SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

9 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

It's easy to criticize when your team plays indoors, so you don't have to actually sit outside yourself. Nevertheless, If a were a bunny fan, I wouldn't have let the weather keep me away.

Bison fans crack me up.

53 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So when does the next shoe drop regarding this whole conference thing. Got to think the Big Sky is wanting a quick resolution to all of this.

If upper tier Big Sky schools want to go to the WAC, Engstrom's apparently forced resignation threw a wrench in that. 

But if UND is going to the MVFC or Slummit, it has been unbelievably quiet among the media types.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, Gothmog said:

I wasn't in NYC this weekend, but I'd say it's very likely that 9,000 or even 8,000 out of 11K is a wild overestimate.

I was told that UND more or less sold out their allotment of 7,000 assigned tickets and then started selling BC's portion, which was obvious due to the amount of green in prime seats on the other side of the arena. Then add in people who bought tickets outside of those two areas. Knowing that info, I'm finding it hard to see how something 8,000 or a little more is a wild overestimate.

59 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I was told that UND more or less sold out their allotment of 7,000 assigned tickets and then started selling BC's portion, which was obvious due to the amount of green in prime seats on the other side of the arena. Then add in people who bought tickets outside of those two areas. Knowing that info, I'm finding it hard to see how something 8,000 or a little more is a wild overestimate.

Ariz St and UNLV must be chomping on the bit to get in the NCHC, as they will both have near sell outs of NHL rinks when UND comes to town, preferably in the dead of winter, not during the football season.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder if it was the same as the committee to investigate dropping sports. Pres Kennedy asked for the information to make a decision whether to drop sports and then nothing happened. Did he ask Faison to get the facts to make a decision about conferences and the conclusion is to remain in the Big Sky, like the decision to keep all existing sports? It would make sense that he wanted to 'get up to speed' on the athletics situation before making decisions to drop or not drop sports and likewise to change or not change conferences. Maybe the costs of the two conferences is close enough so that a change is not warranted.

On 12/8/2016 at 11:53 AM, jdub27 said:

Bob Entzion told me there was 18000 UND fans in NY

Does anyone have any insight what is going on with the budget shortfall that caused all this pandemonium with sports being cut / new conferences? I'm sure they are still looking into new conferences, but as Tom Miller wrote, the savings won't be as much as most thought. Has Kennedy taken care of the budget problem? If so, how? I'm just really confused as this was such a hot topic and now there's no talk whatsoever on it.  

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Does anyone have any insight what is going on with the budget shortfall that caused all this pandemonium with sports being cut / new conferences? I'm sure they are still looking into new conferences, but as Tom Miller wrote, the savings won't be as much as most thought. Has Kennedy taken care of the budget problem? If so, how? I'm just really confused as this was such a hot topic and now there's no talk whatsoever on it.  

I'd imagine that any talk that is happening is being done completely over the phone now. I believe Faison already stated how it can be difficult to go through this kind of process when your emails can be made public. So I'm sure anything that is being done is being kept as quiet as possible to avoid media speculation.

Unfortunately, with how quiet it has been since the initial report, I'm thinking if something happens, we won't hear any rumors or hints. It'll just get reported when its final. Just a guess though.

Just now, AJS said:

I was told by a person who was on the committee that Faison told him that UND would save $800k/year.  He also said Faison would deny that.  I don't know why and I don't  understand why that number is so different from Tom Miller's article.

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Assume $800k savings.
Assume $22 million budget. 
That's roughly 3.6%. 

If the number (from the State, mandating cuts) is 10%, changing conferences is not enough. 

It's a nice easy step in the right direction though 

12 hours ago, AJS said:

Schafer wanted to change UND and the culture on campus. Given more time he would've been successful and, IMO, UND would be on its way to a being a better, more efficient university. In order to institute his change, Schafer attempted to scare the campus with reality and he did it very loudly. It seems Kennedy has returned the campus to what it was, will not institute necessary change, and will continue in the Kelley manner of sweeping issues under the rug. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Assume $800k savings.
Assume $22 million budget. 
That's roughly 3.6%. 

If the number (from the State, mandating cuts) is 10%, changing conferences is not enough. 

Much of athletics funding is via student fees, ticket sales, and donations. Those sources aren't affected by state cuts. 

12 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Any clue on who?

A DII school doesn't do the WAC any good for five years.  Dixie St just moved to the RMAC and Cal Baptist still isn't eligible to move up.

Existing DI schools would be much less risky for the WAC and FCS schools can go FBS when the WAC decides.  The WAC would be an upgrade for any FCS who has FBS ambitions.

1 hour ago, homer said:

My prediction is baseball to take our spot

There isn't an independent baseball team to take, except New York Tech.  Some other DI team would have to leave their conference in order to free up their baseball to join.  Chicago St is down to 2800 student for the spring semester.  When Chicago St drops from DI, that will leave the WAC with 8 baseball teams, which is plenty.  Baseball is the least of the WAC concerns.

An Idaho poster has confirmed that the Idaho AD is trying to get a WAC - Big Sky realignment to happen.  Idaho's president is not standing in the way of such a move.  As stated previously, the WAC is much more valuable conference than the Big Sky, MVFC, CAA etc, because it can grant FCS schools FBS status.  Schools like Liberty would pay big money to the WAC to get FBS status.