SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

SWSiouxMN

Impressed to see that the ladies put up 80 when Lexi only had 13.  Also, say what you want, but in the handful of games that I've seen this season, the ladies have always played hard and never quit, regardless of the circumstances;  testimony to good senior leadership, if not good coaching.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Say the women do the improbable...

Would the Summit get 3 teams in?

Charlie Creme (ESPN bracket-ologist for WBB) has stated that, yes, the Summit would get 3 in.  OTOH, Creme is not on the committee, and the committee typically looks for excuses to put P-5 teams in over mid-majors.  My guess is that in that scenario, one of the SD schools gets bumped to the WNIT.  JMO

15 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

Charlie Creme (ESPN bracket-ologist for WBB) has stated that, yes, the Summit would get 3 in.  OTOH, Creme is not on the committee, and the committee typically looks for excuses to put P-5 teams in over mid-majors.  My guess is that in that scenario, one of the SD schools gets bumped to the WNIT.  JMO

Your scenario would probably be right, but man would it be cool.

I don't see it happening (as in UND winning both games) but still.... 

18 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

Question: has Brewster saved his job with the tourney win?  Or was his seat ever hot to begin with?

I’d say Walseth being let go today made his seat very hot and our AD needs to decide quickly if he is the correct person to be running this program.  

Und played hard today but bottom line is that they are just not at the South Dakota level of talent. I think Brew saved his job yesterday with win in the tournament and because SU fired there coach. This is time for us to lock up some talent for next few years from the region. I think Brew wants to keep coaching he better start looking for the fast moving guards that can shoot and drive the basketball. Over the years he has let to many of these girls get recruited out the area and have come back to beat him on the court. I actually think that Klabo  being gone next year will be good thing for the UND program. I can here the sound of the responses from everyone here but  I think it will make us better team. I also think will make Brew coach this as team instead of star lead team. All year we had this star mentality for the structure of the team instead of just looking for the player that's open or who's hot at given time. The game when she was hurt we got glimpse of this when we found some of these other girls on the team could perform and we were much harder to defend because they didn't know who was going to be the first option. The big question is what is the talent coming in for next year and what style of basketball are we going to play. Are we retooling to be able to play against South Dakota schools or are we going to stay the course with us being big team in the front line and pounding it inside. If we choose the latter we will be looking for a coach year from now. Second thing is if Brew is going to stay around hw needs ditch ego and mind games he played with his previous teams. He can coach and knows the game but if he's going to make next big step he needs to get point where his girls buy into him like Roebuck did when he coached this is what separates coaches from being average and coaches that are considered top coaches. I think you can get away with mind games and etc in major programs because level of talent they recruit and because so many players covet being at major program they have numbers where players can be easily be replaced other than their top recruits. I look at next year will determine what direction we are heading as a program but my guess is Brew is on pretty short leash for the coming year.

In DI basketball how big of a pass do you give a coach and team when they are semi successful by saying that they play hard?

Playing hard is great but is expected at this level. It is a minimum of what a DI athlete should be expected to do. 

Now add on all the talent stuff you also need. Add on playing smart and limiting turnovers. It’s being athletic enough to play at this level.

No, just playing hard isn’t enough to get a pass on winning.

I get what you're saying but what I meant by playing hard a lot of teams after falling behind team like South Dakota in third by 20 points would have let that score go to 30  to 40 points and South Dakota would have been to able to put in their bench by fourth quarter. We made them play hard for most of the game. This team playing South Dakota basically had no chance of winning this game we couldn't match them in guard play and has been weakness of this team all season long. I did see in this tournament that some of girls on the bench have more talent than I thought when they got a chance to play in the Tournament.  I was looking at Mckeever a girl less than 75 miles from Grand Forks playing for South Dakota wonder how we missed on her and maybe we never had a chance for her.  But I looked we brought in guard of Chasity Franklin the year that Mckeever was recruited so we did have opening for a guard that year. I was looking at the amount of turn over we have had in players and has been significant I was looking at this senior class we have lost swatze, Asuncion, Ripplinger, Boike, Burroughs, and Freije . With the first four on list being guards and then after some these were let go we brought in Daily sisters for guards. The question I have is out of this list with the other two senior guards of Strand and Morton we had no top flight guard on this team. So to speak we have in four years looked and offered spots 8 different people and have missed on all of them. I would think you would start evaluating the criteria on how your determining to find guards that can produce for you offensively and run your offense and play defense. Because a college coach is not only coach but also general manager in acquiring talent putting people in place that can assist you. Here again we have large turn over in coaches etc. in the last few years so this is signs we have something occurring to well being of this program. Brew by winning to get us into semifinals of tournament and his past success here has earned just enough to get another year but I think he has to produce big next year especially when his contract is coming to end to get another one.

Lets look at the recruits coming in:

5’10 PG - Borowicz - Roseau - 3,000 plus points - Big time player/guard everyone is saying brew needs - 33pts in yesterdays state quarterfinal win!

