SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

NICKEL TROPHY
The historic Nickel Trophy will be displayed out at tailgating and in game on the concourse of the Alerus Center during the first three home football games. Fans will have the opportunity to view and take pictures with the notable heirloom from North Dakota's history.

The nickel better have a guard. I sense a thread brewing over on bisonville about how to steal it lol.

23 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I am not in favor of the nickel trophy thing that we are doing this year.

Agreed!  I enjoy and cherish our history as much as the next guy...but it rings kind of hollow to me to see UND parade it around while our opponent in that annual game has won 6 National Championships (and likely counting) in that timeframe...

Didn't the ND State Senate rule UND had to donate it to the Heritage Center in Bismarck if they decided not to play for it?  I am guessing the timeframe for when that will have to happen is coming soon, so UND is taking advantage of that by showcasing at their events.  Can blame them.  How many people will see it when it goes to Bismarck?  Not that many.  I have no problem with them displaying this important part of UND football history one more time.

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Didn't the ND State Senate rule UND had to donate it to the Heritage Center in Bismarck if they decided not to play for it?  I am guessing the timeframe for when that will have to happen is coming soon, so UND is taking advantage of that by showcasing at their events.  Can blame them.  How many people will see it when it goes to Bismarck?  Not that many.  I have no problem with them displaying this important part of UND football history one more time.

Yes, but technically the Nickel doesn't belong to UND and only the state board of higher education can really tell UND to do something like that. Also, UND can simply claim it's considering playing for the Nickel once the home-home conference series restarts and then just hope the legislature forgets.

18 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Agreed!  I enjoy and cherish our history as much as the next guy...but it rings kind of hollow to me to see UND parade it around while our opponent in that annual game has won 6 National Championships (and likely counting) in that timeframe...

Yet it still pisses them off so it’s fine by me.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, ND1 said:

Midco does a great job!!  I wonder if any other FCS teams have this type of exposure? 

It’s a great series thus far! They do great with it and need to keep it going. I like it so much I wish It had its own time slot for tv programming. Also it could be a bit longer, but I’m just being particular because it’s such a good source of exposure for UND football.

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s a great series thus far! They do great with it and need to keep it going. I like it so much I wish It had its own time slot for tv programming. Also it could be a longer, but I’m just being particular because it’s such a good source of exposure for UND football.

Maybe it’ll be longer during the season? Should be with game highlights.

Nickel or not ....just looking for a massive improvement this year.  

Getting ramped up for Thursday.....hoping/wishing 12000 + or more will be actively involved and attending 

Last year was unfortunately a rewind to the pathetic muss years and an anomaly to Bubbas..... I hope   Time to prove it   

Will be watching the special teams and the offensive play calling the most.   This game should be a blowout....hopeful to see many faces rotated in. 

As far as I’m concerned ....there is simply no better season then football season. Sends an adrenaline wave throughout my body.    Can’t wait for the shoulder pads to start cracking   

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UND08 said:

Yeah why be proud of anything as we will never be as winning as NDSU....

look at the Ohio State v. Michigan rivalry. It doesn’t matter who finishes better each year in the rankings. What matters to them is who won the big game each year. That’s how the prestigious top rivalries are. 

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yet it still pisses them off so it’s fine by me.

They don't care at all. No seriously. You can tell by the numerous posts on various social media platforms and message boards stating how much they don't care....

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Nickel or not ....just looking for a massive improvement this year.  

Getting ramped up for Thursday.....hoping/wishing 12000 + or more will be actively involved and attending 

Last year was unfortunately a rewind to the pathetic muss years and an anomaly to Bubbas..... I hope   Time to prove it   

Will be watching the special teams and the offensive play calling the most.   This game should be a blowout....hopeful to see many faces rotated in. 

As far as I’m concerned ....there is simply no better season then football season. Sends an adrenaline wave throughout my body.    Can’t wait for the shoulder pads to start cracking   

I don't know if anyone has clarified something on the 4 games rule.  Anyone who hasn't taken a red shirt can play in any 4 games and still 'red shirt'.  Last year under this rule could have been a 'red shirt' year for Holm, I think he played in 4 games, last game was spread out from the others.

On Thursday UND can play a lot of true freshman, then likely sit them out and save them in case they need to fill in during the year.  Jon and Brady could 'red shirt' if they only play in 4 games or less.  Very wild stuff.

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I don't know if anyone has clarified something on the 4 games rule.  Anyone who hasn't taken a red shirt can play in any 4 games and still 'red shirt'.  Last year under this rule could have been a 'red shirt' year for Holm, I think he played in 4 games, last game was spread out from the others.

On Thursday UND can play a lot of true freshman, then likely sit them out and save them in case they need to fill in during the year.  Jon and Brady could 'red shirt' if they only play in 4 games or less.  Very wild stuff.

The four game rule is without a doubt a positive.  For the coaches it could be bit tricky this year, as it is new, on deciding when to use it but I’m quite certain the they will find it beneficial.  Trial and error year.  Being the team can only bring 60 players on the road this rule applies more directly (potentially) to home games. Will be interesting to see how the coaches choose to use it, if at all. 

Just for fun - Attempts and YPC added in

1. Dom Bragalone, Lehigh: 3,567 - 707 carries, 5.5 YPC
2. John Santiago, North Dakota: 3,159 - 525 carries, 6.0 YPC
3. Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly: 2,461 - 498 carries, 4.9 YPC
4. Tucker Yinger, Dayton: 2,417 - 420 carries, 5.8 YPC
5. A.J. Hines, Duquesne: 2,386 - 424 carries, 5.5 YPC (in 2 seasons)

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

365 days ago we were getting ready for the SD game. Ranked - 10th and 23rd, respectively. Lots of high hopes on this board with little acknowledgement/awareness of deficiencies in our dept chart.

Since Vermilion, is it possible that the coaches knew the players' capabilities better than us posters? And therefore, the play calling has been such at to the strengths/weaknesses of our team on the field, where the team often consisted of many 2 and 3 deep players? The last two games showed many strengths, and yet, again some not so much. Overall, potential to do well this season.

Today we are getting ready for a # 5 ranked Sam Houston State game in Huntsville in a very important game as an independent. We will have talented players on the field were a win is possible. This game will tell us a lot about our coaches. I'm very optimistic that our coaches will make good decisions with some new twists and the players will execute.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

365 days ago we were getting ready for the SD game. Ranked - 10th and 23rd, respectively. Lots of high hopes on this board with little acknowledgement/awareness of deficiencies in our dept chart.

Since Vermilion, is it possible that the coaches knew the players' capabilities better than us posters? And therefore, the play calling has been such at to the strengths/weaknesses of our team on the field, where the team often consisted of many 2 and 3 deep players? The last two games showed many strengths, and yet, again some not so much. Overall, potential to do well this season.

Today we are getting ready for a # 5 ranked Sam Houston State game in Huntsville in a very important game as an independent. We will have talented players on the field were a win is possible. This game will tell us a lot about our coaches. I'm very optimistic that our coaches will make good decisions with some new twists and the players will execute.

Thunderstorms woke me up. So I eventually got out of bed to eat some cheese and crackers with smoked oysters and have a drink of whiskey. 

Glad I did. This post was worth getting up for.