SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

I believe the majority of fans, and it IS a super majority of fans, are stymied about the entire process from start to finish and the end result is a terminal hatred of the... end result.

Never hold onto a bad decision just because you spent so much time making it.

All of this would have been best served to cut the head (kinda literally) off the jersey right away. Then have the School president and Governor and the Athletic Director meet to decide a new route, immediately. 

That would have been quick, and succinct.

That didn't happen, I hate the name and logo not just because of the pathetic nature of what it is, or the pathetic nature of constant misinformation to support it,  but more so the process in which it was churned out. 

I do not want the University to continue to use the failed process, and myself and many others will never support it. Ever.

I know very few people if any that believe the Sioux logo is ever coming back, or even advocating that. Can't think of one in fact, wish it could but its not, have never said that's what we advocate for.

I just want a better effort and a better result from a better process instituted by better leadership.

THAT IS NOT HAPPENING and the bad processes continue to churn, that's not something I will ever support.  Not ever.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I believe the majority of fans, and it IS a super majority of fans, are stymied about the entire process from start to finish and the end result is a terminal hatred of the... end result.

All of this would have been best served to cut the head (kinda literally) off the jersey right away. Then have the School president and Governor and the Athletic Director meet to decide a new route, immediately. 

That didn't happen, I hate the name and logo not just because of the pathetic nature of what it is, or the pathetic nature of constant misinformation to support it,  but more so the process in which it was churned out. 

I do not want the University to continue to use the failed process, and myself and many others will never support it. Ever.

I know very few people if any that believe the Sioux logo is ever coming back, or even advocating that. Can't think of one in fact, wish it could but its not, have never said that's what we advocate for.

I just want a better effort and a better result from a better process instituted by better leadership.

THAT IS NOT HAPPENING and the bad processes continue to churn, that's not something I will ever support.  Not ever.

Did you suggest the two nicknames during the process?

14 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Lighten up, Hillbilly.  It's a @W*()$& nickname of a college and your precious Indian version isn't coming back.  

Wow son,

You got some issues, not sure where the jealous rage and hatred form the past is coming from but I hope you find the help you need.

Have a Siouxper day.

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Did you suggest the two nicknames during the process?

Yes I did, 

I was in the Nodak camp, which wasn't that great and...

I think I threw out something that was tossed in the first cut as it was a representative of what I thought of the process, extremely pathetic.  I honestly can't remember it.

I was of the true belief that the rule of being representative of North Dakota was a standard that would be adhered to.

• Upvote 1

I even think it would have been better for the marketing department to come out next year with a mascot and just blast it out there at the football games, screw the committees just make a decision.

I hate that we are teaching a generation of students that leadership and decision making is a community process. It is not. 

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

So your frustration is with the state leadership/legislature than? 

19 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I got it, makes sense.  What would the options be for UND?  

At the risk of repeating myself (again):  It is not a logo, or more importantly name, befitting the state's flagship university.  I suggest the powers-that-be change the name to "Fighting Scouts" with a Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery themed logo(s).  "Fighting" is particularly appropriate in this case since the expedition was comprised of members of the US Army.  "Corps of Discovery" should also be used as secondary marking (on signage, uniforms, publications, merchandise, etc.).  This would be much more relevant to the state, as they spent more time in what would become North Dakota than in what would become any other state, and much more marketable.  Fun fact - the ND state highways that runs along the east and west sides of the Missouri River are designated "1804" and "1806", respectively, to commemorate the years Lewis and Clark went up the Missouri and came back on their return.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, homer said:

So your frustration is with the state leadership/legislature than? 

in NO way can this mess be passed of on the legislature. 

The political posturing complicated things .....

but this atrocity and the process that created it is 100% owned and bred from poor leadership at the University of North Dakota and its not just the single Presidents but a culture of poor decision making.

So i take issue with the symbol of failure and mediocrity that is the FnHawks name and logo. That's what it will always mean to me and a large portion of the fan base and alumni. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

but this atrocity and the process that created it is 100% owned and bred from poor leadership at the University of North Dakota and its not just the single Presidents but a culture of poor decision making.

So i take issue with the symbol of failure and mediocrity that is the FnHawks name and logo. That's what it will always mean to me and a large portion of the fan base and alumni. 

So does your anger towards the name, logo, school, grow every year there is a Hawk on a jersey, a Hawk on a building, a Hawk on a shirt, and a soon to be Hawk dancing for kids in the crowd. Better see a doctor soon, cause your anger will kill you in the near future as the Hawks name and logo is there to stay. 

