SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

And there it is...  Figured someone would respond with this lazy argument.  Why not contribute to the discussion by articulating why you think their strategy is wrong?  Obviously everyone here was wrong last year, when they were criticizing Rudolph for starting Heidlebaugh in the Montana game, right?  Oh wait.... Rudolph had to pull him, play Zimmerman the second half, and later switch Heidlebaugh to wide reciever!  I wonder how Rudolph could have made that mistake when he, after all, is the Offensive Coordinator and understands personnel and scheme so much better than us simpletons...

"The courtier's reply is an alleged type of logical fallacy, coined by American biologist PZ Myers, in which a respondent to criticism claims that the critic lacks sufficient knowledge, credentials, or training to pose any sort of criticism whatsoever.[1] It may be considered a form of argument from authority."

"A key element of a courtier's reply, which distinguishes it from an otherwise valid response that incidentally points out the critic's lack of established authority on the topic, is that the respondent never shows how the work of these overlooked experts invalidates the arguments that were advanced by the critic."

For the people that defend Rudy I would like to hear what they think he brings to the table.  What are the positives that they see in his offensive philosophy?  Are they generally happy with what they have witnessed over the last 4 years?   Do they think he’s capable of making the correct or for that matter any adjustments at all?   Do they feel he has a different game plan accordingly to who the opponent is and their weaknesses?  Do they like the fact the TEs are nearly invisible?   Do they think he uses the strengths of his players?   Do they in all honesty feel comfortable in the offense to get the points needed if und is down by two scores?  Do they feel he’s a good evaluator?    Some of the questions I have for them 

7 hours ago, green_sioux said:

Some amazing football minds on here.   Why don't some of you include a little bio on your college football playing career and your college coaching career while you're at it?   Why are you simply posting on a message board when its obvious to everyone you "get" things our coaches don't?     You obviously understand personnel and scheme so much better than our coaches do.  Get off your computer\phone and go down and talk to Bubba and get things straightened out.  Please offer your expertise, you guys can be the difference in turning us in a dynasty.!!! We need you.

So where’d you play and where’d you coach?

54 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

For the people that defend Rudy I would like to hear what they think he brings to the table.  What are the positives that they see in his offensive philosophy?  Are they generally happy with what they have witnessed over the last 4 years?   Do they think he’s capable of making the correct or for that matter any adjustments at all?   Do they feel he has a different game plan accordingly to who the opponent is and their weaknesses?  Do they like the fact the TEs are nearly invisible?   Do they think he uses the strengths of his players?   Do they in all honesty feel comfortable in the offense to get the points needed if und is down by two scores?  Do they feel he’s a good evaluator?    Some of the questions I have for them 

Honestly who has been defending him recently? I defended him the first two years because I understood the rebuild. I started to sour on him our Big Sky title season. Then I really soured on him last year. I’m not sure anyone is still defending him at this point.

I was ticked at lots of play calls last year and blamed Rudy for it. By the same token, I agree that the QB was not gonna win with his arm or feet and the OL didn't allow him to use either.

And I know the D was decimated by injuries, but the team gave up over 30 points a game and NO ONE talks about Schmidt.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, shep said:

I was ticked at lots of play calls last year and blamed Rudy for it. By the same token, I agree that the QB was not gonna win with his arm or feet and the OL didn't allow him to use either.

And I know the D was decimated by injuries, but the team gave up over 30 points a game and NO ONE talks about Schmidt.

But I really think Zimmie could have been successful last year given the right play alignment.    He has the tools,  just needed better plays and a better line so he wasn't running for his life at times.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Honestly who has been defending him recently? I defended him the first two years because I understood the rebuild. I started to sour on him our Big Sky title season. Then I really soured on him last year. I’m not sure anyone is still defending him at this point.

It seems that there is those occasional few that pipe up every once in awhile.   My question then is......what the hell does bubba see that the majority of UND fans and quite a few opposing play by play announcers don’t.   Is he that blinded with loyalty that he’s willing to go down with the ship rather then making a change!?!   Wow!   

1 hour ago, shep said:

The D is and always will be unds strength under this coaching staff. Like you said the injuries decimated the D namely the ILB crew and took out two senior all American pro hopefuls in the secondary.  It also exposed unds lack of “quality” depth at certain positions. It was a complete mess for sure and quite certain an anomaly.  They will be back this year....guaranteed!  

The offense on the other hand ....well ....I’ve stated for four years my disdain.   Santiago has digressed each year as opposing teams DCs realized what Rudy ball is.    The honeymoon year and 2nd year..... teams were still figuring out what und was all about.   They know now.  Easy to defend. 

2 hours ago, shep said:

Actually a couple people did at times last year.  But really, you can't even compare Schmidt and Rudy.  Schmidt turned Mussman's defense around in a single year!  We went from about worst to first!  Sure Schmidt maybe could have done things differently last year, but when your leading tackler last year will barely see the field this year because that is how far down the chart he is in a normal health wise situation .....what do you expect. Our defense sucked last year, that is a fact.  However i'm not sure Dick LeBeau could have done much with our defense last year given the guys available.   I'm confident we will have a pretty stiff defense this year. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, homer said:

I watched an offense two and theee years ago that when they executed a vanilla offense look really good (until a double reverse).

