SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

26 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, by telling someone how they should feel about something, you aren't helping. Do it your way and they'll do theirs.

Feel whatever you want.  But when you have people on social media hijacking every single post with reference to the Fighting Hawks with "Sioux Forever", "post office logo" , "no one is buying this Fighting Hawks crap", or when you have "Sioux Forever" chants at hockey games, etc , that's where your feelings negatively affect the University.  And that is what I have a problem with.  If you can't deal with the changing of a nickname, that's your problem.  Don't make your unwillingness to move on affect the rest of the world around you where many have.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think anyone has issues with how people feel, it's how the are acting because of that feeling.

If that feeling doesn't cause them to act in a way that doesn't put UND in a negative light, that's fine. The way it's being done now is not meeting that objective. 

Oh jees, c'mon. Like we've had such a sterling reputations among other team's fans anyway. 

I think most fans from other teams understand the feeling of the people who don't want to let go of the Sioux nickname. They didn't want it to go, either. 

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Feel whatever you want.  But when you have people on social media hijacking every single post with reference to the Fighting Hawks with "Sioux Forever", "post office logo" , "no one is buying this Fighting Hawks crap", or when you have "Sioux Forever" chants at hockey games, etc , that's where your feelings negatively affect the University.  And that is what I have a problem with.  If you can't deal with the changing of a nickname, that's your problem.  Don't make your unwillingness to move on affect the rest of the world around you where many have.

How is this negatively affecting the University? I'd love to hear an example of this. Social media is FILLED with nonsense. Are players not coming to UND because fans argue about the nickname? No. Are donors still donating? Yes. Sure, this could change long term is this isn't eventually stopped, but at this moment, I fail to see how the University is affected by our whining and moaning on social media and message boards. You don't like it, so you see the University is being painted negatively. The Sioux Forever crowd is holding onto the name and see it as a badge of honor to fight for. Maybe, we all just relax and let the whole thing play its course.

What affect is it to you personally other than you finding it annoying? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Oh jees, c'mon. Like we've had such a sterling reputations among other team's fans anyway. 

I think most fans from other teams understand the feeling of the people who don't want to let go of the Sioux nickname. They didn't want it to go, either. 

I always think it's funny that UMD fans give us !@#$ about not getting over the Fighting Sioux nickname when their coach has yet to do so...

The change still irks tradition-bound fans and alumni like Sandelin, a defenseman from 1983 to 1986.

Sandelin found plenty of support in the room. About one-quarter of the approximately 250 attendees wore Fighting Sioux attire, including the three women in the back selling raffle tickets.

When Sandelin opened his remarks with, “Always nice to be back among the Fighting Sioux fans,” he received immediate and prolonged applause.

“I knew that would get a rise,” he said, smiling.

Several minutes later, Sandelin concluded this way: “Once a Sioux, always a Sioux. I can still say that.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/03/sports/hockey/with-sioux-nickname-gone-north-dakota-hockey-fans-are-fighting-change.html

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I always think it's funny that UMD fans give us !@#$ about not getting over the Fighting Sioux nickname when their coach has yet to do so...

The change still irks tradition-bound fans and alumni like Sandelin, a defenseman from 1983 to 1986.

Sandelin found plenty of support in the room. About one-quarter of the approximately 250 attendees wore Fighting Sioux attire, including the three women in the back selling raffle tickets.

When Sandelin opened his remarks with, “Always nice to be back among the Fighting Sioux fans,” he received immediate and prolonged applause.

“I knew that would get a rise,” he said, smiling.

Several minutes later, Sandelin concluded this way: “Once a Sioux, always a Sioux. I can still say that.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/03/sports/hockey/with-sioux-nickname-gone-north-dakota-hockey-fans-are-fighting-change.html

Any fanbase would be upset for a long time if they had to change their name. Add a tradition as strong as ours, a process that was flubbed, removing for a reason that many think is ridiculous and unfair, a generic logo and nickname and you have a fanbase who will take longer than most to move on. But no... this side has to just "GET OVER IT" because the other side says so.

