SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

SWSiouxMN

USF beat SU by 33, I believe, and we're up by 3 in the 2nd OT, so win or lose, I believe these girls have been playing up to potential since halftime of the Stetson game.  I haven't seen them play for some time, so I'm just reading between the lines.  But they now seem to be playing up to potential, and that's what it's all about.

Sorry that my updates disappeared this afternoon - my phone died in the second OT.

After watching UND BB for many years, today's game was one of the most unusual games I have seen.  It was very frustrating, interesting, confusing and ultimately fun games I have ever seen.  To win after four of our starters had fouled out was amazing.  Hopefully, it will provide some added confidence going into conference play.

My thoughts about the team after seeing the three Florida games:

• The competition did their homework and really worked to shut down Klabo.  They actually were quite successful in doing so.  She was 3 of 16 from the field against Stetson (many forced shots), 4 of 7 against WMU (only one 1st half shot) and 6 of 16 today.  Fortunately, she was 28-32 at the line.  I was impressed with her - you could tell that she was frustrated much of the time but she continued to work hard and showed good patience when her teammates weren't doing much to help the team offensively.  That meant the opposition could collapse on her even more.
  • We could/should have won all three games.  We truly played terrible the first half against Stetson and being down by 20 at half was too much to overcome.   Stetson came from behind to beat the Bison today by one.  That said, winning today's game after committing 18 first half TOs was amazing.
  • At times, it appeared we had some decent potential but we just aren't very athletic and we don't have great "basketball sense".  This lack of athleticism contributes to all the turnovers, fouls and missed opportunities.  

I don't usually comment about officiating but it was really poor all three days.  The last two days it was equally bad for both teams but against Stetson, the whistle didn't blow after at least 6 obvious travel calls against them.  We had 31 fouls vs. 15 for Stetson in that game.  

I watched the Bison some.  As we know, they aren't very good but that sure doesn't mean we will handle them easily.

I talked with Brew and quite a few parents.  Interesting discussions that I won't post here.  A handful of you know me, if you want my thoughts about the program and its future, PM me.  

On 12/22/2018 at 9:45 AM, gfhockey said:

I’ve smoked cigars and dipped whiskey late in the light with brew

I have always liked Coach Brewster and think he would be a good guy to have a brew with. Pleasant change after Roebuck. But I was driving home from work on Friday and my radio was on the The Fan in Fargo. I heard his interview after the game and I am almost positive I heard him call one of his players a pork chop. I don't have a problem with that but in today's politically correct world it seemed like something that might get a coach in trouble. 

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I have always liked Coach Brewster and think he would be a good guy to have a brew with. Pleasant change after Roebuck. But I was driving home from work on Friday and my radio was on the The Fan in Fargo. I heard his interview after the game and I am almost positive I heard him call one of his players a pork chop. I don't have a problem with that but in today's politically correct world it seemed like something that might get a coach in trouble. 

what exactly did he mean by that?

12 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

what exactly did he mean by that?

I am not sure. The announcer commented on one of the girls playing well and Brewster said something to the effect that she is their little pork chop.  It just seemed odd to come out of a coaches mouth on air. I am not saying it was negative toward the girl, just odd. 

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

You obviously don't know Roebuck. He is an outstanding guy to have a beer with. Just hated Amy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

I am not sure. The announcer commented on one of the girls playing well and Brewster said something to the effect that she is their little pork chop.  It just seemed odd to come out of a coaches mouth on air. I am not saying it was negative toward the girl, just odd. 

fair enough.  

13 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Stop it nd1sufan that’s rediculous and just trying to start something that isn’t there!  Good 2 wins, yes could have got 3, to finish out non conference schedule! Momentum will hopefully carry them into the Summit schedule! 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

fair enough.  

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, nd1sufan said:

I heard the same comment on the radio.  I don't believe Coach Brew was meaning anything negative by the comment.  The player I believe is the shortest player on the team at 5'7".  Calling a player their little pork chop is just saying that although she may be short, she doesn't lack grit and plays harder than most.  Some people may take being called that a complement.