SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The most accurate poll over the last bunch of years has been the AGS poll. It’s crazy how much more accurate they are than the others. 

20 North Carolina A&T Aggies 527   24
21 Idaho State Bengals 314   14
22 Indiana State Sycamores 233   32
23 Furman Paladins 201   30
24 Incarnate Word Cardinals 174   34
25 Montana State Bobcats 137   38

ORV:      
26 North Dakota Fighting Hawks 131   36
27 Southeast Missouri State Redhawks 130   21
28 Lamar Cardinals 108   31
29 San Diego Toreros 88   35
30 Northern Iowa Panthers 64   18
31 Western Illinois Leathernecks 46   23
32 Montana Grizzlies 42   NR

Just now, UNDBIZ said:
20 North Carolina A&T Aggies 527   24
21 Idaho State Bengals 314   14
22 Indiana State Sycamores 233   32
23 Furman Paladins 201   30
24 Incarnate Word Cardinals 174   34
25 Montana State Bobcats 137   38

ORV:      
26 North Dakota Fighting Hawks 131   36
27 Southeast Missouri State Redhawks 130   21
28 Lamar Cardinals 108   31
29 San Diego Toreros 88   35
30 Northern Iowa Panthers 64   18
31 Western Illinois Leathernecks 46   23
32 Montana Grizzlies 42   NR

Shows how badly we need the Griz to win.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although I believe the committee will see $$ and place Montana in ahead of UND, it looks like we need to root for UND first and foremost, and then Montana and Weber to have a chance. 

Made sure that key, critical detail wasn't lost. 

Let me save you all a ton of time and false hope- they’re not going to give UND a spot...no matter what. 

And I’m honestly okay with that. Yes I’m disappointed with how quickly this strong season turned sour with the snap of a finger but a playoff appearance (and most certainly a bad loss) will only solidify this coaching staff another year of life. It would probably protect any and all of the coaches their positions another season...and yes I would even guess Rudy. 

Not getting a spot will result in a decent chance at some sort of coaching staff shake up and that would get me excited for next season. A playoff appearance and no changes for next season would probably prompt me to cancel my season ticket plans. These players deserve better coaching. Maybe just keep bubba for recruiting 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Let me save you all a ton of time and false hope- they’re not going to give UND a spot...no matter what. 

And I’m honestly okay with that. Yes I’m disappointed with how quickly this strong season turned sour with the snap of a finger but a playoff appearance (and most certainly a bad loss) will only solidify this coaching staff another year of life. It would probably protect any and all of the coaches their positions another season...and yes I would even guess Rudy. 

Not getting a spot will result in a decent chance at some sort of coaching staff shake up and that would get me excited for next season. A playoff appearance and no changes for next season would probably prompt me to cancel my season ticket plans. These players deserve better coaching. Maybe just keep bubba for recruiting 

It seems this is what you want to believe. This is not a fact. Changes should be made regardless of playoffs or not. 

After this past weekend results and a couple results in favor of UND (with a UND win of course) there is a chance we make the playoffs. None of us should be disappointed if we are left out but all we need is a chip and a chair.

8 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

We don’t deserve a spot. But, we still are not completely eliminated. 

• Upvote 3

As we all know, if und is to beat NAU they will be 7-4.  Obviously 6 wins is what it takes.   When the committee breaks down unds schedule they will see a fbs loss to a powerful fbs team...discard that from the loss column....7-3 .  Und filled its entire schedule with all D1 teams which will help as a few fcs teams on the bubble scheduled d2 teams 

The 3 fcs losses (assuming und beats NAU) 

- Idaho st -   Still in contention for playoffs    Lost by 4.  Will the committee see this as a “quality” loss.  50/50

- weber st -  should be a seeded team    Lost by 5   Committee will scratch this one up a “quality loss” as Weber should be seeded.  

- Idaho-   Damnit Idaho teams!!!   Lost by 4     This one will hurt.  If und doesn’t make the playoffs....this game is the reason. Horrible loss is every aspect. 

The 7 wins (currently stands at 6) 

-mvsu.   Horrible win.  Mvsu is the worst of the worst in the fcs and und struggled that game.  But it counts as a d1 win ...take it  

- Sam Houston-  reality is that its ok win.  Beating them at their place looks good but Sam is not playoff bound. Committee will put this down as a nice win however, as Sam carries a big name in the fcs  

- n colo.   und crushed them as they should have .   Not a “great” win by the committees eyes but a powerful win. 

- Montana.   Montana still in playoff contention.   Dominating win for und.  This will be the committees check mark for und

-sac st.   Same as n colo 

-port st    A depressing win.   If the committee comes to nit picking ....they could use this against und for a less than stellar appearance vs a mediocre team this late in the season  

- NAU.  Und needs some style points to try and separate themselves from the other bubble contenders. A blowout in zona would be a start .  Would it be enough??? Who knows  

The committee will see 3 fcs losses , one of which is playoff bound , the other borderline and one bad loss to a team that was fbs last year.  

