SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

40 minutes ago, ND1 said:

http://gomid.co/DayByDayE1

Midco Sports newly launched Day by Day series...very good!!

First clip is pretty funny.  Corby Richman pancakes Rudolph haha.  Didn't realize that he switched to fullback.  Didn't he start last year one game or was he just on the two deep at one point?  Just goes to show how thin we were last year at linebacker.  And as much as I rip on Rudolph, he does seem like a pretty awesome person, would love to see him figure it out.  Hopefully he just didn't trust Studsrud's arm and he can open it up this year.

After that NAU game Keaton earned my all time respect. Great game manager and in my opinion we didn’t use him right. Yeah he couldn’t throw the long ball accurately so why not throw to our tight ends or work some screen passes in? With Rudy doesn’t seem like he ever adjusts his game plan. Yeah two years ago our offense was top in the league but other DCs change and adjusted while we sat and ran the same old thing over and over and over. Never seems to adjust anything. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, LeaveNoDoubt said:

After that NAU game Keaton earned my all time respect. Great game manager and in my opinion we didn’t use him right. Yeah he couldn’t throw the long ball accurately so why not throw to our tight ends or work some screen passes in? With Rudy doesn’t seem like he ever adjusts his game plan. Yeah two years ago our offense was top in the league but other DCs change and adjusted while we sat and ran the same old thing over and over and over. Never seems to adjust anything. 

Last year there was lots of times we needed our TEs in to help pass protect.   

And when the TEs go for routes is it not on the QB to find them?   Studs was a great person, better at his position than I ever was at mine but he didn’t check off his presnap reads to often.  He didn’t always have time.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LeaveNoDoubt said:

I have tons of respect for Keaton, but he didn't throw screen passes all that well either.  I think you're still right, though.

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

Keaton played his tail off every week. He didn't have a dominant OL and the receivers, while serviceable didn't strike fear in opposing DBs. Keaton protected the ball, kept plays alive, and was a threat with his legs. More importantly, he had heart to go with ability and his teammates respected his leadership on and off the field. I can only recall one game where he just appeared to be out of sync, but that happens at all levels.

Well said.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 7:13 AM, geaux_sioux said:

I’m not the one asking, I don’t care.

Also, leaving young cbs on an island over and over again is indefensible in my opinion.

There are times when depending on the opposing receiver's ability, you need to roll coverage or double cover a guy. But, any DB worth his salt wants to be on an island. Playing CB is the second toughest job, behind QB; the good ones embrace the challenge. Mistakes are on full  display and usually lead to TDs. You are front and center stage at all times. But the coaches should give the CBs the tools to handle being on and thriving on that island. The problem has been just that, our guys are not equipped to be on an island mentally or physically. You gotta have that dawg  in you and the technique to play corner, and the scheme has to be conducive to being successful.

It's a bit of a myth to say that you need coaching or playing experience to comment on the coaching of a sport. Sure it certainly helps, but some of the best analysts never played their respective sport beyond high school.

Playing, analyzing and coaching all require different skill sets. Now some of those skills may overlap, so it helps to have first hand experience, but by no means is it required. 

That being said Joe Buck is an exception to this as he lacks the skill sets for all three careers. I cringe everytime he speaks. Luckily it is very unlikely he will ever announce a UND game. 

14 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

Keaton played his tail off every week. He didn't have a dominant OL and the receivers, while serviceable didn't strike fear in opposing DBs. Keaton protected the ball, kept plays alive, and was a threat with his legs. More importantly, he had heart to go with ability and his teammates respected his leadership on and off the field. I can only recall one game where he just appeared to be out of sync, but that happens at all levels.

Studsrud was an average QB, even relative to FCS competition. With that said, I think the UND offensive system could’ve better fit his skill sets. Nevertheless, he certainly had certain intangibles which I think gets people biased emotionally.

From an X’s and O’s and ability standpoint, Studsrud was not all-conference caliber. His arm strength and accuracy were both limited and his reads were at times poor. His toughness and ability to move were positives, but let’s not talk Studsrud into something he was not on here. 

