SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Gophers - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

I was so pumped up for this game.  We came out and just rolled them the first 10.  As a whole, we carried the play.  They make one really good rush and score, and then a guy makes a perfect shot.  Meanwhile, we throw everything we can at them and cant put it in.  Jeez.   Talk about frustrating.

I think there was interesting difference in approach.  I think berry had the boys all jacked up.  I think Lucia made a point of it not being a big deal.  End of the day, we lose, and now absolutely have to win tomorrow from a PWR perspective.  

Just frustrating when we carry the play and lose.

17 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I was so pumped up for this game.  We came out and just rolled them the first 10.  As a whole, we carried the play.  They make one really good rush and score, and then a guy makes a perfect shot.  Meanwhile, we throw everything we can at them and cant put it in.  Jeez.   Talk about frustrating.

I think there was interesting difference in approach.  I think berry had the boys all jacked up.  I think Lucia made a point of it not being a big deal.  End of the day, we lose, and now absolutely have to win tomorrow from a PWR perspective.  

Just frustrating when we carry the play and lose.

Think of the last four time's they've played the gophers.....3 of the 4 games have been stolen by the Minnesota goaltender.....frustrating as hell.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DAR said:

Dont blame the goalie.  This team lacks finishers.  Jost should be on the team.  Rhett Gardner should be a third line center not top line.  He is a checking line player 

I pretty much agree on your sentiments on Gardner, though I’m curious who you’d put as top line center in his place? 

3 hours ago, DAR said:

There is no one else...hence the problem.  

Bingo.  It's not a slam on the players, UND is full of hard working solid to good players.  There just might not be any really good to great players this year.  4 of 5 games now (against mediocre teams) where scoring is a real issue.  Starting to look like a trend.    

this squad put up a very good effort against a talented team, and they could have won with a bounce or two.   We knew they would have to win with hustle and team contribution, and that's just what we saw.    Given who is on the roster, I was pleased.   A  of hockey ahead.   Real anxious to see if we can carry this much play against Cloud and Denver.  And score, of course.    

6 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I pretty much agree on your sentiments on Gardner, though I’m curious who you’d put as top line center in his place? 

Bowen.......'nuf said. Easily a better 2 way pivot.

Jost should be this team's top line centerman. He left too soon. Yesterday it was reported he is out 2-3 weeks with a lower body injury. He is too young and too physically immature to take on the NHL grind. He's been dinged up since he hit the NHL........just like he was last year at UND.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Think of the last four time's they've played the gophers.....3 of the 4 games have been stolen by the Minnesota goaltender.....frustrating as hell.  

THIS! ^^^

He was great last night but the LSSU goalie made 63 saves last night vs DU!

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

BTW.....let's give some credit where it's due. The Gophs blocked 29 shots last night. There were whole prior season when they didn't block that many shots!

It’s frustrating to continue losing to a BIG school.  They (fans and team) think they’re superior because they’re from a major city and major university.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Irish said:

I thought the overall effort was outstanding, but it doesn't appear we have anyone that can either give a slick set-up or finish.  For me this was a very frustrating game to watch.

True, we do need some guys finish the play. Team played well, but frustrating to watch UND outplay a team and still lose.

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Jones, I really like this kid, he's been awesome on face-offs and he plays hard nosed Sioux hockey!! Of not 1st line centerman then 2nd, and yes, Gardner is a 3rd 4th line grinding centerman.

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Bingo.  It's not a slam on the players, UND is full of hard working solid to good players.  There just might not be any really good to great players this year.  4 of 5 games now (against mediocre teams) where scoring is a real issue.  Starting to look like a trend.    

46 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

BTW.....let's give some credit where it's due. The Gophs blocked 29 shots last night. There were whole prior season when they didn't block that many shots!

The Sioux carried the play last night, the problem in my opinion this year so far is they seem to be on the same step as all the other teams they've played when the need to be a step ahead of them. They wait to long with the puck giving opposition time to get in front of it and I done know what Shaw was doing last night,  the gophers I think where on a line change on the Sioux power play and  instead of skating up with the puck he passes it back to another player behind the net. Too much passing and it's not tape to tape, a lot of passing into the skates last night. This is a ok to good team right that really needs a finisher. I don't know what's going with Poganski and Gersich  but they need to figure it out, they're both non factors right now. Plus side, our penalty kill is Awesome!

I get it-these opposing goalies are too big and too skilled, forcing our guys to aim for the corners but we’re missing the net a lot. Perhaps simply throwing more shots on net and hoping for some rebounds and greasy goals (like our lone goal last night) might be the trick? We’re a “blue collar” team, let’s score like one if we lack the “finishers” who can put pucks in those top corner spaces. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, tnt said:

Of course you're back this weekend.  How did your BU boys do last weekend?

Not advocating a BU approach, but some scorers would be nice.  There is no reason a program like ours can't bring a stud scorer or two every year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Irish said:

Not advocating a BU approach, but some scorers would be nice.  There is no reason a program like ours can't bring a stud scorer or two every year.

Mishmash is a 2nd round draft pick but in no way has shown he can be a top 6 NHL guy at this point.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DAR said:

Dont blame the goalie.  This team lacks finishers.  Jost should be on the team.  Rhett Gardner should be a third line center not top line.  He is a checking line player 

It's no one person's fault but neither of those goals were amazing. He is capable of better and we will need him to play better this year since we don't have a high goal scoring potential.