SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

1 minute ago, bang said:

Hilarious. The man who is quoted as telling a police officer that "he'll fight you tell you die". On top of that he got away with it. I'd love to see him back in Fargo. 

Don't forget he blames UND's rise and NDSU's fall in the 90's on scholarship reduction even thought both schools had the same number. Rocky is a riot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Report: Gophers to consider Klieman for head coach position

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4192139-report-gophers-consider-klieman-head-coach-position

Craig Bohl is a trendy pick, but didn't really think this was an option.  Don't really see a P5 school hiring straight from the FCS, but who knows!!  That fact that Klieman and AD Coyle went to High School together makes things interesting!!

I think Klieman would be a good hire there. I think they want someone young. I don't see Frost or Speck or whatever his name is from WMU going there. It could happen. 

Just now, darell1976 said:

Don't forget he blames UND's rise and NDSU's fall in the 90's on scholarship reduction even thought both schools had the same number. Rocky is a riot.

Loved him and hated him all at once. The guy was so entertaining. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, darell1976 said:

Yep it was the 1995 season. "you can go 11-1, if that 1 is to those son of a gun's north of us, your season is not a success" Rocky Hager.  CLASSIC!!

Ya, that's the one I was thinking about. I was senior in high school when that game was played. Must of been Phillips Red shirt Freshmen season. If I remember right he had a pretty good game on a real cold day. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bang said:

Fire and Ice. Wasn't that the name of it? 

Originally the story was going to be themed around the Cheetham brothers.  James at UND and Jerome at SU.  

But after they started shooting film Rocky was too entertaining to not make the story based on him, with his counter part being coach Thomas.  (This is straight from RT)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bang said:

Ya, that's the one I was thinking about. I was senior in high school when that game was played. Must of been Phillips Red shirt Freshmen season. If I remember right he had a pretty good game on a real cold day. 

I graduated with Phillip Moore in 94 so 95 would have been his first season (non-redshirt). 

1 hour ago, bang said:

I think Klieman would be a good hire there. I think they want someone young. I don't see Frost or Speck or whatever his name is from WMU going there. It could happen. 

It's all about $$$.  Although i don't know how much UofM will offer a new coach with all the buyouts they are paying right now.  

58 minutes ago, molden said:

Rocky won't be considered for a return to NDSU.  His time has passed in Fargo.

Yeah,  dude lives on the east coast now.  He helped me get a present for my dad a couple years ago.  He's the man. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I graduated with Phillip Moore in 94 so 95 would have been his first season (non-redshirt). 

Yep that's what I meant. I graduated in 96. I would of been a sophomore when you guys were seniors. 

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Originally the story was going to be themed around the Cheetham brothers.  James at UND and Jerome at SU.  

But after they started shooting film Rocky was too entertaining to not make the story based on him, with his counter part being coach Thomas.  (This is straight from RT)

That's pretty interesting. I never knew that. 

12 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I easily believe this

20 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I suppose it can be debated how big of a role scholarship reductions played in NDSU coming back to the pack in the 90s, but you must at least acknowledge that going from 45 to 36(someone correct me on those if they're wrong) would hurt the teams at the top and help the teams at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I suppose it can be debated how big of a role scholarship reductions played in NDSU coming back to the pack in the 90s, but you must at least acknowledge that going from 45 to 36(someone correct me on those if they're wrong) would hurt the teams at the top and help the teams at the bottom.

If you mean it helps the teams who don't fully fund their programs, then sure I agree with you....if a team is only funding 10 scholarships and their competition goes from 45 to 36 that would help them a bit.

I do agree that the scholarship cut hurt NDSU and it took them awhile to adjust to it. From what I have been told by guys who know quite a bit about college football and how programs are run, the veer offense was an "expensive" offense to run as far as scholarship money and in order to keep the talent and depth to run the veer while cutting scholarships overall something has to give somewhere else.

14 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So NDSU got less scholarships and somehow they became worse than UND who also got less scholarships.  Yep.  That makes perfect sense!! :blink:

Just take a minute and use some logic and you'll understand. It's really quite simple.

I'all use an FBS example. If this afternoon the NCAA announced that they were reducing the amount of scholarships from 85-76, 9 players that would have been on Alabamas roster are now on another team's roster. 9 players, scholarship players, good players that could turn into stars and/contributors are now on another teams roster. 9 players from clemsons roster, 9 players from Ohio state, Washington, Michigan, Oklahoma etc, 9 players from each of those rosters are now on a "lesser" team's roster.

who gets worse? Who gets better? 

Maybe alabama had it down to 2 really great running backs coming out of high school. RB just happens to be a position that they don't have a huge need this year in recruiting so they have allocated only 1 scholarship to the position. So they take the one that they think is better, but really it's a toss up. The other guy takes a scholarship to auburn and turns into a star. The guy Alabama took was riddled with injuries and didn't see the field much, non contributor. If they had those 9 scholarships the auburn kid would have been on their roster.

Quick and small example, but it's easy to see that the teams at the top are hurt by a scholarship reduction while the teams at the bottom are helped, as kids who would have likely accepted a scholarship to Alabama were now at auburn.

5 minutes ago, petey23 said:

If you mean it helps the teams who don't fully fund their programs, then sure I agree with you....if a team is only funding 10 scholarships and their competition goes from 45 to 36 that would help them a bit.

I do agree that the scholarship cut hurt NDSU and it took them awhile to adjust to it. From what I have been told by guys who know quite a bit about college football and how programs are run, the veer offense was an "expensive" offense to run as far as scholarship money and in order to keep the talent and depth to run the veer while cutting scholarships overall something has to give somewhere else.

Sure it helped teams who don't fully fund, but it helped teams who were fully funding scholarships as well. Read through my example.

I should clarify one point.

reducing scholarships in this way would only affect the teams at the top negatively in the short term. 

Eventually, having the resources be lesser but still equal would find a new equilibrium and the "better" programs would still be the "better" programs. 

I should further clarify. In no way am I saying this was the only reason. That would be foolish. UND's rise through the 90's and early 2000's had many factors, which included really, really good coaching and recruiting good solid kids.

All I'm saying is that reducing scholarships, definitely hurt NDSU in the early 90's. And they without a doubt came back to the pack for a decade.