectations and look to exceed the status quo. The status quo, if that is what UND fans truly expect, is the easy way out and won't lead UND to the playoffs anytime soon. The status quo is not favorable for UND football - people outside of UND don't expect UND to be FCS playoff material this season or anytime soon. UND (including us fans) need to challenge that. 

Johannesson in at FB and fake a toss and run quick trap.  It has a chance to hit but likely wouldn't lose yards unless JJ falls or one of the OL completely miss a block.  This will not be the play but it would a low risk play to start the game that could go for good yardage. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Get out of here.

A game that is meaningless?

WRONG.

The experience the players get from this game will carry through for the rest of their careers! Which environment is more intimidating: Husky Stadium or the FargoDome?

If UND plays Washington close or wins, is it meaningless then? That momentum could carry through for the remainder of the season.

After all that, you probably will still be correct in that UND will lose by a lot. But that doesn't make you realistic or a football expert; it makes you someone who takes the easy way out. I want UND football under Bubba to challenge expectations and look to exceed the status quo. The status quo, if that is what UND fans truly expect, is the easy way out and won't lead UND to the playoffs anytime soon. The status quo is not favorable for UND football - people outside of UND don't expect UND to be FCS playoff material this season or anytime soon. UND (including us fans) need to challenge that. 

Hey didn't mean to offend anybody.  I'm a legitimate UND fan through and through, and not a troll.  What I meant by meaningless is that it doesn't hurt them if they lose the game.  It does hurt them if they lose to an FCS team later, whether it be regular season or playoffs, because an opponent was able to learn a little too much about UND through watching film of this game, which is why I don't think we'll see anything too flashy.

I love reading the comments, and occasionally chime in, but football is not my forte, so I mainly just read.  I've learned a lot about the game, though, by following these threads.

• Upvote 1