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Any fanbase would be upset for a long time if they had to change their name. Add a tradition as strong as ours, a process that was flubbed, removing for a reason that many think is ridiculous and unfair, a generic logo and nickname and you have a fanbase who will take longer than most to move on. But no... this side has to just "GET OVER IT" because the other side says so.

#prayersforsiouxfans  

Like it or not in our society symbols and names mean things.

To the vast majority.. a concept that still somehow baffles the very few hawkstepping Hawkzis....

The name meant something, tradition, excellence, strength, team, family, success. 

The fnhawk does not deserve any of those symbolistic virtues to be assosciated with it,

its true...as some keep regurgitating......

. its just a frkn nickname......

nothing special, nothing of meaning, nothing to support, a cheap outline, no more. no less.

Im sorry you're so angered by that, I have a feeling that anger stems from some long standing hurt you felt that you assosciate with the old name, but Im not here to pat you on the head and tell you it will all be better. Not my job, and in all likelihood its not going to get better for you....sorry.

Im sure the nest of the hawk is providing you with a safespace and thats going to have to be good enough.

You do you. 

....but when a shadow group  convenes another committe to select a firm in order to hold a vote to narrow a field.... to select a design....

before pissing away another $35 grand on a chicken suit.

Im going to call BS... and criticize the hawkpoop out of it.  Every time.

10 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

To the vast majority.. a concept that still somehow baffles the very few hawkstepping Hawkzis....

The name meant something, tradition, excellence, strength, team, family, success. 

The (fill in new UND nickname/identity here) does not deserve any of those symbolistic virtues to be assosciated with it,

its true...as some keep regurgitating......

. its just a frkn nickname......

nothing special, nothing of meaning, nothing to support, a cheap outline, no more. no less.

Im sorry you're so angered by that, I have a feeling that anger stems from some long standing hurt you felt that you assosciate with the old name, but Im not here to pat you on the head and tell you it will all be better. Not my job, and in all likelihood its not going to get better for you....sorry.

Im sure the (fill in favorite identity-themed analogy here) is providing you with a safespace and thats going to have to be good enough.

You do you. 

This is what die-hard Fighting Hawkers will be saying in 90 years after the birds finally take over the world and outlaw ornithological names and mascots. :D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Can we get over adding the word "Fighting" to every potential name?  It's just a weak attempt to hold onto something that's gone.  Both Hawks and Scouts sound better without it. 

Just my opinion.

Fighting can go away for the others, but it has to be there for Fighting Sous Chefs to make sense.  #Rollingpins   

6 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

....but when a shadow group  convenes another committe to select a firm in order to hold a vote to narrow a field.... to select a design....

before pissing away another $35 grand on a chicken suit.

Im going to call BS... and criticize the hawkpoop out of it.  Every time.

UND/ND spent a million dollars trying to save the nickname and got nothing in return except clowns complaining "they didn't do enough".  Yet you are complaining about 35K for a mascot?

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

UND/ND spent a million dollars trying to save the nickname and got nothing in return except clowns complaining "they didn't do enough".  Yet you are complaining about 35K for a mascot?

A Million fighting for a principle is aworthy debate anywhere

$35K for a chicken suit is just stupid everywhere.

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

A Million fighting for a principle is aworthy debate anywhere

$35K for a chicken suit is just stupid everywhere.

Like I said to the other crowd... name calling and all this nonsense isn't helping your cause, either. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

How do you think potential students and student athletes see the whole thing? In the very best scenario, it sure as hell isn't helpful. But I guess that's OK, people can continue to sh!t on the University they are supposedly supporting because well, nickname or something. 

