SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ WMU - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

This team doesn't have the top end talent like others of the past five years. Normally I'm wondering who the seventh forward is (the guy ready to jump into the top six). This year I can't find the fifth. What would Luke Johnson or Keaton Thomson on D do for this team this season? 

But, all that aside: You play the hand you're dealt. 

This team had the "2016 Champs" bullseye on their backs all season. They've been getting the other team's best game. Now they're being left for dead. I'm actually good with that. Look past this team. That's the one advantage, break, they could use right now. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Ok fine ,I believe this team is better then fifteen wins ,in a one and done maybe they play to their potential.

When does one and done start?

Simple question...............

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The football program fully embraced the sioux nickname and logo.

because their LEADER welcomed it with open arms and sent a positive message to his team, who bought into it. Bubba is the man. Bubs seemed to let Faison do the talking as far as the nickname concern with the hockey team. Above it and beyond it though, there's absolutely no reason they should let the petty politics of a nickname change the winning and prideful tradition that is UND Hockey. Always has been.

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

When does one and done start?

Simple question...............

About 125 hours. 

They dug themselves an ugly hole. If they play with the must win mindset now successfully they'll have given themselves some cushion, some margin, or if not successfully they'll be in it for real. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

I figure 16 and 15 are autobids so 14 is as low as you dare go. 

And, of course, we're assuming not a single upset in any of the conference tournaments.  What's there to worry about?  A few more quality losses and we should be good to go!

• Upvote 1

The issue is here is the way our team is playing leads us to believe they're settling for being a bubble team, despite the amount of talent that we have. In 2014 luck was the pot of gold we struck by getting into the tournament and all of a sudden we made it to the Frozen Four. The boys need more motivation. Every year, feasible goals for us are to win the conference, win the tournament, and reach for a national championship but I'm not exactly sure how "bought in" many of the guys are right now, and this is the worst time we should be suffering from any amount of apathy. 

There is no lack of talent on this team, there were more Freshmen on last years team then this years team and they won a National Title. The problem is this team doesn't do the fundamental things you learn in Peewees and Bantams. Can't make tape to tape passes, can't hit a player in stride with a pass, can't hold the zone, can't clear the front of the net, can't win puck battles, no puck support, can't establish a net front presence, can't go to the net on a 2x1, 3x1, or 3x2, don't win 50-50 pucks, can't get the other team out of position on the power play, etc...

Gornell crashes/goes to the net against St. Cloud he gets 2 goals. I didn't see a whole lot of that this weekend. This was the first time I saw UND get out worked physically, it was like the team hasn't worked with Poolman all year. Wolanin needs to change what he does on the blue line with the fake shot a couple crossovers then a shot, teams know he does this all the time. They guys need to do the things the did to get UND, and stop worrying about the name on the back of the jersey or their draft pick position and start playing for the name on the front of the jersey and this fan base that shows up to support them no matter where they play. If they don't want to be here sign a pro contract and let the guys that want to be here come here.