SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. DU - THURSDAY F4 Gameday

AZSIOUX

Morning observation poolside from Tampa on game last night:

Cam was outstanding. Best player on the ice.

You'll see me on ice Saturday before LJ. Very unfortunate.

Up 2-0 to start the 3rd UND played not to lose. 9 icings if my count is right in the first 6 minutes. Can't have repeated defensive end draws if you can not win them without it biting you.

Sioux crowd was great. Electric after #8 scored.

UND will have to be much better with offensive transitioning and puck possession vs Q to win tomorrow.

Not the best night from #2 and #20. 

#26 is what UND hockey is all about. Plug and play.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I'm sure this will come off as offensive to some.  But, really?  Travis Roy story again?  Right now?       

How about some pre-game instead???

Remember, these games are on ESPN.....gotta make it all about Boston teams! 

• Upvote 1

UND is not the team of the pat and needs to get inline with the way they have been playing disciplined hockey. Don't let the calls affect us. 

i don't think I have ever seen a better defensive team in my life and that is winning is games. The way the forwards backcheck and pick up open guys is as good as ever.

just need to finish out sat

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Up 2-0 to start the 3rd UND played not to lose. 9 icings if my count is right in the first 6 minutes. Can't have repeated defensive end draws if you can win them without it biting you.

UND will have to be much better with offensive transitioning and puck possession vs Q to win tomorrow.

As good as he's been lately, and as much as I love his story this year, when Gardner got tossed from the faceoff my first thought was "uh oh".  Then the Butcher goal happened.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND is not the team of the pat and needs to get inline with the way they have been playing disciplined hockey. Don't let the calls affect us. 

i don't think I have ever seen a better defensive team in my life and that is winning is games. The way the forwards backcheck and pick up open guys is as good as ever.

just need to finish out sat

I agree on all this.  One part of the great back checking is how the elite scorers (CBS line) are leading the way on that.   Great ethic that creates a culture of responsibility.   And they still deliver on the scorecard, often with steals and turnaround rushes.   That has been a treat to watch this season, and nobody has done it better than Schmaltz.   His development from last year has been huge, IMO, which will probably mean we will not be watching him in green and white next year.    

Our D men might not be bonecrushers, but they are so mobile and have such good stick skills that they don't need to be knocking people around as much.  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Up 2-0 to start the 3rd UND played not to lose. 9 icings if my count is right in the first 6 minutes. Can't have repeated defensive end draws if you can win them without it biting you.

Hockey announcers said the Natty will be a skill advantage (UND) vrs. a speed advantage (Quinny)

I had flashbacks of UND FB vs. Drake the way the wheels fell off for about half the game. 

To me UND held back intentionally and excessively, is that seriously a strategy for 30 minutes of hockey?  I understand if a team shells up with a defensive strategy in the last 5 minutes, but for half the game in the frozen 4.....??

CONGRATS on the WIN!!

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Being he had a knee brace on that tells me it was sprained or something along those lines.  Anybody else know about why they would be put a big brace on immediately?

Gonna go out on a limb and say MCL injury.

15 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Being he had a knee brace on that tells me it was sprained or something along those lines.  Anybody else know about why they would be put a big brace on immediately?

If he had a brace on that leg it's a ligament for sure

7 minutes ago, Tsiouxnami said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say MCL injury.

If it is he won't be able to go. Moving in a straight line is fine running but cutting and turning is bad news. Since skating is a side to side thing I'd say an mcl would be a coffin nail for his season.

30 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

A brace like that is not a good sign. I tore my ACL a month ago and am still in a large brace until surgery in a couple weeks. I am holding out hope but my gut tells me he is done for the year.

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

brace it to restrict movement, give the muscles/ligaments/knee a rest from having to work. Possibly help as it goes through the swelling phase, Ice, rest and elevate and see if he can go with a shot on Saturday. UND has players that can play his spot, but he was a big part in the 2nd part of the season. Also being a NHL draft pick he may not risk a injection that suppresses the pain

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Hockey announcers said the Natty will be a skill advantage (UND) vrs. a speed advantage (Quinny)

I had flashbacks of UND FB vs. Drake the way the wheels fell off for about half the game. 

To me UND held back intentionally and excessively, is that seriously a strategy for 30 minutes of hockey?  I understand if a team shells up with a defensive strategy in the last 5 minutes, but for half the game in the frozen 4.....??

CONGRATS on the WIN!!

Not sure if they have a speed advantage on us.