SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We match up really well with Poly, other teams, not so much. We don't match up with EWU well, yet. I think starting next year I'm not as afraid of them as before since we have a more legit secondary and a ground and pound offense that can take them out of rhythm. Torrential downpours tend to even the talent on the field out. UND choked bad in the playoffs. Our OL just wasn't ready. Should be the difference next year. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it, we will be very good next year. 

I believe you, but I also know football and UND has a significantly tougher schedule next year with some of the tougher games on the road instead of at home. Makes a big difference for college kids.

Just now, darell1976 said:

No. We had a good team, I know you dismiss that just like you guys dismissed our FBS win in 2015 while pumping your chests at the lower level FBS teams you guys have beaten. We could be undefeated, beat Alabama, win a national title, and you would still find flaws in our team. Like claiming NDSU has never lost a recruiting battle with UND. We know you don't like our team, we are nothing in your eyes. Just keep losing at home to those South Dakota teams. 

Smh

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Bison06 said:

I believe you, but I also know football and UND has a significantly tougher schedule next year with some of the tougher games on the road instead of at home. Makes a big difference for college kids.

Tougher as in Utah and Montana sure. Tougher as in South Dakota and Portland State, not so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Bison06 said:

I'm confident. Our OL was very young and we had to rely on true fr at CB. Next year those two will be better and the starter who got injured will be back. The two tr fr WRs will also be better. We lost a couple really good LBs but that is where our depth is best. It should be UNDs most complete team of the D1 era by far. Maybe still a year away from the kind of depth Bubba wants to build but he's close.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm confident. Our OL was very young and we had to rely on true fr at CB. Next year those two will be better and the starter who got injured will be back. The two tr fr WRs will also be better. We lost a couple really good LBs but that is where our depth is best. It should be UNDs most complete team of the D1 era by far. Maybe still a year away from the kind of depth Bubba wants to build but he's close.

I trust your football knowledge, you always seem pretty level headed on these things. QB play for you guys is a big reason I have a hard time thinking you'll take a huge leap forward. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I just think his inaccuracy makes it hard for UND to consistently move the ball on good teams.

its all speculation of course and infinite variables can change between today and next august, bubba does seem to have the team on the right track, but the big sky in the playoffs really made me take a hard look at UND's schedule and question how far UND really came this year. Not sure any of us have a conclusive answer to that question. UND laying an egg in the playoffs against a team that got absolutely destroyed by the team that you claimed a co championship with certainly made me question how UND would have matched up against EWU. I don't like the transitive game logic, but when one team loses and another team destroys that team it makes you pause a bit.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

I trust your football knowledge, you always seem pretty level headed on these things. QB play for you guys is a big reason I have a hard time thinking you'll take a huge leap forward. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I just think his inaccuracy makes it hard for UND to consistently move the ball on good teams.

its all speculation of course and infinite variables can change between today and next august, bubba does seem to have the team on the right track, but the big sky in the playoffs really made me take a hard look at UND's schedule and question how far UND really came this year. Not sure any of us have a conclusive answer to that question. UND laying an egg in the playoffs against a team that got absolutely destroyed by the team that you claimed a co championship with certainly made me question how UND would have matched up against EWU. I don't like the transitive game logic, but when one team loses and another team destroys that team it makes you pause a bit.

I don't put much weight in Richmond beating us and getting thrashed at EWU. Richmond quit in the EWU. I think QB play UND comes down to depth. If the new transfer can push Studsrud that will be a great thing for us. At the very least he can be a competent backup and allow the coaches to use the full playbook with Studsrud running instead of just trying to avoid any contact for him. The OL was atrocious to start the year. I believe that's why Studs struggled to start the year.  If the OL is as improved as we are expecting it to be that should translate to a better year for Studsrud. 

8 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Although, if you remember, UND dominated the first half of the Richmond game. The second half was reversed. I think if UND could have made some on-the-fly adjustments, it'd be a vastly different result. UND could have very easily dominated Richmond the same way EWU did

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don't put much weight in Richmond beating us and getting thrashed at EWU. Richmond quit in the EWU. I think QB play UND comes down to depth. If the new transfer can push Studsrud that will be a great thing for us. At the very least he can be a competent backup and allow the coaches to use the full playbook with Studsrud running instead of just trying to avoid any contact for him. The OL was atrocious to start the year. I believe that's why Studs struggled to start the year.  If the OL is as improved as we are expecting it to be that should translate to a better year for Studsrud. 

I'll trust you, as I said, you'll call a spade a spade and if you believe they'll be competing for the conference title and then some next year, I'll defer to your knowledge of the program.

Because I believe you will be honest I'll ask you: how did the big sky's performance in the playoffs change(if at all) how you felt about UND's season?

2 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Although, if you remember, UND dominated the first half of the Richmond game. The second half was reversed. I think if UND could have made some on-the-fly adjustments, it'd be a vastly different result. UND could have very easily dominated Richmond the same way EWU did

I hear you, but I've also been on the other side of that conversation and Richmond was probably thinking if they had shown up in the first half they would have blown UND out. The result of a game stands as it's own evidence IMO, anything else is usually observer bias, in my experience.

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'll trust you, as I said, you'll call a spade a spade and if you believe they'll be competing for the conference title and then some next year, I'll defer to your knowledge of the program.

Because I believe you will be honest I'll ask you: how did the big sky's performance in the playoffs change(if at all) how you felt about UND's season?