So, which team/program were you watching? I can say with full confidence that UND's offense has never been anything above average during Bubba's tenure; certainly not "really good". Against above average football teams, UND has consistently been unable to make big plays or out-scheme the opponent.

Examples: 2014 Montana, 2014 EWU, 2015 NDSU, 2016 did not play a single team with a decent defense other than Stony Brook, 2017 we all know. 

The wins under Bubba have consisted of wins versus below average teams with a few good wins coming because of UND's defense, certainly not the offense. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So, which team/program were you watching? I can say with full confidence that UND's offense has never been anything above average during Bubba's tenure; certainly not "really good". Against above average football teams, UND has consistently been unable to make big plays or out-scheme the opponent.

Examples: 2014 Montana, 2014 EWU, 2015 NDSU, 2016 did not play a single team with a decent defense other than Stony Brook, 2017 we all know. 

The wins under Bubba have consisted of wins versus below average teams with a few good wins coming because of UND's defense, certainly not the offense. 

If the opposing team has an average to decent D the DCs would have to watch maybe two games of unds O to “get it” and damper most anything und tries. Against und , the safeties are just 2 extra LBs.  Since und doesn’t use its TEs and the WRs are unable to get separation, allowing the CBs to man up....the safeties essentially become LBs and hug the scrimmage.   No way unds o line has a chance to block that many bodies.  

So far in Rudy ball.....und stuck with a qb that couldn’t throw and was mostly injured , WRs that can’t get separation, TEs not used, powering up the gut with a 175 lb against essentially a 9 man front.   No game plan.   No in game adjustments.  Not able or willing  to use the strength of his players. 

I have a 4-7 prediction for this year maybe 5-6 with a sac st win but I solely lay at least 3-4 losses on Rudy. No question. The talent is there to be better then what they will show.   There is nothing the suggests he is capable of running a competent offense and for the life of me I don’t understand what  bubba sees that warrants Rudy being a D1 OC. 

With what I believe could be a very good year....my pessimism is at full throttle and it starts with Rudy and ends with Rudy.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don't have as much time to look at the schedule but going off memory I would go back to the last three (maybe 4) games of 2015 and maybe around the same of 2016.  Even in the playoff game vs. Richmond, up until the double reverse the offense didn't look bad.  

The games you mentioned I have no idea.  2014 I have no idea who our QBs were at the time but Kyle Norberg was a running back and we likely didn't have a lot of weapons for a QB to throw to.  2015 vs. NDSU I really feel the coaches played not to get blown out.  I don't care who we threw out there we weren't beating them that year.  The offense didn't really start playing well anyhow until changes were made up front, Grady started playing more and guys like Michael Coe adjusted to FCS vs. DII.

I've already covered last year and stated our O-line wasn't very good and our QB was a very good game manager but didn't have the arm strength or consistent accuracy to throw the ball around 50 times a game.  I would have liked to see more hurry up because he seemed to play better at that tempo but at the end of the day we had 3 freshmen or sophomores starting on the o-line and a carousel at right tackle.  Not set up good for success.  

So to answer your question I was watching the same team/games you were.  Where I disagree is that while we have maybe had average talent at certain positions during Bubba's time there have been times that they have strung 3 or 4 good games together.  They have also battled injuries at QB during these years as well and didn't have great depth behind it.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, homer said:

2015 vs. NDSU I really feel the coaches played not to get blown out.  I don't care who we threw out there we weren't beating them that year.  

Where I disagree is that while we have maybe had average talent at certain positions during Bubba's time there have been times that they have strung 3 or 4 good games together.  They have also battled injuries at QB during these years as well and didn't have great depth behind it.

UND’s offense was pathetic against NDSU; no hint of aggression or creativity. If you want UND to approach games like that as you described, then UND will be a perennial laughing stock against top FCS teams. That was a joke and expectations need adjusting there. We’ll see how it goes the next time around (2019). 

Those 3 to 4 game stretches you describe were against average to below average teams. I’m not worried when UND has better talent, it’s when the opponent’s talent is equal or even better. Studsrud was consistently UND’s starting QB from 2015 to 2017. He played the final four games of 2014. 

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

So where’d you play and where’d you coach?

I'm not the one repeatedly saying  I know or get things our coaches don't.   I just said many people posting here do have that ability and asked them to step up.  Simple request.  A little sensitive are we?

But, OVC and the NCC

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND’s offense was pathetic against NDSU; no hint of aggression or creativity. If you want UND to approach games like that as you described, then UND will be a perennial laughing stock against top FCS teams. That was a joke and expectations need adjusting there. We’ll see how it goes the next time around (2019). 

Those 3 to 4 game stretches you describe were against average to below average teams. I’m not worried when UND has better talent, it’s when the opponent’s talent is equal or even better. Studsrud was consistently UND’s starting QB from 2015 to 2017. He played the final four games of 2014.  

Were in my post did I even hint that I wanted UNDs offense to approach games like they did vs. NDSU?  Please point it out for me.

35 minutes ago, green_sioux said:

I'm not the one repeatedly saying  I know or get things our coaches don't.   I just said many people posting here do have that ability and asked them to step up.  Simple request.  A little sensitive are we?

But, OVC and the NCC

There are a few posters on here who when they said “I know” that means it might as well be Bubba posting it.