5’10 G - Keplin - Century - Big time shooter - physically ready - winner

6-0 G - Zander - Mandan - Miss Basketball - Big time shooter - good length and athleticism 

5-8 PG - Manson - Sheyenne - Skilled, big time shooter, knows how to play - tough kid

6-3 F - Lane - Pequot Lakes - Played for North Tartan EYBL(top 10 AAU program in country), Long, athletic, scores and rebounds in bunches 

6-4 C - Aly Van Loo - Beaver Dam - Comes from one of the best HS teams in the Country - Long, Big, Skilled around the hoop!

I think thats everyone, but could be wrong - regardless, thats your 1 big time guard, 3 big time shooters, and 2 bigs that should be able to play in the post.  

With that said, it will even take some time for FRESHMAN to get used to the speed of the game, but the talent is there!

2 hours ago, RogerRoger12 said:

5’10 PG - Borowicz - Roseau - 3,000 plus points - Big time player/guard everyone is saying brew needs - 33pts in yesterdays state quarterfinal win!

6-0 G - Zander - Mandan - Miss Basketball - Big time shooter - good length and athleticism 

5-8 PG - Manson - Sheyenne - Skilled, big time shooter, knows how to play - tough kid

6-3 F - Lane - Pequot Lakes - Played for North Tartan EYBL(top 10 AAU program in country), Long, athletic, scores and rebounds in bunches 

6-4 C - Aly Van Loo - Beaver Dam - Comes from one of the best HS teams in the Country - Long, Big, Skilled around the hoop!

I think thats everyone, but could be wrong - regardless, thats your 1 big time guard, 3 big time shooters, and 2 bigs that should be able to play in the post.  

With that said, it will even take some time for FRESHMAN to get used to the speed of the game, but the talent is there!

The three finalists for Miss Basketball in North Dakota and one of the all-time leading scorers in Minnesota; for some reason, I'd forgotten about the two bigs.  Looks great on paper.  We'll need at least 3-4 of them to be ready to step in next season.  Looks like this class will bring some much-needed outside shooting to the table.

26 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

The three finalists for Miss Basketball in North Dakota and one of the all-time leading scorers in Minnesota; for some reason, I'd forgotten about the two bigs.  Looks great on paper.  We'll need at least 3-4 of them to be ready to step in next season.  Looks like this class will bring some much-needed outside shooting to the table.

Of the local kids Manson is another Reinke at best. Zander will be solid role player with good size and Keplin looks like a true scorer. 

The best of the group is Borowicz. She's the real deal. Has all the skills needed at this level. Can do everything player.......and she's a natural leader and winner.

Her sophomore sister went for 37 yesterday. Brew definitely needs to snag her. She's getting a heavy look from the Gophers.

19 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Of the local kids Manson is another Reinke at best. Zander will be solid role player with good size and Keplin looks like a true scorer. 

The best of the group is Borowicz. She's the real deal. Has all the skills needed at this level. Can do everything player.......and she's a natural leader and winner.

Her sophomore sister went for 37 yesterday. Brew definitely needs to snag her. She's getting a heavy look from the Gophers.

Hopefully, Kacie's coming to UND will have some pull after Katie graduates.  The only time that I saw Manson play was the DL game at the state tournament and she seemed to shoot the ball pretty well.

30 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Manson can really shoot the ball and dribbles well, Reinke really struggles in both .. Reinke is a good defender, that’s her strength.. so totally different players 

20 minutes ago, RogerRoger12 said:

Manson can really shoot the ball and dribbles well, Reinke really struggles in both .. Reinke is a good defender, that’s her strength.. so totally different players 

I think you give Manson too much credit and Reinke not enough. Both are/will be servicable at UND. The EDC was way down this year. Manson didn't exactly tear it up. She's a spot up shooter. Can't create her own shot. Of the 4 local girls I mentioned she's at #4. Good player though.

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think you give Manson too much credit and Reinke not enough. Both are/will be servicable at UND. The EDC was way down this year. Manson didn't exactly tear it up. She's a spot up shooter. Can't create her own shot. Of the 4 local girls I mentioned she's at #4. Good player though.

Agreed both are good players, but saying one is good on offense and one is good on defense isn’t cutting one short. And seeing Und needs Offense I like her a little more 

On 3/14/2019 at 8:09 AM, RogerRoger12 said:

I like this group as it appears it contains good scoring talent but especially a bunch of ladies with good fundamentals and leadership skills - something that we have lacked the last few years. 

Pequot Lakes is a small school so I assume Lane didn't play against too many girls her size but she put up some great numbers (25 & 13).  She is also a  good track athlete - I hope she can contribute right away.

As Roger noted, VanLoo played on some great teams.  She would have definitely played against good competition but didn't have great numbers (9 & 5.6).  Hopefully, she can provide help inside right away.  

As far as I know, Emma Anderson is still coming.  She had a knee injury this last season and didn't play a great deal.