23 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Keaton Studsrud was tough as $h!t and one helluva leader.

Kind of guy you want all your players (and off the field as men) to be like.

Love that kid.

Agreed.  He wasn't an all-conference quarterback by any means, but was a leader and like you said, tougher than hell.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Studsrud was an average QB, even relative to FCS competition. With that said, I think the UND offensive system could’ve better fit his skill sets. Nevertheless, he certainly had certain intangibles which I think gets people biased emotionally.

From an X’s and O’s and ability standpoint, Studsrud was not all-conference caliber. His arm strength and accuracy were both limited and his reads were at times poor. His toughness and ability to move were positives, but let’s not talk Studsrud into something he was not on here. 

Let's see. The kid was handed the keys to the car as a sophomore. Came within one win of leading to the team to the playoffs in 2015 (actually should have been in the playoffs that year with a 7-4 record) beat Wyoming on the road for FBS win (he had a key long TD run in that game), led the the team to a share of the Big Sky title in 2016, and a playoff birth. Very low interception rate, played hurt, led comeback from behind win against NAU. If he's considered "average", I hope the QBs that succeed him are "average" too. He may not have been named all-conference but he was a pretty damn good college football player at UND. I don't speak from emotion, his resume is solid. #Facts.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Let's see. The kid was handed the keys to the car as a sophomore. Came within one win of leading to the team to the playoffs in 2015 (actually should have been in the playoffs that year with a 7-4 record) beat Wyoming on the road for FBS win (he had a key long TD run in that game), led the the team to a share of the Big Sky title in 2016, and a playoff birth. Very low interception rate, played hurt, led comeback from behind win against NAU. If he's considered "average", I hope the QBs that succeed him are "average" too. He may not have been named all-conference but he was a pretty damn good college football player at UND. I don't speak from emotion, his resume is solid. #Facts.

Lots of good qualities. He also missed wide open receivers multiple times when he wasn’t pressured. Overall good but don’t dismiss shortcomings either.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Lots of good qualities. He also missed wide open receivers multiple times when he wasn’t pressured. Overall good but don’t dismiss shortcomings either.

A great competitor and teammate who gave his all.  But let's be honest about his QB skills - had trouble with the long ball, tended to lock on a receiver instead of reading the progression, and had a terrible time with a simple screen pass.  We seriously need a better arm at QB in order to win, especially with Mr. Double Reverse calling the plays.  Bubba has done a poor job so far developing QB's (and even being able to recognize who is capable of playing QB as shown last season).  Hopefully the competition this year will lead to some increased skills. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

He also had dropped balls, missed blocking assignments to deal with, and play calling that left a lot to be desired. No one said he was flawless. But, he had way more positives than negatives by far.

10 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

The kid was handed the keys to the car as a sophomore. Came within one win of leading to the team to the playoffs in 2015 (actually should have been in the playoffs that year with a 7-4 record) beat Wyoming on the road for FBS win (he had a key long TD run in that game), led the the team to a share of the Big Sky title in 2016, and a playoff birth

Holy smokes!  I didn’t even know the team was pregnant!

• Upvote 4

On 8/17/2018 at 10:32 PM, Old School Guy said:

Keaton was a competitor ..no one can deny that.  As something that I’ve been saying for four years though is that Rudy failed to use Keatons on field abilities....along with anyone else’s abilities.  Rudy cannot take advantage of his players skills.  Who would put a mastiff in race vs greyhounds even if they had greyhounds?   Rudy would.....”because that’s the way it’s going to be!! That’s our style no matter ....no change” !!  

Why cant Rudy make a go with the OL?  He’s had now five years to build it to the way the want to play.  Maybe this is where he wants his greyhounds to be ?   

Part of the reason Keaton's abilities weren't used to the max was because there wasn't anyone behind him ready to step in, which we saw in full effect when he did go out. Letting him roll out or run more just wasn't the smart thing to do. Obviously that leads to a debate about recruiting, but it is what it is.