SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. DU - THURSDAY F4 Gameday

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, dagies said:

This is exactly it.  I don't think anyone expects everyone to always have a sunny, optimistic outlook.   I was as down as anyone in the 3rd period Thursday night and I really didn't expect UND to end up winning that game.  But I wasn't going to rip the team for it, accuse them of not caring, or feeling that I was owed better, blah blah blah.   I might have said "oh, boy, here we go again" because we've seen NCAA games get away from us in so many different ways over the years.  

You hit it on the head with the bolded part. 

GO UND!!

I will never do the bolded part. How some fans can possibly think they care more than the guys playing the game is truly beyond me. They put more work into hockey than many people put into their jobs and they do this on top of school work while still being only 20 years old. They work their asses off to entertain us and people have the audacity to think that they don't care about winning or they only care about making it to the next level or that they owe us something. How many ex-Sioux have you heard describing playing at UND as the best time of their lives? Or how many say they wish they could come back or that they had 5 years to play at UND? I may be critical on the internet about how well or poorly I think they played. I will comment on player X struggling or player Y playing terribly, but I will never attribute that to how much they care. I love Sioux hockey and it is a big part of my life, but for the players, Sioux hockey is their life.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Speez said:

I wouldn't blame it all on the newbie trolls. I couldn't believe some of the comments I read during the game from the so called "long time fans".

Look, when we as a fan base had watched six consecutive national semifinal losses (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015) and then watched Denver score two goals to tie the game in the third period and were going on yet another PP (which was almost called a 5 minute major), you cannot seriously insinuate that people should not have been thinking "Here we go again". As Tom Miller said in the Heraldo on Friday, anyone who claims they weren't thinking that were not being honest. I do not blame any of our fans for feeling a bitter and negative sense of déjà vu as that third period got away from us. It's called being a passionate, die-hard fan of this team, program and institution. It's called posting emotional comments in the heat of the moment. But I suppose you are going to go ahead and try to tell me that you have never, ever done that during your time on this planet? :silly: Yep, that's what I thought.

End Rant.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, XCheck said:

I did get caught up in the emotion during this game and made some posts that were too harsh and I regret them.  For those that were offended I apologize, especially to any of the players that may read this board.  All of us fans can't thank you players enough for all that you have done for this team and program.  Especially want to thank the Seniors that will be taking off the jersey for the last time tonight....can't imagine how emotional that will be.  However, the fact that you just won the national championship is going to make it easier. 

I have followed this team for years and watch every game I can....just because I am not posting on this board doesn't mean I am not reading it. However, from now on, I will leave the posting to the regulars.  Again, sorry to have offended some of you. 

Thanks for having the humility to post this.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Look, when we as a fan base had watched six consecutive national semifinal losses (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015) and then watched Denver score two goals to tie the game in the third period and were going on yet another PP (which was almost called a 5 minute major), you cannot seriously insinuate that people should not have been thinking "Here we go again". As Tom Miller said in the Heraldo on Friday, anyone who claims they weren't thinking that were not being honest. I do not blame any of our fans for feeling a bitter and negative sense of déjà vu as that third period got away from us. It's called being a passionate, die-hard fan of this team, program and institution. It's called posting emotional comments in the heat of the moment. But I suppose you are going to go ahead and try to tell me that you have never, ever done that during your time on this planet? :silly: Yep, that's what I thought.

End Rant.

Well, thankfully we had the new father-figure positive-minded coach to right the ship and keep all of those negative nillys from jumping off of it.  There's a big difference between a heat-of-the-moment "here we go again" post and a "this team sucks we're gonna choke again" one.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

End Rant.

I just couldn't disagree with you more.  Was I hating life in third period Thursday night?  Yes, without a doubt.  Did I even once consider it bad coaching, or laziness, or a lack of caring?  Not once.  The fact is hockey is a momentum sport, and Denver got on a roll, and perhaps due to recent history, UND didn't handle it very well.  Part of the reason Denver got on a roll is because they were really good, one of the top three teams in the country, along with St. Cloud.  And I recognized that the other team has a say in what goes on during a game, and it doesn't mean the UND players don't care or are choking.

I'll grant you this.  Emotional comments posted in the heat of the moment are likely to be honest, and reflect your true feelings.  So if it reveals, for all to see, a lack of respect for players or coaches, do you really want to post it? 

And it's safe to say that speez has never, ever posted comments disrespectful of any of the players or coaches, in haste or after lengthy consideration.  Ever. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

End Rant.

So, it would have been acceptable for the team to think this as well?  Here we go again?  Not a chance.  I don't buy it.  It would be just as acceptable as me accepting my children's accusation that I can no longer attend a Frozen Four.  I did not go this year due to a medical issue.  UND won, so now all of those losses are my fault?  I don't buy that one either.

4 minutes ago, jk said:

I just couldn't disagree with you more.  Was I hating life in third period Thursday night?  Yes, without a doubt.  Did I even once consider it bad coaching, or laziness, or a lack of caring?  Not once.  The fact is hockey is a momentum sport, and Denver got on a roll, and perhaps due to recent history, UND didn't handle it very well.  Part of the reason Denver got on a roll is because they were really good, one of the top three teams in the country, along with St. Cloud.  And I recognized that the other team has a say in what goes on during a game, and it doesn't mean the UND players don't care or are choking.

I'll grant you this.  Emotional comments posted in the heat of the moment are likely to be honest, and reflect your true feelings.  So if it reveals, for all to see, a lack of respect for players or coaches, do you really want to post it? 