1 hour ago, DamStrait said:

At the risk of repeating myself (again):  It is not a logo, or more importantly name, befitting the state's flagship university.  I suggest the powers-that-be change the name to "Fighting Scouts" with a Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery themed logo(s).  "Fighting" is particularly appropriate in this case since the expedition was comprised of members of the US Army.  "Corps of Discovery" should also be used as secondary marking (on signage, uniforms, publications, merchandise, etc.).  This would be much more relevant to the state, as they spent more time in what would become North Dakota than in what would become any other state, and much more marketable.  Fun fact - the ND state highways that runs along the east and west sides of the Missouri River are designated "1804" and "1806", respectively, to commemorate the years Lewis and Clark went up the Missouri and came back on their return.

Can we get over adding the word "Fighting" to every potential name?  It's just a weak attempt to hold onto something that's gone.  Both Hawks and Scouts sound better without it. 

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The NCAA have anything to do with it?  Didn't think so, cuz.

20 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

My point is that it has been almost 6 years since the statewide vote to retire the Fighting Sioux name.  The #siouxforever crowd wants to be coddled to and be treated with extra caution as to not offend them because they are not yet done with the grieving process.  I think its pathetic.  My comparison is that people get over deaths in the family quicker than people are getting over the loss of the Sioux name.  It literally is a nickname of a college.  That's it.  There are much more important things to be pissed off at the world about.  

You can quantify it all you want and it won't change a thing. Again, all your opinions. Until we all quit the whining and name calling ON BOTH SIDES, it's never going to get better. Just understand that it's not going to happen the way you want it and get over it. Time will heal all wounds and you just have to accept that.

20 hours ago, homer said:

I agree and the same argument could be made the other way   

What’s it to others how some alumni choose to work with the foundation and spend their money/donations?   Someone wanted to give $35,000 for a mascot costume and it’s suddenly a conspiracy  to accelerate the change   

I think the issue for me is the fact that it's $35,000 for a Halloween costume :D

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You can quantify it all you want and it won't change a thing. Again, all your opinions. Until we all quit the whining and name calling ON BOTH SIDES, it's never going to get better. Just understand that it's not going to happen the way you want it and get over it. Time will heal all wounds and you just have to accept that.

"wounds"....lmfao.  (not directed at you)

Its a f'n nickname.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In the end, the University retired a nickname and logo.  It is something that we all need to adjust to, but it is certainly not something that we need to heal from.  We can remember and hornor the Fighting Sioux name, but it's not something that needs to me mourned that will take time to heal from.  I am not trying to take anything away from the Fighting Sioux name and what it meant to people and what it represented.  But in the end, its just a nickname and a logo. 

29 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The thing is, one group has moved on with the University, tired of the watching time and resources being wasted on a fight that was lost long before it was over (but as previously stated, no concerns on the money spent there!) while the other group continues to live in the past, holding onto to an inanimate object with continued negative objections to any change, which do nothing but harm UND.

I don't care if people  don't like the name and logo, but the need to publicly proclaim it at every chance is ridiculous. The constant negative reactions on social media or at events is a tiresome act that does nothing but shed a negative light on the school we are all supposed to be supporting. Because that is what is actually (supposed to be) about, the University and student-athletes, not the logo or nickname on the jerseys or scoreboard. That's the issue some people can't seem to figure out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In the end, the University retired a nickname and logo.  It is something that we all need to adjust to, but it is certainly not something that we need to heal from.  We can remember and hornor the Fighting Sioux name, but it's not something that needs to me mourned that will take time to heal from.  I am not trying to take anything away from the Fighting Sioux name and what it meant to people and what it represented.  But in the end, its just a nickname and a logo. 

Again, by telling someone how they should feel about something, you aren't helping. Do it your way and they'll do theirs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The legislature passing a law for a “cool down” period helped nothing.  It made things worse.  

You argued that you wanted the school to move quickly but they couldn’t.  That was the start on the gong show but in reality the legislature does share some blame.  

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, by telling someone how they should feel about something, you aren't helping. Do it your way and they'll do theirs.

I don't think anyone has issues with how people feel, it's how the are acting because of that feeling.

If that feeling doesn't cause them to act in a way that doesn't put UND in a negative light, that's fine. The way it's being done now is not meeting that objective. 

• Upvote 1