SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

21 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Hold on.....it shouldn't happen?   ???

I mean that in more of a sense of timing. Honestly, though, is it really that big of a deal that players say Sioux? They aren't boycotting the games because they have to wear the logo on their jerseys. Just like from the fan base, it's going to take time for everyone to embrace it fully. I think that's my main gripe. The "FH crowd" seems like they are expecting people just to "get over it".... this causes the "Sioux Forever" crowd to cry NEVEEERRR. Just a cycle of stubborn lol.

8 minutes ago, Goon said:

I am a big fan of Thunder the Bleacher Creature. 

Other than the Irish (and he's not a big foam fake guy, he's a human) none of my teams growing up had mascots. Just always saw them as hokey. I get the draw/appeal of them, though.

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I mean that in more of a sense of timing. Honestly, though, is it really that big of a deal that players say Sioux? They aren't boycotting the games because they have to wear the logo on their jerseys. Just like from the fan base, it's going to take time for everyone to embrace it fully.

I mean, yeah, it kind of is. The University is spending resources on branding (which was severely lacking the last decade, since there was no actually identity or brand to promote) and you have a group of very in-the-public individuals who are not only supposed to represent the University but are also getting scholarships and full cost of attendance from the University and they are basically publicly speaking out against that mission whether it be directly or indirectly. Not only that, but the public display of supporting the old nickname only encourages the general public who are looking for a reason to not move on and enables the "Sioux Forever" line of thinking because if the hockey team isn't going to move on, why should they?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, yeah, it kind of is. The University is spending resources on branding (which was severely lacking the last decade, since there was no actually identity or brand to promote) and you have a group of very in-the-public individuals who are not only supposed to represent the University but are also getting scholarships and full cost of attendance from the University and they are basically publicly speaking out against that mission whether it be directly or indirectly. Not only that, but the public display of supporting the old nickname only encourages the general public who are looking for a reason to not move on and enables the "Sioux Forever" line of thinking because if the hockey team isn't going to move on, why should they?

Again, I totally get the point. I just don't agree. I think the representatives of a University should have every right to say what they want. Many feel the process was bad, don't like the name, don't like the logo, etc., etc., and I don't feel the players should have to jump forward at the whim of the University. What's the other option than encouraging them to embrace it? Force them to or take their schollies? 

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, I totally get the point. I just don't agree. I think the representatives of a University should have every right to say what they want. Many feel the process was bad, don't like the name, don't like the logo, etc., etc., and I don't feel the players should have to jump forward at the whim of the University. What's the other option than encouraging them to embrace it? Force them to or take their schollies? 

We'll have to disagree on that. Not saying the comparison is apples to apples, but that isn't how the real world works. If your'e being compensated to represent someone/something, you shouldn't be publicly doing things that are the opposite of a stated goal. I'll agree that there is a difference between not embracing or showing apathy towards it, which would be fine, but continuing to push the Fighting Sioux stuff is something that I think is unnecessary from the team. 

Just now, jdub27 said:

We'll have to disagree on that. Not saying the comparison is apples to apples, but that isn't how the real world works. If your'e being compensated to represent someone/something, you shouldn't be publicly doing things that are the opposite of a stated goal. I'll agree that there is a difference between not embracing or showing apathy towards it, which would be fine, but continuing to push the Fighting Sioux stuff is something that I think is unnecessary from the team. 

They are paid a scholarship to play for the team and they do so while wearing the FH logo. No one is sitting out because of it. It's not like they are going all over social media and bashing it, some of the players are just showing their preference. I see nothing wrong with that. Again, what's the other option? Force them to embrace it? No. It's got to be organic and for some, it'll take more time than for others.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Oh no, no we can't embrace the past.  Not at a time when people are tragically killed.  Not according to those arguing over a tweet meant to honor fallen hockey players, showing a touching tribute of hockey sticks leaning against a monument of Sioux Chief Sitting Bull, with a huge Sioux logo in the background.  

No pun intended but seriously, some of you finding these miniscule things to complain about and attempting to dictate how everyone moves forward in regard to the name change need to find a new hill to die on.  

I prefer infinitesimal :)

• Like 1

The gesture was 100% authentic and a great way to show support for a hockey team during a difficult time.  I think what people are having issue with the tweet from Hayden was that he was representing the University of North Dakota hockey team as the Fighting Sioux.    The student athletes are the ones that compete for the school and wear the name and logo on their jerseys and compete under that identity.  The fact that a UND hockey player doesn't identify with the name he plays for is what the issue is.  What is frustrating is how virtually every other athletic program at UND has embraced the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  that is very apparent when you look at players/coaches/etc tweets and comments.  When it comes to the hockey program, they are not like that at all.  And that is why people take issue with tweets like this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Oh no, no we can't embrace the past.  Not at a time when people are tragically killed.  Not according to those arguing over a tweet meant to honor fallen hockey players, showing a touching tribute of hockey sticks leaning against a monument of Sioux Chief Sitting Bull, with a huge Sioux logo in the background.  

No pun intended but seriously, some of you finding these miniscule things to complain about and attempting to dictate how everyone moves forward in regard to the name change need to find a new hill to die on.  

No one was complaining on where the hockey sticks were, and being at the REA I thought was great since it’s a big symbol of college hockey. It’s the Fighting Sioux in the tweet that people are having issues with. 

13 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

No one was complaining on where the hockey sticks were, and being at the REA I thought was great since it’s a big symbol of college hockey. It’s the Fighting Sioux in the tweet that people are having issues with. 

Point still stands that it seems like a silly time to call out the nickname issue.

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

What's silly is that there is still continues to be a nickname issue when it should be resolved by now.

It is resolved, but doesn't mean people have to like it and can move on as they please. You (not specifically you, but the "FH crowd") telling people to move on only continues the annoying cycle.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Yes it is. It’s a circle which needs to stop.

Either side beating their chest and telling the others they are wrong isn't going to make it stop. Both sides are going to cope in their own way and time and whether you like or not is completely irrelevant. 

Annnnnd circling back to the mascot. I personally don't think a mascot helps this timeline. I could be biased in this instance, I suppose :D

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

What's silly is that there is still continues to be a nickname issue when it should be resolved by now.

Did you know UND was known as the Fighting Sioux SIX years ago? To some it would seem like it was dropped an hour ago.