SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber Predictions

UND Fan

7 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

thanks for being "that guy" this week!  :)

I predict we give up a few big plays and it's close throughout.  But in the end Taubs big beautiful leg ends up being the difference. 

UND    30

Weber 28

Bear in mind my predictions are worth only the time it takes to read them, at best...

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

After last weekend, I will not be adjusting my predictions right before the kickoff. That clearly did not work last week, and cause too tight of a game. Really hoping Santiago finally hits a HR ball.

Birds 38

Cats 24

they need to feed santiago more...like last year...brady is getting too many carries... und 41 weber state junior college 17

19 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

they need to feed santiago more...like last year...brady is getting too many carries... und 41 weber state junior college 17

Unless the O-line from last year shows up, keep giving the ball to Brady.  Those huge holes worked great for the speedster...but this year it will take some weight and muscle.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I do not agree. Oliveira is a powerful, physical back that plays more into UND's style (heavy personnel running game) than Santiago does; they need to keep the 50/50 split going. 

They should really turn it into a 40/40 split and get flash 20.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I do not agree. Oliveira is a powerful, physical back that plays more into UND's style (heavy personnel running game) than Santiago does; they need to keep the 50/50 split going. 

I like the split, but I really like when they're on the field together with Santiago split out wide, or in motion.  Give the defense fits and gets him the ball in space.

• Upvote 3

I like Santiago as much as the next guy, but there is no reason to feed him more carries than he is getting at this point. It should be about a 45/45/10 split between Santiago/Oliveira/Gordon. Also get gordon and santiago some screen passes and even a slant or down field shot to Santiago.

I think that split is a great starting point, based on the success of all three of these kids this year. I think that split can also change throughout the game based on the defense. If you start seeing some bigger holes, especially to the outside, then absolutely get Santiago in there. If the defense is moving quickly and closing the gaps, then get Brady in their to muscle out some yards. Regardless, Gordon needs to be in there periodically, he is the perfect compliment to Brady and John because defenses just don't seem to know if he'll get the ball or not, but when he does, he makes the most of it. 3 very solid RBs with Norberg to boot, is a great problem to have.

Hopefully we can establish the run on the first drive or two and open up some passing opportunities. Really like the chemistry I've seen with Keaton and Toivenen and Wanzek. Would really like to see a few more jump balls to Wanzek, especially in the RedZone (Wanzek's potential is ridiculous, especially if he can put on another 20 lbs). Also would like to see a few more TE passes. Fiedler is huge, and can get some yards, and I'd try to get the ball to Cloyd a bit, to get him into a rhythm. Heard a ton about this kids potential, but I'm hoping its not just as a blocker.

Special teams is a bit of a question mark for me on the weekend, and hopefully a place the team can step it up a bit. Need to do a better job on kick off coverage. Also, would be nice to see a few decent returns on our end. Lets just keep that Dussold to Reed connection going. Win the field position battle (Or just score so we don't have to punt :) )

• Upvote 3

Ball carrier split should depend on what the defense is giving up. For example, Santiago should have had a ton of carries vs. Cal Poly (if he wouldn't have gotten hurt) because they were stuffing the middle, leaving the edges and outside vulnerable, which is right up his wheelhouse. If teams are exposing the middle and keeping the edges under contain, then it makes more sense for Oliveira to get more carries. Needs to be a good mix either way and if you can get Santiago going early, its going to be a long day for the offense. Also Norberg needs some credit and he has done a great job blocking and has been excellent as the upback on the quick handoff up the middle.

I think I would be ok with seeing Santiago out there more for some trick plays. Not necessarily on FG attempts, but I'd like to see a direct snap to him on a fake punt, if UND was in the right field position to justify the risk. If you can pull it off, it doesn't just lead to a first down, we're talking TD.

2 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

I like the split, but I really like when they're on the field together with Santiago split out wide, or in motion.  Give the defense fits and gets him the ball in space.

Agree I think Santiago can be successful as a rocket Ismail type get some carries out of the backfield but also catching a lot of balls where he can have more space to operate.  Oliveira definitely needs to have a major role too.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brady in the backfield on the first drive.   It seems (to me anyway) that Brady is able to more consistently get positive yards and would be nothing better to have the first drive be one of those long slow drives getting 4-5 yards at a crack and take it down for a score.  Then next series after they just got pummeled by Brady up the middle, have Santiago in as a change of pace and maybe hit a big one around the edge.  I like the 45/45/10 mix that somebody mentioned.....which is about what they are doing now.  I also agree with that when they put Gordon in, teams kind of think we might be passing and maybe aren't quite as focused on the run.....and then and Gordon is able to surprise them a bit.  

• Upvote 1

I just really hope we win this one . . . my 3 year old is going to Pre-school today circling her finger in the air and spouting that the Bison better watch out cuz "the Hawks are circling".  (Her teacher is a BIG Bison fan and is always wearing Bison stuff on Fridays, we, of course, wear Sioux stuff on Fridays).  I just don't know WHERE she gets this stuff.  ;)   

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

I just really hope we win this one . . . my 3 year old is going to Pre-school today circling her finger in the air and spouting that the Bison better watch out cuz "the Hawks are circling".  (Her teacher is a BIG Bison fan and is always wearing Bison stuff on Fridays, we, of course, wear Sioux stuff on Fridays).  I just don't know WHERE she gets this stuff.  ;)   

Sounds like you're bringing your daughter up right:).