All three losses were by less than one score  ....that could help und as they were never blown out. They were “in” these games in the committees eyes 

No D2 teams scheduled.   Favors und 

Idaho....no favors!!!  

- Maybe one decent win....no favors

- and the big one ....no conference affiliation.   This will hurt the most as no one will speak up for und.  The committee will have to make an individual effort to read and review numerous credentials about und on their own instead of playing pocket pool and hearing it through  “promoters”.   Plus other conference  “promoters” that will be present will be doing their best to cast votes away from und for the team or teams they are representing.  Having someone at the table during discussion time is a must for a bubble team  

Und needs both Montana to win and Weber ....must wins. 

Not so much a need ....but a Indiana st win would be more preferable as they would have only 6 d1 wins  

Rudy need to be gone before NAU game so that und is able to unleash the talent they have to highest    Style points!  Not keep it close. 

I know every year has different circumstances but when UND was 7-4 with an FBS vistory and had a conference affiliation and didn’t get in, it was pretty clear UND wasn’t a highly respected team. Now 7-4 without either of those after a 3-8 season, I think they have a less than 1% chance of getting in. Even if on paper they probably should , the politics will always keep them out when they’re on the fence. 

I'm thinking the Montana/Montana State game winner will be in the playoffs ahead of us regardless which team wins.  Montana's ability to make cash for the ncaa, and their win over the holy grail of UNI, will somehow count more than UND's head to head win against Montana in this case...they'll get to use the "we had a bad day" excuse for that loss.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I'm thinking the Montana/Montana State game winner will be in the playoffs ahead of us regardless which team wins.  Montana's ability to make cash for the ncaa, and their win over the holy grail of UNI, will somehow count more than UND's head to head win against Montana in this case...they'll get to use the "we had a bad day" excuse for that loss.  

Well I mean they gifted us 41 points and we only gifted them 14. So they're at least just as good as us without the gifts. 

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I know every year has different circumstances but when UND was 7-4 with an FBS vistory and had a conference affiliation and didn’t get in, it was pretty clear UND wasn’t a highly respected team. Now 7-4 without either of those after a 3-8 season, I think they have a less than 1% chance of getting in. Even if on paper they probably should , the politics will always keep them out when they’re on the fence. 

People are saying this is the weakest bubble ever. We have a shot.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

People are saying this is the weakest bubble ever. We have a shot.

There are quite a good number of teams that could finish 7-4 with DII wins.  There are also a number of 6 win teams that aren’t shoe in wins, very much including UND.  I think by kickoff the UND picture will clear.  I’m still sticking by the win and your in however I am not confident we can do that with the offense we put out the last couple weeks.  Need a lot of guys to get healthy and get an edge back. 

3 factors that benefit UND vs other bubble teams:

UNI - common opponent Montana - UNI lost 23-26 and UND crushed

McNeese - common opponent UNC - McNeese  won 17-14 and UND won 38-13

Montana - common opponents Sac State, Portland State, and Idaho.  Both teams were 2 and 1 vs these teams.  Montana's total points spread was 24 against these teams, and UND had a point spread of  28.  Our Idaho loss can be cancelled out by their Portland State loss.  We only beat Portland State by 7, but they only beat Sacramento by 7.  Bottom line, both teams are very similar in terms of performance vs common opponents, but UND crushed them 41-14 head to head.  

• Upvote 1

If the offense can't stay on the field for more than 3 and out, if the defense can't get off the field... the defense will be totally gassed by the 4th quarter at 7,000 feet elevation. Looking at recent history of 3rd quarter offensive performance, the defense is going to have a very rough second half.

My take on the playoffs——in or out there is not much to argue/complain/bitch about. A win on Saturday first along with some other teams helping out & it’s a possibility to get the invite. When you need help at this point of the season you didn’t take care of business over the entire season. This season overall (FCS) has been a clusterf___(or call it parity)outside of NDSU. If playoffs do happen what is the likely opponent & where would the winner of this game be going? My guess would be either SDSU or NDSU. Thoughts or any preferred opponent in the first round if it happens?

Painful to remember how the committee moved the bar depending on which teams they wanted to be able to justify over UND - for some it was quality losses, for others it was strength of schedule, for others it was injured players. On the other hand when the decision to leave UND out was put under the microscope UND and its fans weren't the only ones that were able to see and admit that we got the shaft (except for the Scream Yellow Trolls). 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Stand4Anthem said:

My take on the playoffs——in or out there is not much to argue/complain/bitch about. A win on Saturday first along with some other teams helping out & it’s a possibility to get the invite. When you need help at this point of the season you didn’t take care of business over the entire season. This season overall (FCS) has been a clusterf___(or call it parity)outside of NDSU. If playoffs do happen what is the likely opponent & where would the winner of this game be going? My guess would be either SDSU or NDSU. Thoughts or any preferred opponent in the first round if it happens?

I have seen us playing at Nicholls St. with winner going to Fargo and I have seen us hosting UNI with winner going to Brookings