SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Leaps and Bounds.

I saw a FCS writer use Big Sky vs MVFC head to head as a reason to say MVFC was much stronger. 

Also in a sense im glad SDSU wasn't at 3 or 4 loses so far where the argument of their FBS game being canceled didn't come into reasoning

Just like Dom Izzo who was trying to say if UND won the Big Sky Championship outright in 2016 they still weren't good enough to get a bye.

It's almost like a game in the (social) media to see who can try and control and influence the narrative (voting members) the most.

• Upvote 3

I am looking at all the numbers, and I don't see how even with a win, we get in the playoffs.  Huge factor the committee looks at is strength of schedule.  Looking at just FCS opponents, we have only played 3 teams with a record and have wins against one of those teams. (SHSU is currently 5, so that number could increase by 1 in both stats). Right now the combined record of our opponents is 38-50.  And a win against a then 3-7 NAU (game this week got cancelled) doesn't help us much at all.

Not trying to say there isn't a chance because 7-4 teams get in all the time.  But just saying that our SOS and our lack of wins against teams with a winning record doesn't help us make a strong case for the committee to have us selected in the playoff field.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I am looking at all the numbers, and I don't see how even with a win, we get in the playoffs.  Huge factor the committee looks at is strength of schedule.  Looking at just FCS opponents, we have only played 3 teams with a record and have wins against one of those teams. (SHSU is currently 5, so that number could increase by 1 in both stats). Right now the combined record of our opponents is 38-50.  And a win against a then 3-7 NAU (game this week got cancelled) doesn't help us much at all.

Not trying to say there isn't a chance because 7-4 teams get in all the time.  But just saying that our SOS and our lack of wins against teams with a winning record doesn't help us make a strong case for the committee to have us selected in the playoff field.

You have to look at the rest of the teams as well.  There are a lot of average resumes.

23 minutes ago, Bubbasburner said:

I'd definitely buy in to watch that game. Would be fun to watch you guys get slapped around by a middle of the road MVFC team.

Middle of the road Valley teams won’t make the playoffs this year. Upper echelon Valley teams have 5 wins right now and are hoping to back in to the playoffs after this weekend. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Great, how about the other potential 7-4 teams?  

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Middle of the road Valley teams won’t make the playoffs this year. Upper echelon Valley teams have 5 wins right now and are hoping to back in to the playoffs after this weekend. 

With the way the FCS is shaking up right now, a UNI team with 3 wins against then ranked Valley opponents will get in with 6 wins, i believe. 

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

One will get in. Not two. Too bad mighty WIU couldn’t hang with 3 win USD.

Agreed not 2 6 win Valley teams get in, but I do believe if it comes down to UNI and a 7 win team to get in, UNI has a pretty good resume to not ignore, but it just depends with the 7 win team's resume. Wouldn't even be having this conversation if it weren't for them choking against Montana.

3 minutes ago, Bubbasburner said:

Agreed not 2 6 win Valley teams get in, but I do believe if it comes down to UNI and a 7 win team to get in, UNI has a pretty good resume to not ignore, but it just depends with the 7 win team's resume. Wouldn't even be having this conversation if it weren't for them choking against Montana.

You wouldn’t be here if we hadn’t choked against Idaho and Idaho St. But that no longer matters since it accounts for an L and only and L.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

You wouldn’t be here if we hadn’t choked against Idaho and Idaho St. But that no longer matters since it accounts for an L and only and L.

Well lets be honest you guys haven't beat a quality team all year. You hung your hat on SHSU and they've laid an egg this entire year, and Montana can't even beat middle of the pack big fluffy teams, let alone a middle of the pack MVFC WIU team.

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

As long as we’re being honest; you’re a pot stirring trolling douche. 

I'm simply laying out the facts, but it seems you guys are too focused on getting 7 wins, not even putting into consideration who those 7 wins are against, are any of them going to be playoff teams this year? Montana, MAYBE.

2 minutes ago, Bubbasburner said:

I'm simply laying out the facts, but it seems you guys are too focused on getting 7 wins, not even putting into consideration who those 7 wins are against, are any of them going to be playoff teams this year? Montana, MAYBE.

We don't need your facts, get in your rusty yellow Dodge the bullet pickup and go home.