15 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Cool. The nickname and logo have changed multiple times and none of them have ever won a game or hung a banner. None of them ever appeared on the diplomas of people that graduated. The University of North Dakota is the one constant over the last 135 years yet people are stuck on a nickname that was around for a little over half of that (which has been causing controversy for at least 2/3's of the time) and a logo that was barely a decade old.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Cool. The nickname and logo have changed multiple times and none of them have ever won a game or hung a banner. 

I think thats something that could be debated, I believe symbolism and effects on group psyche and performance have shown that there is value in the "Name on the Front" mentality in sports and many other areas of society.   

But really ...its just a frckn nickname ... so we will never know appearently.

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I think thats something that could be debated, I believe symbolism and effects on group psyche and performance have shown that there is value in the "Name on the Front" mentality in sports and many other areas of society.   

But really ...its just a frckn nickname ... so we will never know appearently.

One thing we do know for sure: The Brien logo never hung a green banner in the REA but a generic jersey that said "North Dakota" did.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

The Brien logo never hung a green banner in the REA but a generic jersey that said "North Dakota" did, no debating that.

True but the concept of the traditions and excellence and values of the Fighting Sioux culture existed in those programs in that era... as is does today and in the future of the program. No matter what logo is on a jersey. The NCAA or a whack job engrish proffessor, or the Hawkzis cant take from us.

The Sioux is never coming back... but the traditions remain. 

I dont like the new logo and name. Thats most of us, but it seems for some we dont have the right to voice that opinion. its either fall in line with the minority or your speech is hate. 

A disturbing trend in our country today.

but that is a whole nother case of beer conversation. 

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

One thing we do know for sure: The Brien logo never hung a green banner in the REA but a generic jersey that said "North Dakota" did.

People that think the logo had anything to do with championships are just as delusional as people who think Fighting Sioux is coming back.

Fighting Hawks as a nickname sucks. The logo didn't help it. Neither will the mascot. It is plain, generic, and over used. Shame on us for thinking the committee would follow the guidelines set forth and pick something relative to the state that evokes a feeling of pride. All I feel by Fighting Hawks is shame. Do I still attend athletic events? Yes. Do I still cheer for the teams? Yes. Will I particular in a chant that says hawks? No. Go green!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

How do you think potential students and student athletes see the whole thing? In the very best scenario, it sure as hell isn't helpful. But I guess that's OK, people can continue to sh!t on the University they are supposedly supporting because well, nickname or something. 

I think students and student athletes could not care less whatsoever about this debate. Do you honestly believe a football, hockey, or basketball.... hell ANY recruit wouldn't come her because people debate about this on social media?? GTFO.

I want proof of one situation that this has happened. Just one.

And btw, they aren't dumping on the University. They are dumping on the nickname they don't like, so unless you have proof this is hurting the University, it's a nonsensical, strawman argument. 

• Upvote 2

We all agree the list of "hostile and abusive" native american nicknames was ridiculous and an overreach by the NCAA.  We all agree the Standing Rock tribe should have been given the opportunity to vote their approval of disapproval of UND using the Fighting Sioux name.  We all agree that having to retire the fighting Sioux name and logo sucked (to put it lightly).  We all agree that the entire process of selecting a new name was horrible and were upset the committee didn't follow their own guidelines by selecting something unique and relevant to the state of North Dakota.  We all agree that Fighting Hawks is a bland, generic, just another bird, etc nickname.  We all agree that they could have come up with a better logo.  

All of us as UND fans are in the same boat regarding the whole nickname fiasco. Where we differ is how we are dealing with it.  There are things in life that don't always go according to how we would like them too.  When that happens you can either feel sorry for yourself, get angry, take it out on others, etc. Or, you can realize that you cant change the past, accept the outcome, and move on.  Yes losing the Sioux name was hard on all of us.  But in the grand scheme of things in regards to relevance, it is not something that a person should be trying to deal with years later.  It's not a death in the family, a child getting diagnosed with cancer, losing your job, losing your home to a fire.  It's the nickname of your favorite college program changing.  Just try to keep that in perspective.

• Like 2