Weber wasn't that good and played a vastly superior team. Poly ran into weather that killed their style of play. They wouldn't have made a deep run because of their defense though.  EWU was doing their typical EWU thing and it took a miracle catch to beat them against a very good team. Can't blame the weather here. UND was beating the piss out of Richmond and then suffered a fate as embarrassing as erotic  asphyxiation. I think SUU would have been a better rep of the Big Sky in the playoffs but still wouldn't have beaten Chatty. It didn't change how I feel about UND's season. We got on a roll. We were missing a couple key pieces. Our fast WR. Our other starting CB. Our stud fr OL who went back to the rez. Our schedule was supposed to be soft as Charmin based on pre season rankings but turned out to be one of the hardest in the conference. Who knows what the schedule strength will be next year? We can guess, but there's no way to predict it.  You could probably say that we overachieved. Even still, I expect the team to take another step or two forward next season. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Weber wasn't that good and played a vastly superior team. Poly ran into weather that killed their style of play. They wouldn't have made a deep run because of their defense though.  EWU was doing their typical EWU thing and it took a miracle catch to beat them against a very good team. Can't blame the weather here. UND was beating the piss out of Richmond and then suffered a fate as embarrassing as erotic  asphyxiation. I think SUU would have been a better rep of the Big Sky in the playoffs but still wouldn't have beaten Chatty. It didn't change how I feel about UND's season. We got on a roll. We were missing a couple key pieces. Our fast WR. Our other starting CB. Our stud fr OL who went back to the rez. Our schedule was supposed to be soft as Charmin based on pre season rankings but turned out to be one of the hardest in the conference. Who knows what the schedule strength will be next year? We can guess, but there's no way to predict it.  You could probably say that we overachieved. Even still, I expect the team to take another step or two forward next season. 

Most people looked to the Weber game as a signature win for UND in 2016. I agree with you they weren't very good. But if that's true, doesnt the take away some of the cache' of beating a playoff team in your mind?

In my world a win is a win and you can only beat the teams they put on your schedule, but if those teams end up not being as good as you'd once thought, it has to make you wonder if your record isn't accurately reflecting how great your season was.

This isn't a shot at UND either, it's just why I love the playoffs. You don't have to wonder if you are better or worse than your record, you just let the playoffs do the talking.

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Most people looked to the Weber game as a signature win for UND in 2016. I agree with you they weren't very good. But if that's true, doesnt the take away some of the cache' of beating a playoff team in your mind?

In my world a win is a win and you can only beat the teams they put on your schedule, but if those teams end up not being as good as you'd once thought, it has to make you wonder if your record isn't accurately reflecting how great your season was.

This isn't a shot at UND either, it's just why I love the playoffs. You don't have to wonder if you are better or worse than your record, you just let the playoffs do the talking.

Comparing this season to the first few in the Big Sky I'll take a win against anyone and be happy.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Is Bison 06 lost or just obsessed with UND?

Can we just dispense with this juvenile idea that it somehow takes effort to click to a different webpage? Like somehow I'm going out of my way to travel by UNDs house so I can see if you're home. I have a smart phone, I know it's new technology, but maybe by chance you've heard of it? It allows for multiple browsers to be open at any given time. There is a discussion on this website that I'm interested in, I couldn't care less what this site is called or what college affiliation the owner of the site has.

You have a thread dedicated to discussion about NDSU and yet don't expect NDSU fans to comment? This has been going on for years, I find it odd how many on this board seem to find it hard to reconcile these facts.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I think it is fair to say that you have a rather abnormally large  interest in what goes on at  UND.  You write on here more than UND fans do.  Sometimes you seem to be  carrying on a conversation   with yourself.  Go ahead,  continue talking to yourself.      

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I think it is fair to say that you have a rather abnormally large  interest in what goes on at  UND.  You write on here more than UND fans do.  Sometimes you seem to be  carrying on a conversation   with yourself.  Go ahead,  continue talking to yourself.      

Or he doesn't want to be on bisonville with all of the obnoxious group think

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

Dont think of it as an interest in UND, it's just an interest in football and this is a good place to have good discussion. 

Logistically, this site is mobile optimized well and has a great landing page to view the latest discussions.

Bisonville, among other reasons that site had fallen out of favor for me, requires a download of an app called tapatalk to post normally, not my style.

26 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Again, this is the internet, don't think of it as an interest in UND, it's just an interest in football and this is a good place to have good discussion. If you look back at my posting history, I think you'll find that the vast majority of my posts revolve around my knowledge and passion for football, not of UND specifically.

Bang your arms on your chest. bury your head in the snow. 

trolling22.jpg

• Upvote 2

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Bang your arms on your chest. bury your head in the snow. 

trolling22.jpg

Played a lot of football and follow the game very closely. Many on this board have "knowledge" of the game, this word is being singled out...why?

Like how bozoville and AGS were stating that there was no way the Frisco game would be sold out without SU fans.  How did that work?  Maybe booze sales were down, but the stadium was far from empty.  Yeah, it the end zones weren't full because of construction, but they couldn't have been filled with SU fans anyway.

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Like how bozoville and AGS were stating that there was no way the Frisco game would be sold out without SU fans.  How did that work?  Maybe booze sales were down, but the stadium was far from empty.  Yeah, it the end zones weren't full because of construction, but they couldn't have been filled with SU fans anyway.

Attendance was down ~7,000 compared to last year. My understanding is that construction reduced capacity by about 4,000. Of course there's no way to know how many JMU and YSU fans would attended had seating not been limited by construction. Nevertheless, the stadium was not sold out yesterday, and there's no reason to assume that more people would have attended had the stadium not been under construction.

17 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Regarding the OL - I can't help but wonder how we would have been with Grady all year and Stockwell healthy for the playoffs. Anchor those tackle spots and the rest of the OL would have filled in really nicely.  Our run game for the playoffs could have been special.