SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

SWSiouxMN

I don't think the SHAC is much better than the BESC, especially considering the amount of money put into renovating it. The bowl seating is nice, but the seats are cramped and somehow very far from the court.

The additional practice gym that has been floated would be a nice addition for all 3 programs that utilize the BESC. Guessing the outstanding loans need to be paid off first, only ~2 years remaining on those. 

For women's basketball, I like the Betty more than those other arenas because the games rarely sell out at any of them, and the Betty is louder and has a better atmosphere for what these teams typically draw in attendance.  I'm sure the non game day facilities are lacking though.  I'll never stop saying it, but that place needs taller risers - it will make a huge difference in the look and feel of the place.

North Side  - Athletics Master Plan

Remember the hyslop is getting repurposed.

image.png.f3ec639ca5db0d6a26c8760f1c5185a2.png

image.png.383f38ce38ddede9f060006ca3a3b4cb.png

• Upvote 2

Would love to see the Current Betty used as the practice facility.  IMO it is not a D1 Arena.  Build a new arena to the West of the Betty between the Current Betty and Wellness Center.  I would involve some infestruction changes and would need to add parking to the south were the Tennis courts are.

1. USD 7-1

2. SDSU 7-1

3. DU 5-3

4. ORU 4-4

5. WIU 4-4

6. NDSU 3-5

7. UND 3-5

8.Purdue-FW 2-6

-----------------------------------

9. Omaha 1-7

Wardolf College @ NDSU (Wed)

Purdue-FW @ ORU (Wed)

Peru St College @ Omaha (Wed)

SDSU @ DU (Thurs)

UND @ WIU (Fri)

USD @ Purdue-FW (Sat)

SDSU @ ORU (Sat)

UND @ Omaha (Sun)

NDSU @ WIU (Sun)

Everyone is saying how you like this or that... but again it’s about recruits and recruiting, I’m glad some think the BESC is better than others down I-29, but I bet a high school kid from the Cities doesn’t see it that way and that’s the point! And that’s why USd and SDSU gets certain kids and we don’t.. bells and whistles .. our crowds are as good if not better, so yes we can sell environment, but think if we could sell both!?! So again, I think We need these upgrades for recruiting, not for our comfort.  

• Upvote 1

I agree with you the Betty can meet what UND needs to for seating and attendance and you could add more seating by just improving the bleachers on the end. But now when it comes recruiting battles first impression are important on young high school student coming to visit the program. A larger more big time arena would help and I also would think it may help getting more the und students to games too because psychology this is division I basketball. Also it would give UND better practice facilities like some of the other schools in the Summit. All of this  may have been much easier to get done if we were on better standing with Engelstad family to start getting the donations to build a facility like this. I believe they would want to have facilities that reflect well with the institution and their family name. Also this was done right could become center for state and regional tournaments to bring in public from all over the state making it experience attending these functions. The other thing with betty becoming practice facility it also could become more multifunctional facility where you could also have tennis courts right on campus and etc. 

5 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I agree with you the Betty can meet what UND needs to for seating and attendance and you could add more seating by just improving the bleachers on the end. But now when it comes recruiting battles first impression are important on young high school student coming to visit the program. A larger more big time arena would help and I also would think it may help getting more the und students to games too because psychology this is division I basketball. Also it would give UND better practice facilities like some of the other schools in the Summit. All of this  may have been much easier to get done if we were on better standing with Engelstad family to start getting the donations to build a facility like this. I believe they would want to have facilities that reflect well with the institution and their family name. Also this was done right could become center for state and regional tournaments to bring in public from all over the state making it experience attending these functions. The other thing with betty becoming practice facility it also could become more multifunctional facility where you could also have tennis courts right on campus and etc. 

The Engelstad family cares only about hockey. Nothing else matters. Their words and actions reflect this. Time to court other potential donors; it is unhealthy to rely on one benefactor.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The Engelstad family cares only about hockey. Nothing else matters. Their words and actions reflect this. Time to court other potential donors; it is unhealthy to rely on one benefactor.

UND would be better off hitting up Phil Jackson.  Although I don’t think he has any interest in donating for a new facilty.  Maybe some upgrades to the Betty though although I doubt that as well since after all, it’s called the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

UND would be better off hitting up Phil Jackson.  Although I don’t think he has any interest in donating for a new facilty.  Maybe some upgrades to the Betty though although I doubt that as well since after all, it’s called the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center.

Phil Jackson court at BESC

:D

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If they haven't been doing this all along, then I don't have much faith in the direction of UND athletics. 

• Upvote 2

While it is true that it is unhealthy to rely on one benefactor the rest of your statement is ridiculous.

To say nothing else matters to the Engelstad Family is probably the dumbest thing that will be posted on this website in 2019....well for the month of January anyway.

Donations to 100's of different groups, charities, causes, and organizations in the millions and millions of dollars.

http://engelstadfoundation.com/esf/past-donations/

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, petey23 said:

While it is true that it is unhealthy to rely on one benefactor the rest of your statement is ridiculous.

To say nothing else matters to the Engelstad Family is probably the dumbest thing that will be posted on this website in 2019....well for the month of January anyway.

Donations to 100's of different groups, charities, causes, and organizations in the millions and millions of dollars.

And they still need that football money. :silly:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

Just curious - I don't know. Does Phil Jackson support UND financially? His name gets brought up at times?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, petey23 said:

Nice putting words in my mouth.

I did not say "nothing else matters to the Engelstad Family." I only meant as it pertains to UND athletics. And it is true. Do you see KEM writing checks for the MBB, WBB or FB programs? Or any other programs not named Men's Hockey? I don't.

They give to charities, good for them (and for the recipients of their goodwill). But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Nice try, please play again. :silly::p;)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Since we got rid of the Fighting Sioux name and logo, I think the odds of Jackson donating to help the basketball programs have gone up.....if we have the nerve to ask. Jackson played here and his experiences at UND helped him get to where he is today, so I would think we could convince him to give to MBB and WBB.

• Upvote 1

Since we got rid of the Fighting Sioux name and logo, I think the odds of Jackson donating to help the basketball programs have gone up.....if we have the nerve to ask. Jackson played here and his experiences at UND helped him get to where he is today, so I would think we could convince him to give to MBB and WBB.

Convincing him may have to include a lot of $$$$. 

• Like 1