And it's safe to say that speez has never, ever posted comments disrespectful of any of the players or coaches, in haste or after lengthy consideration.  Ever. 

Ah yes. If you think that the effort and focus went down in the against Denver and was dissapointed to give up a 2 goal lead in semi's of the FF you actually hate the players and the coach and the program and think they are awful human being. They're probably closeted gopher fans right? Maybe you can come teach all the terrible fans how to be a real sioux fan like yourself. 

26 minutes ago, jk said:

Totally agree.  We're all human and, as such, are subject to negative emotions when things aren't going our way.  And it's not even wrong to express those emotions, but when the comments take the form of disrespecting our players, coaches, and/or team, then they're going too far, especially when you have players, coaches, and a team like we do that give 110% virtually every time they take the ice.  And, as others have said, there are a lot of quality teams out there that are good enough to impact the outcome of games. 

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Wow, you guys are really good at putting words into my mouth. I never said the things you are alleging I said. And I wasn't implying that either. Thanks for totally missing the point of my post.

I agree on the "here we go again" part. I call bs on anyone who denies it didn't cross their mind even if just fleetingly when Denver tied it up.

With that said, it is obvious no side is going to win this discussion. Should all just agree to disagree and continue celebrating that UND won the national title!

When Denver tied it up I lost faith as well. My Dad sent me a text simply saying "Have faith" and sure enough minutes later Schmaltz scored the game winner.

As pointed out above, it is pretty normal to have doubts when this has happened to us a lot over the last 16 years. What I didn't do was start ranting before the dust had settled and my Pops was spot on: Have Faith!

15 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I agree on the "here we go again" part. I call bs on anyone who denies it didn't cross their mind even if just fleetingly when Denver tied it up.

With that said, it is obvious no side is going to win this discussion. Should all just agree to disagree and continue celebrating that UND won the national title!

I was firmly on the here we go again thought process, but still hopeful. I didn't post anything on the forum though (who has time for that?). Anyway, I nearly laughed when Denver iced that puck with a minute to go. Like I said before, I looked at my wife and said this is karma coming back around. Sure enough, 4 seconds later we were up one with less than a minute to go.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxman said:

So, it would have been acceptable for the team to think this as well?  Here we go again?  Not a chance.  I don't buy it.  It would be just as acceptable as me accepting my children's accusation that I can no longer attend a Frozen Four.  I did not go this year due to a medical issue.  UND won, so now all of those losses are my fault?  I don't buy that one either.

Hahaha we were wondering when you were going to acknowledge that text.  Clearly you're in denial.

2 hours ago, Siouxman said:

It would be just as acceptable as me accepting my children's accusation that I can no longer attend a Frozen Four.  I did not go this year due to a medical issue.  UND won, so now all of those losses are my fault?  

Whoa whoa whoa.  So you're saying that you have been to EVERY Frozen Four since 2001 EXCEPT this one and UND wins it NOW?  

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but ladies and gentlemen, I think we've cracked this case WIDE OPEN!

Most of you guys and gals know I'm a CC Tiger fan AND a UND fan. I had that "here we go again" feeling as well as some of you and said so to my gf. She, being somewhat new to college hockey, said similar encouraging words about keep the faith, plenty of time to regain the lead, etc. she being primarily a Tiger fan, she wasn't nearly as nervous as I was but when Buchigross asked out loud, "who will score the goal of their lifetime?" late in the third period, Kate said, "Schmaltz, that's who!" and at that moment it gave me some levity and brought a smile to my face. Am I naive enough to think Kate has super human predictive powers? -No. But her positivity in light of my pessimism really helped me deal with such a stressful period. So proud of the boys and grateful UND has the most passionate fans, bar none, in all of college hockey if not all of college sports.

• Upvote 2

There's a big difference between being pessimistic, and being critical/judgmental, etc.   I think that's the point MafiaMan, jk and others (myself included) are making.   I don't deny I was also thinking "here we go again in the 3rd against Denver, not once was I inclined to rip the players, coaches, facilities, etc.  Sometimes crap happens, or the other team puts you on your back foot, etc.  But I knew the players and coaches were trying harder to win than I could ever imagine.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Whoa whoa whoa.  So you're saying that you have been to EVERY Frozen Four since 2001 EXCEPT this one and UND wins it NOW?  

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but ladies and gentlemen, I think we've cracked this case WIDE OPEN!

Wait a minute.  It's my first year in Grand Forks,  first season I was at every game in the Ralph,  and they win.

Warning,  I'm still on the waiting list for season tickets, so someone may want to vacate a seat for me before we go on another losing streak. 

For once, I actually wasn't thinking "here we go again" in either game.  I was actually optimistic they could still win it.  Wasn't impressed with their play for about 10-15 mins there but something about this team gave me confidence.

Even at 2-1 vs. Q I had zero doubt.  Just stay out of the box.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

You just made my position of innocence clear.  I was not in Columbus (I did not go to that infamous "Gentlemen's Club") and I was not in Philly.  Other than that, I was in Milwaukee, St. Louis, Denver, St. Paul, and Boston.  There are no old Frozen Four hockey tickets to be found buried on a lot upon which I once lived.

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Living in Denver, I'm just glad I won't be receiving any calls from my colleagues who are Pios fans (they like to call me up whenever they beat North Dakota) and rub it in.

Same here. My relatives in Denver were awfully chirpy last week leading up to Thursday. I haven't heard a peep from them since Thursday! I swear my Aunt only cheers for DU when they play us. Seems like a Denver thing lol.