SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

24 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

No one was complaining on where the hockey sticks were, and being at the REA I thought was great since it’s a big symbol of college hockey. It’s the Fighting Sioux in the tweet that people are having issues with. 

Exactly.  Which is a very miniscule....some may even say infinitesimal, thing to point out and complain about.   

If the hockey team uses the tradition of the program to rally around, who are we to judge.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Either side beating their chest and telling the others they are wrong isn't going to make it stop. Both sides are going to cope in their own way and time and whether you like or not is completely irrelevant. 

Annnnnd circling back to the mascot. I personally don't think a mascot helps this timeline. I could be biased in this instance, I suppose :D

It took UND 60 years to get a Fighting Sioux mascot lasted one year and now 25 years later here we are again.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Keep telling people to move on... seems like strategy has been effective :silly:

But people throwing the Sioux name at the faces of people who have moved on isn’t helping things either. 

Person 1: Go Fighting Hawks

Person 2 replying to comment: you mean Sioux.

Person 1: no I mean Hawks

Person 2: real UND fans say Sioux, you are too PC with your USPS logo. 

So again it’s a circle that needs to stop.

6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

But people throwing the Sioux name at the faces of people who have moved on isn’t helping things either. 

Person 1: Go Fighting Hawks

Person 2 replying to comment: you mean Sioux.

Person 1: no I mean Hawks

Person 2: real UND fans say Sioux, you are too PC with your USPS logo. 

So again it’s a circle that needs to stop.

Try this.... let them say it... move on and eventually that person's hard line will likely change. You arguing is actually going to make it worse.

And if that particular person's hard line doesn't change, most others will. You don't have to continue the circle. You're choosing to do so rather than letting this process run it's course. Good for you that you've moved on. Others haven't.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Try this.... let them say it... move on and eventually that person's hard line will likely change. You arguing is actually going to make it worse.

I see it to anyone saying Go Hawks (not just me). It’s the same back and forth all the time. It just gets old.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm sure it does, but just don't get into it. The person isn't going to change because you say they should. Period.

The Hawks supporters shouldn't be required to just allow themselves to be censored/shouted down though either.

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The Hawks supporters shouldn't be required to just allow themselves to be censored/shouted down though either.

Agreed, but to end the circle that Darell is talking about, someone is going to have to "be the bigger man." The Hawks group is asking the the "Forever Sioux" group to change on THIER timeline and not the other way around, for the most part. MOST "Forever Sioux" fans realize the name isn't coming back and they are ultimately fighting a losing battle. Riding it out and biting the tongue seems to be the less stressful route for the Hawks crowd. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed, but to end the circle that Darell is talking about, someone is going to have to "be the bigger man." The Hawks group is asking the the "Forever Sioux" group to change, not the other way around, for the most part. MOST "Forever Sioux" fans realize the name isn't coming back and they are ultimately fighting a losing battle. Riding it out and biting the tongue seems to be the less stressful route for the Hawks crowd. Just my opinion.

I am never going to be behind the fighting hawks name. I have 10 Fighting Sioux jerseys that should last me my life time so ill just keep wearing those to the hockey games and see how many fighting hawks fans I can make go to their safe spaces! Not all of them, just the ones that really get butt hurt when they see or hear the Fighting Sioux name get mentioned!

1 minute ago, Emerald joker said:

I am never going to be behind the fighting hawks name. I have 10 Fighting Sioux jerseys that should last me my life time so ill just keep wearing those to the hockey games and see how many fighting hawks fans I can make go to their safe spaces! Not all of them, just the ones that really get butt hurt when they see or hear the Fighting Sioux name get mentioned!

Your prerogative, my friend. I do think you're in the minority, over time, however.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Either side beating their chest and telling the others they are wrong isn't going to make it stop. Both sides are going to cope in their own way and time and whether you like or not is completely irrelevant. 

Annnnnd circling back to the mascot. I personally don't think a mascot helps this timeline. I could be biased in this instance, I suppose :D

I want a 7 foot tall bird with a happy silly face that flaps its wings and hops around.

Well, obviously 6 years isn't enough for some people to move on. UND should probably just halt everything for another decade and see if they'll come around and accept reality that it's just a nickname and logo, not a deity. Life is full of changes, it is what it is.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Well, obviously 6 years isn't enough for some people to move on. UND should probably just halt everything for another decade and see if they'll come around and accept reality that it's just a nickname and logo, not a deity. Life is full of changes, it is what it is.

The sky is blue, winters suck in North Dakota, Trump is President, and the Fighting Hawks name is here to stay.  Time to accept reality.  If that is too much for you to handle, find your nearest safe space where you can make up your own reality.  Maybe someday you can come out and be ready to live in the real world.  End rant.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

The sky is blue, winters suck in North Dakota, Trump is President, and the Fighting Hawks name is here to stay.  Time to accept reality.  Ig that is too much for you to handle, find your nearest safe space where you can make up your own reality.  Maybe someday you can come out and be ready to live in the real world.  End rant.  

Yeah, tell them this. I'm sure it'll work... :silly:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

You can't be surprised that people haven't accepted a nickname that was never anyone's first choice...better make that a decade and a half. :)

• Like 1