SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

SWSiouxMN

23 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Nice to see the trapping press

wr made something like 30 free throws 

we only attempted five threes making one

Hmmmm.  Didn't bomb unnecessary threes and went hard to the hole getting fouled. I like it.  I also love that Klabo is our best free throw shooter, she does it all.

2nd straight win and jump shots in both games were taken inside the 3 point line for the most part. They shot well from that range, but can't make 3s. Seems like the recipe for success, get closer shots. Now we need the women to shoot the ft's for the men.

Their pre conference schedule may have actually helped them, all those away games(win or lose), really seemed to have them prepared to play at ORU.. they played against a lot of good teams and it showed with the W! I know some of us panicked and almost started calling for heads to roll, but remember Brew has been here before and he usually finishes well in conference.  Sometimes there is a method to the madness .. keep it rollin hawks 

This was nice win on the road but real test for us will come when we play the Two South Dakota schools to see where we are in this conference. Also Western Illinois looks like they are going to be in the mix of the conference. I think if we play up to potential we could be fighting for the 3 spot in the conference when all dust settles after we get into the conference season.

13 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

This was nice win on the road but real test for us will come when we play the Two South Dakota schools to see where we are in this conference. Also Western Illinois looks like they are going to be in the mix of the conference. I think if we play up to potential we could be fighting for the 3 spot in the conference when all dust settles after we get into the conference season.

I expect that we will lose by 30 to both South Dakota schools. The SD schools are that much better.   :sad:

I don’t know about western Illinois 

3 hours ago, UND1981 said:

Our girls deserve better coaching than what they got today.  Give up 25+ layups and not even try a zone defense.  I don't get it??

I was wondering about the zone defense too. I missed the first half so I didn’t know if we tried  zone the first half or not. We clearly couldn’t stop layups playing man to man in the second half. It was way too easy for WI to get to the basket.

I also was surprised that coach rarely got off his chair to coach. We are back to sending in players and allowing one mistake and then they are taken out. Didn’t see too many smiles on UND players faces today.

3 hours ago, UND1981 said:

Our girls deserve better coaching than what they got today.  Give up 25+ layups and not even try a zone defense.  I don't get it??

Agree.  I know Brewster is recovering from surgery but he almost seemed disengaged at times.  I thought he could of called a timeout when W Illinois was on a run to hopefully slow them down but nothing.  And my God, what was it with allowing all those lay-ups.  You're right, a zone defense likely could have slowed that up.   

42 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Agree.  I know Brewster is recovering from surgery but he almost seemed disengaged at times.  I thought he could of called a timeout when W Illinois was on a run to hopefully slow them down but nothing.  And my God, what was it with allowing all those lay-ups.  You're right, a zone defense likely could have slowed that up.   

A zone sure may have been the answer but we simply have no quickness!  

• Upvote 1

I thought we didn't make many changes during the game defensively and for sure we were getting beat in the man to man defense we had today we couldn't match up to them defensively. I though we should have tried some form of zone defense just to see if we could stop them from scoring at will. There two guards were quicker than our guards but I thought if we would have played either box and chaser or even better a triangle and two where our guards could put maximum of pressure on the outside and force there smaller guards to come inside to where they had shoot over our bigger posts we may have cut down on easy layups. In the first half when there guards had to come in shoot over our posts they didn't score at will. Also being in triangle zone like that we would be position to standing in front not chasing with our slower post players. I noticed when Leet was in the first half her height alone made Western Illinois players change there shots. I just thought we needed to make some changes because when you're giving up 90 spot were not getting many stops and we don't have offense that could keep up with that kind of scoring.

Second thing I noticed is from Omaha game even though western a different team is that when we had Klabo back the rest of the team seems to just stand around and expect her to carry offensive load. When she wasn't there at Omaha all the girls were looking for there shot and offense seemed to just click with the threat coming from all five. I also think it reflects in the coaching too because it seems Brewster takes a girl out if she show some initiative in scoring and she not one of the stars for the team. I think he believes in always going to his stars first and that may be high percentage most of the time but it also makes you very predictable defend and limit your scoring chances. Also it takes fun out the game for other players on your team and also puts extra pressure on these girls to know that if take a shot it may mean playing time and especially if you miss a shot. Also I have noticed our girls never seem to be having fun on the court even when there winning big on the court. This is something I have noticed since the Roebuck era his players played with much more emotion and seemed more together as a team at least that's way I remember it.