SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ WMU - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

50 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Once Moy does his bracket BC is in and UND is sitting at home looking at a trophy and a banner from last year. 

Good grief. Look at his methodology: He puts in the current regular season winner as a proxy for the post-season tournament champion. He needs a placeholder for the slot. As I said, I don't see BC wining that nor do I see UND winning its post-season tourney. 

Moy could just as easily say the highest PWR team is in as the current regular season leader. 

• Upvote 3

How many guys from last year's team are in the NHL right now?

How many guys from this year's team will be playing in the NHL a year from now? 

Last year's freshmen weren't asked to do all the much because of all the talent around them. Between those 11 now sophomores and 8 freshmen, yeah, you see a team that looks flustered at times. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

because their LEADER welcomed it with open arms and sent a positive message to his team, who bought into it. Bubba is the man. Bubs seemed to let Faison do the talking as far as the nickname concern with the hockey team. Above it and beyond it though, there's absolutely no reason they should let the petty politics of a nickname change the winning and prideful tradition that is UND Hockey. Always has been.

I said sioux nickname.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Do you and bigskyvikes share Tony Robbins DVDs? ;)

Haha..I enjoy reading that you say Sic and I think alike....Thanks Ox! 

@The Sicatoka writes common sense,  no drama things about this team. I enjoy similar thinking people, not a fan of standing next to the edge when adversity hits. Never worry about things I can't control, and I never dwell in the past @MafiaMan (MSU)!  Mafia I never remembered you being so negative like you are this season! Is everything okay?

I will not give up hope on this team with the flashes of greatness they have shown! When it's over, I guess it's over! Let's just see what they can do without falling to pieces.....? Am I nervous about this season, absolutely! 

Just get in and see what happens. Sweep and a split to end the season and all is fine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

How many guys from last year's team are in the NHL right now?

How many guys from this year's team will be playing in the NHL a year from now? 

Last year's freshmen weren't asked to do all the much because of all the talent around them. Between those 11 now sophomores and 8 freshmen, yeah, you see a team that looks flustered at times. 

There you go again ruining the narrative. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Haha..I enjoy reading that you say Sic and I think alike....Thanks Ox! 

@The Sicatoka writes common sense,  no drama things about this team. I enjoy similar thinking people, not a fan of standing next to the edge when adversity hits. Never worry about things I can't control, and I never dwell in the past @MafiaMan (MSU)!  Mafia I never remembered you being so negative like you are this season! Is everything okay?

tumblr_mpxjofnFVw1rjj6wno1_400.gif

5 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I am just sick thinking about next year- no Jost (why would he stay), no Boeser (Vancouver is going to want him developing with them or in their system), no Pogo (he'll be in the AHL), no Pooly (he could be in the Peg), Gage (likely in the Coast)...this could get ugly.

I agree.  You look at the team and think we're so young so will only get better but that doesn't appear to be the case when we could lose our 2 of our top 3 goal scorers, top defenseman, and starting goalie (although Cam may have hurt himself staying here this season). 

Boeser had the advantage last year of everyone focused on Caggiula and Schmaltz. It gave him lots of free space. Now that he's the center of attention, with less time and space, it's had an impact on his game. If I were The Cou, I'd take a good hard look at that. He should be more dominant. It might be injuries; it might be he's being shut down. 

The 11 sophomores and 8 freshmen have talent. But when they're playing against upperclassmen all the time it's tough to show it. 

The current seniors are Ausmus and Matty Rinks. The juniors are T Poolman, Cam Johnson, Pogo, Simonson, and Olson. Sorry, I'm not seeing a whole ton of leadership out of that crew. Yeah Gage, I said it. That too is leading to struggles. 

Who'll I miss? If Tucker and Cam go, definitely. I'd miss Pogo, but I believe a healthy JJ can be that power forward. 

Nice hard fought series.  You guys dominated us in the 2nd half of saturdays game, we are lucky to have held on.  If we didn't have blacker you would have won by 3 or 4. I think you'll win enough to make it into the tournament again this year, and will probably win more games than we will once you're there (we've never won a single NCAA game in the history of our program). 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, ubish said:

Nice hard fought series.  You guys dominated us in the 2nd half of saturdays game, we are lucky to have held on.  If we didn't have blacker you would have won by 3 or 4. I think you'll win enough to make it into the tournament again this year, and will probably win more games than we will once you're there (we've never won a single NCAA game in the history of our program). 

Thanks ubish, good series.  You guys have a good team and I'll be pulling for you in any game you're not playing against UND in. If your guys take advantage of those opportunities like they did this weekend, you could definitely make noise in the tournament.

