SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

14 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Here's my guess for the mascot.  It screams/screeches of the same creativity put into the logo design.  

See the source image

No amount of "creativity" will help when you've got a bland nickname in a bland location and your hands are tied by a long-standing controversy and open, gaping wounds.  The Fighting Hawks logo was doomed before it ever came to be.  They could have come up with the freaking Mona Lisa of college sports logos and it would not have made a bit of difference with most people.

Pick 10, 20 or 100 of your favorite corporate/sports logos and then assess them based on the same "creativity" criteria you used here and let us know what you come up with.  Simple lines?  Reproducibility?  Incorporation and integration of multiple elements?  Recognizability?  I'd be shocked if your off-the-cuff critique of UND's logo would hold up.

In all honesty, this mascot is really UND's first chance to take a chance and come up with something fun.  I am slightly optimistic.

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

No amount of "creativity" will help when you've got a bland nickname in a bland location and your hands are tied by a long-standing controversy and open, gaping wounds.  The Fighting Hawks logo was doomed before it ever came to be.  They could have come up with the freaking Mona Lisa of college sports logos and it would not have made a bit of difference with most people.

Pick 10, 20 or 100 of your favorite corporate/sports logos and then assess them based on the same "creativity" criteria you used here and let us know what you come up with.  Simple lines?  Reproducibility?  Incorporation and integration of multiple elements?  Recognizability?  I'd be shocked if your off-the-cuff critique of UND's logo would hold up.

In all honesty, this mascot is really UND's first chance to take a chance and come up with something fun.  I am slightly optimistic.

I'm picturing something like Izzy from the 1996 Olympics...

th?id=OIP.E30dH1TWvipK2BH5ipavwgAAAA&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No way on a mascot.... but I'd be totally down for UND adopting an actual Hawk. Be especially awesome to have when the Minnesota Gophers visit Grand Forks. I still love the idea of someone throwing a live gopher on the ice and our Hawk swoops down from the REA rafters to tear the gopher apart. Nothing like a pregame ritual to get fans amped. :lol:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm setting my mascot expectations in line with my nickname and logo expectations: Low, so they're easily exceeded. 

Didn't work for me.  Guess I should have set them even lower. 

On 4/16/2018 at 1:49 PM, SiouxFanatic said:

No way on a mascot.... but I'd be totally down for UND adopting an actual Hawk. Be especially awesome to have when the Minnesota Gophers visit Grand Forks. I still love the idea of someone throwing a live gopher on the ice and our Hawk swoops down from the REA rafters to tear the gopher apart. Nothing like a pregame ritual to get fans amped. :lol:

Thats not bad. Actually could be cool.

I'd get begind that. 

There is ZERO chance the committee will be creative enough to come up with that.

They've already paid the consulting company to fabricate the costume. 

To put into context what kind of pathetic effort went into the design company gore that is the Fhawks logo.....

The damn costume contract cost the school 2/3 the price they paid for the intern effort on the logo.

13 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Thats not bad. Actually could be cool.

I'd get begind that. 

There is ZERO chance the committee will be creative enough to come up with that.

They've already paid the consulting company to fabricate the costume. 

To put into context what kind of pathetic effort went into the design company gore that is the Fhawks logo.....

The damn costume contract cost the school 2/3 the price they paid for the intern effort on the logo.

Also ZERO chance any kind of animal rights group lets this fly. Would be sweet, though.