SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

NDSU got fat and happy. Made some bad choices in bringing in the wrong players and UND rebuilt with lessor talent but harder workers. Maybe other teams benefitted from the trickle down talent but UND just plain got better and it would have happened regardless of reduction or not. The proof is how great we were in the 70s. We can go head to head with NDSU, just not in the 80s or in the recent FCS history due to very low troughs in our programs history. Other than those two times UND has been pretty even with NDSU in everything other than national titles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4192827-bresciani-named-finalist-ohio-u-job-says-new-opportunities-have-become-particularinyly

Must be a hell of in interviewer.  His track record at NDSU is certainly less than impresive.

Compared to Kupjello (zero vision or ideas, out of town and unavailable for contact, no change advocate) and Kelley (pushed out under faculty mutiny and zero rapport with student population;  major lack of control and budgeting issues), Brescani is a rock star.

Brescani had great vision for the university, dug it out of a major budget problem, grew academic profile and funding; supported DI athletics the nth degree, had a 86% favorable rating with faculty and is loved by the students.

Less than impressive, compared to what?  Sure, ndsu haters want him gone . . . why do you think that is?   A little objectivity would be good when considering what Brescani has done.   He is Trump compared to your Obamas when it comes to accomplishing actual work.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Herd said:

Compared to Kupjello (zero vision or ideas, out of town and unavailable for contact, no change advocate) and Kelley (pushed out under faculty mutiny and zero rapport with student population;  major lack of control and budgeting issues), Brescani is a rock star.

Brescani had great vision for the university, dug it out of a major budget problem, grew academic profile and funding; supported DI athletics the nth degree, had a 86% favorable rating with faculty and is loved by the students.

Less than impressive, compared to?  UND?

Agree that we have a presidents house made of glass. Yours may look like brick but it's glass as well.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Herd said:

Less than impressive, compared to what?  Sure, ndsu haters want him gone . . . why do you think that is?   A little objectivity would be good when considering what Brescani has done.   He is Trump compared to Obama when it comes to accomplishing actual work.

Got ya, know what you mean, Ohio Trumps Brescani, NDBHE says "Thak You"! 

13 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Just take a minute and use some logic and you'll understand. It's really quite simple.

I'all use an FBS example. If this afternoon the NCAA announced that they were reducing the amount of scholarships from 85-76, 9 players that would have been on Alabamas roster are now on another team's roster. 9 players, scholarship players, good players that could turn into stars and/contributors are now on another teams roster. 9 players from clemsons roster, 9 players from Ohio state, Washington, Michigan, Oklahoma etc, 9 players from each of those rosters are now on a "lesser" team's roster.

who gets worse? Who gets better? 

Maybe alabama had it down to 2 really great running backs coming out of high school. RB just happens to be a position that they don't have a huge need this year in recruiting so they have allocated only 1 scholarship to the position. So they take the one that they think is better, but really it's a toss up. The other guy takes a scholarship to auburn and turns into a star. The guy Alabama took was riddled with injuries and didn't see the field much, non contributor. If they had those 9 scholarships the auburn kid would have been on their roster.

Quick and small example, but it's easy to see that the teams at the top are hurt by a scholarship reduction while the teams at the bottom are helped, as kids who would have likely accepted a scholarship to Alabama were now at auburn.

Scholarship reduction hurt them for a long time.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Reduced scholarships applied to all D2 teams equally, it was not exclusive to NDSU so I call BS on that sorry excuse.

Rules can apply to everyone while hurting some more than others.  Say they take checking out of hockey...will that impact certain teams more than others while also applying to everyone?

8 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Rules can apply to everyone while hurting some more than others.  Say they take checking out of hockey...will that impact certain teams more than others while also applying to everyone?

NDSU went from 1991-2003 without playing for a title or even hosting a playoff game in the Fargodome. I think their problems went deeper than scholarship reductions. Its called finding their strong point and destroying it, and thats what UND and other teams did. Kill the veer!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So with Fleck now going to Minnesota, the coaching carousel has begun.  Will be interesting to see if Kleiman will be considered at WMU.   

That's the tough part about hiring a young coach at the FCS level. If they're successful they'll leave for a FBS school. I'm sure Klieman will be atleast talked about being the replacement coach at WMU and I think they should hire him. It would be interesting to see what NDSU would do. They should probably try to do the same thing and retain one the coordinators to take over. My bet is they try to bring in some wash out from the east coast. Somebody who has coached at the FBS level with limited success. I know I'm way ahead of myself on this one, but I'd Like to see what that administration would do. My bet is not the smart thing. We'll get to see if Larsen can fill Taylor's shoes if that happens. 

11 hours ago, Cratter said:

How many scholarships increases do we think FCS would have needed this year to help NDSU and Montana play for the  championship? 4.7?

I think cutting DI hockey scholarships in half would be a good idea, and would have no impact on the sport.

2 minutes ago, Herd said:

I think cutting DI hockey scholarships in half would be a good idea, and would have no impact on the sport.

Actually, it would help the schools with something more than a scholarship to offer (tradition, facilities, path to the next level) but it would hurt the overall game. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Actually, it would help the schools with something more than a scholarship to offer (tradition, facilities, path to the next level) but it would hurt the overall game. 

it would throw  healthy restricter plate on any strong engine, booster club, and fundraising.  Yes, you might get the best players that want to walk-on.