Cheers!

16 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I am just sick thinking about next year- no Jost (why would he stay), no Boeser (Vancouver is going to want him developing with them or in their system), no Pogo (he'll be in the AHL), no Pooly (he could be in the Peg), Gage (likely in the Coast)...this could get ugly.

In all reality, what players on this years team would be considered really big loses? (1) Jost (2) Gersich (3) Poolman (4) Cam --- I'm trying not to pile on Boeser, but we're talking about a guy that has 11 goals and basically hasn't scored for the past 3 months. Poganski doesn't even have 10 goals this season. Gage has struggled this year, shouldn't be hard to replace.

If they only lose Boeser, T. Poolman, Ausmus, Poganski, I really like them next year. A lot depends on Jost, Gersich and Cam. After what I'd consider a down year with freshman forwards, UND brings in a nice group of 3 Freshman next year.

41 minutes ago, AJS said:

In all reality, what players on this years team would be considered really big loses? (1) Jost (2) Gersich (3) Poolman (4) Cam --- I'm trying not to pile on Boeser, but we're talking about a guy that has 11 goals and basically hasn't scored for the past 3 months. Poganski doesn't even have 10 goals this season. Gage has struggled this year, shouldn't be hard to replace.

If they only lose Boeser, T. Poolman, Ausmus, Poganski, I really like them next year. A lot depends on Jost, Gersich and Cam. After what I'd consider a down year with freshman forwards, UND brings in a nice group of 3 Freshman next year.

You said exactly what I've been thinking about Pogo.  I thought he could be a 20 goal scorer this year.  

If Jost stays he is the captain.  If not he will make his NHL debut next year with what the avs have. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You said exactly what I've been thinking about Pogo.  I thought he could be a 20 goal scorer this year.  

If Jost stays he is the captain.  If not he will make his NHL debut next year with what the avs have. 

I'm setting the over/under at 4 hours after UND's season is over Jost is on a plane to Denver.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Poganski is kind of this years team in a nutshell. I too thought he'd be a monster this year. This years team doesn't have a talent problem, it has an underachieving problem from the star players. Starting this year, I thought you had 3 forwards who I'd called established college hockey forwards in Boeser, Poganski and Gardner. Never in my wildest nightmares would I ever think that all 3 would not only improve (even slightly), but really regress. It's stunning the years those 3 have had.

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm setting the over/under at 4 hours after UND's season is over Jost is on a plane to Denver.

Why? I have no understanding why he'd want to go there, right away. And I also have no understanding why Colorado would rush him.

Stay one more year, get bigger. They aren't going to magically morph into a good team with one player, regardless how great he is. The Avs are terrible.

Every time I hear Jost talk, he seems to have a huge desire to be here and loves playing for UND. I have yet to seen a convincing thing to suggest he's absolutely going. He knows he's going to have a chance to wear a letter and truly lead this team next year. I think he stays.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I just watched that save Blackard made on Tucker, that's an NHL save that Cam will never make.

Wouldn't go that far.  That's a save Blacker and any other goalie might make 1 out of 10, maybe a 100 times, diving across with glove outstretched, that's being lucky more than good. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, AJS said:

Poganski is kind of this years team in a nutshell. I too thought he'd be a monster this year. This years team doesn't have a talent problem, it has an underachieving problem from the star players. Starting this year, I thought you had 3 forwards who I'd called established college hockey forwards in Boeser, Poganski and Gardner. Never in my wildest nightmares would I ever think that all 3 would not only improve (even slightly), but really regress. It's stunning the years those 3 have had.

Gardner is the one I would most like people to taper down their expectations. You have to remember that he was brought in to be a four-year third-fourth line center that plays tough and kills penalties while chipping in offensively occasionally. I think even the coaches would agree that he vastly surprised and over-achieved last year. I do think he is better now than what he was recruited to do but don't expect him to become a 20 goal scorer anytime soon. He would fit best as a third line center as opposed to centering a second scoring line with much higher expectations.

• Upvote 2

You touched on another issue. Too many guys are playing "out of position". 

Tyson Jost is a machine, but he's a freshman and under six feet tall. Right now he should be the #2 center on the team. It feels like everyone is shifted up a role from where they should be. I suspect that has to do with all the early departures last spring. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You touched on another issue. Too many guys are playing "out of position". 

Tyson Jost is a machine, but he's a freshman and under six feet tall. Right now he should be the #2 center on the team. It feels like everyone is shifted up a role from where they should be. I suspect that has to do with all the early departures last spring. 

Gonna have to go ahead and disagree w/ ya there, Jost is a top line guy regardless of being a freshman. 

• Upvote 2