SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Champs!

geaux_sioux

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

In Bubba We Trust

Awesome seeing how much Bubba loves UND and how much it meant for him to be the coach here to bring us our first Big Sky Championship (co champs).  He has left No Doubt that he was the right choice! 

• Upvote 4

On 11/14/2016 at 10:20 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Is there any doubt that Bubba will be the Big Sky coach of the year?!

Any doubt? 
Um yeah.  I'd put Beau Baldwin above Bubba.  And that's not just a homer pick.  This is Beau's best coaching season to date at EWU.  Double digit win season breaking in a new QB. Likely Big Sky Championship (co). The best FCS vs FBS win of any team in the nation (WSU who is probably the best team in the Pac 12 which is a power 5 conference) and he big-time exceeded expectation as EWU was picked to finish 4th or 5th in Big Sky coming off a season with no playoffs.

No doubt Bubba has done a great job this year for you all, but it's not a slam dunk in his favor.  

9 minutes ago, Great Day To Be An Eagle said:

Any doubt? 
Um yeah.  I'd put Beau Baldwin above Bubba.  And that's not just a homer pick.  This is Beau's best coaching season to date at EWU.  Double digit win season breaking in a new QB. Likely Big Sky Championship (co). The best FCS vs FBS win of any team in the nation (WSU who is probably the best team in the Pac 12 which is a power 5 conference) and he big-time exceeded expectation as EWU was picked to finish 4th or 5th in Big Sky coming off a season with no playoffs.

No doubt Bubba has done a great job this year for you all, but it's not a slam dunk in his favor.  

I don't disagree and you could add - EWU is west of the Missouri (ie: Big Sky Bias). But here's one group that thinks Bubba is more deserving than Beau http://www.undsports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=211298695

36 minutes ago, Great Day To Be An Eagle said:

Any doubt? 

UND was ranked below EWU in both the media and coaches poll.  I'd say Bubba and UND exceeded expectations more than EWU did!!

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2016/7/12/FB_0712161745.aspx

• Upvote 1

I don't begrudge coach Baldwin of anything...he's got a heck of a team in Cheney...and an absolute beast in Kupp.  They were down last year...by their standards (and who could blame them after Oregon treated EWU like a JUCO...which is a blatant abuse of the grad transfer rule)...but at some point Bubba deserves some recognition on some level for turning the dumpster fire that he inherited around in 3 years.  I know this is a season-only award, but look back to 2008 (UND's first D1 year and Baldwin's 1st year at EWU).  Assuming EWU wins on Saturday, this is what both teams have done:

• UND 52-47 (many of the wins sub-D1 due to transition schedule)
  • EWU 83-31 (1 National Title)

EWU in 2015 was an anomaly...Coach Baldwin deserves a ton of credit for getting them back on track this year, and it is tough to sustain a program (for most schools not named NDSU)...but Bubba has taken a team that has done nothing and made them relevant (to what level can and will be thoroughly debated I'm sure) in a relatively short time-frame.  That's why most UND fans think he should be coach of the year...if that makes any sense.

Maybe they'll split the big sky award.  Both coaches are very deserving.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I don't begrudge coach Baldwin of anything...he's got a heck of a team in Cheney...and an absolute beast in Kupp.  They were down last year...by their standards...but at some point Bubba deserves some recognition on some level for turning the dumpster fire that he inherited around in 3 years.  I know this is a season-only award, but look back to 2008 (UND's first D1 year and Baldwin's 1st year at EWU).  Assuming EWU wins on Saturday, this is what both teams have done:

• UND 52-47 (many of the wins sub-D1 due to transition schedule)
  • EWU 83-31 (1 National Title)

EWU in 2015 was an anomaly...Coach Baldwin deserves a ton of credit for getting them back on track this year, and it is tough to sustain a program (for most schools not named NDSU)...but Bubba has taken a team that has done (and in many respects still has not done) anything and made them relevant in a relatively short time-frame.  That's why most UND fans think he should be coach of the year...if that makes any sense.

Maybe they'll split the big sky award.  Both coaches are very deserving.

My thoughts exactly.  

Bubba =C.O.Y

• Upvote 1