SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. DU - THURSDAY F4 Gameday

AZSIOUX

I know Buccigross and Melrose get ripped on quite a bit for their announcing but I did enjoy that they only called us North Dakota or UND last night and hope they stick with that again Saturday and not mention the nickname.

The injury to LJ is tough as he had been playing some of his best hockey the last few weeks. I think we will see St. Clair in for him but the other thing is can St. Clair step in at center or will he need to play wing. If they trust him to play center it allows you to move Sanderson or Simonson up with Gardner and Poganski which I like better but you can only do that if St. Clair is capable of centering the other line.

3 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

No. That's not it at all. Just posting in regards to the fans that join the board for the sole purpose of posting negative garbage continuously. Nothing of value is ever added to the conversation. Repeated bitching about lack of effort, terrible coaching, and how they (the "fans") deserve a title and these boys aren't giving them one. 

These posters won't be back until next year during games the boys are behind in. Are they posting just to say "I told you so" if UND loses? I just don't get it. 

People are defending the negative posts on here, saying this is a normal way to express what they are feeling...

I feel the same way as Choyt3.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

People are defending the negative posts on here, saying this is a normal way to express what they are feeling...

I feel the same way as Choyt3.

How many of these types do u really think there are compared to us that honestly second guess lots of things - But love the program always & yr round

But again call a spade a spade (as in shovel) :silly:

36 minutes ago, Fetch said:

How many of these types do u really think there are compared to us that honestly second guess lots of things - But love the program always & yr round

But again call a spade a spade (as in shovel) :silly:

Just a few, an inconsequential number. They've already received way more attention than they deserve. My apologies. 

16 minutes ago, keikla said:

When denver scored that second goal, it felt like we'd lost.  A tie game is one thing.  A tie game in which the other team has the vast majority of the momentum and the season and a chance at the title is on the line is another.  As the camera zoomed in on UND fans around the arena, the vast majority looked utterly deflated.

Then, Schmaltz scored.  It was the most unexpected and elating rollercoaster of emotions I've ever experienced at a game.  I usually scream "woooh!!!!" or something when we score.  This time, I just plain screamed.  My brother jumped so high, I wish I had video.  The poor little girl behind us had been sleeping and woke up crying from the noise haha.  The only game I can think of that felt kinda like that was out at CC a number of years ago when we tied it with 9 seconds left and then won in OT, and the stakes weren't nearly as high then.

It took all of 10 seconds for the elation to return to panic as Denver applied heavy pressure to even it up.  That's probably the loudest I've ever cheered for an empty netter too.

As a whole, that was one of the most nerve wracking yet enjoyable games I've ever seen, and it was worth every penny to be there.  That being said, it's not done, and I fully expect to need copious amounts of Xanax and albuterol on Saturday night. :D

Well explained, a Michigan fan next to me was worried about if I would make it through the he game without a hear attack. I will be self medicating with alcohol prior to the game to take the edge off but not too much to not follow the game... I hope

45 minutes ago, keikla said:

When denver scored that second goal, it felt like we'd lost.  A tie game is one thing.  A tie game in which the other team has the vast majority of the momentum and the season and a chance at the title is on the line is another.  As the camera zoomed in on UND fans around the arena, the vast majority looked utterly deflated.

Then, Schmaltz scored.  It was the most unexpected and elating rollercoaster of emotions I've ever experienced at a game.  I usually scream "woooh!!!!" or something when we score.  This time, I just plain screamed.  My brother jumped so high, I wish I had video.  The poor little girl behind us had been sleeping and woke up crying from the noise haha.  The only game I can think of that felt kinda like that was out at CC a number of years ago when we tied it with 9 seconds left and then won in OT, and the stakes weren't nearly as high then.

It took all of 10 seconds for the elation to return to panic as Denver applied heavy pressure to even it up.  That's probably the loudest I've ever cheered for an empty netter too.

As a whole, that was one of the most nerve wracking yet enjoyable games I've ever seen, and it was worth every penny to be there.  That being said, it's not done, and I fully expect to need copious amounts of Xanax and albuterol on Saturday night. :D

The empty netter would have had time expire had it not gone in, no DU player was a the dot to complete the icing. 

4 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

The empty netter would have had time expire had it not gone in, no DU player was a the dot to complete the icing. 

Makes sense, but that is way more reasoning than my oxygen-deprived brain could handle at that moment.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, snooty89 said:

So what you guys are saying is that blind faith while watching our team throw away a 2 goal lead in the Frozen Four isn't supposed to make you think we are losing our grip on the game and to not have flashbacks of past choke jobs.  I am amazed at the arrogance of some posters on here that claim to not have had any doubt with Denver going on a PP with 5 or so to go.  We are all rooting for the same team and some others choose to express it by posting how they are feeling at a given time.  No point in looking down upon them for that.  They were just posting what 90% of the Sioux fans were thinking.  But I guess they just aren't in the "Elite" Sioux fan crowd that always knows best. 

cHoyt is right...there are so many bandwagon fans this time of year. alcohol and a keyboard make a great argument.  lol Most of them couldn't name any fact from the 1999 or 2000 title games. lol

55 minutes ago, hrkac said:

cHoyt is right...there are so many bandwagon fans this time of year. alcohol and a keyboard make a great argument.  lol Most of them couldn't name any fact from the 1999 or 2000 title games. lol

Some of them might know more than you do about those "1999 & 2000 title games" like UND wasnt in one of them. But some of "them" were in high school (or elementary) so their memories might be fresher than some .... Hahaha.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hrkac said:

A lot of them might have been 5 years old or younger. This is a college hockey team with college fans. 1999 is 17 years ago.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, keikla said:

I probably would have been a person writing negative posts late in that third period if I was online. I sure was muttering some obscenities throughout the 3rd period. I'm usually pretty even keeled throughout the week but during the games, and especially this game, the emotions can get the best of you. I thought I was in a nightmare when they were reviewing the Olson hit because that probably could have been a major. It felt like I hadn't taken a breath in ages and then when Nick scored I just exploded. Pure elation. I'm pretty sure I hurt my buddy celebrating the goal. And I am excited and terrified to go through it all again in 16 hours.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, keikla said:

Enjoying coffee in Tampa, just finished reading the Tampa Bay Times with my favorite hockey team plastered in the sports section, awesome! Then I read this, awesome story, couldn't agree more, couldn't relate more....cheers!

Here's to the best possible ending to this season!

Go Sioux!!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I probably would have been a person writing negative posts late in that third period if I was online. I sure was muttering some obscenities throughout the 3rd period. I'm usually pretty even keeled throughout the week but during the games, and especially this game, the emotions can get the best of you. I thought I was in a nightmare when they were reviewing the Olson hit because that probably could have been a major. It felt like I hadn't taken a breath in ages and then when Nick scored I just exploded. Pure elation. I'm pretty sure I hurt my buddy celebrating the goal. And I am excited and terrified to go through it all again in 16 hours.

I felt the negative thoughts also, but for me, I wouldn't post any of it because I'm a dad, and realize these players we love, the same players that some on here, not all of the negative writers, but enough, just deliver ugly low blows that are not needed, I don't write any of it because the players might read it. They are kids, they aren't million dollar athletes, just kids.

But yes, there was a lot of panic, anger, depression....etc, in my head when they were reviewing that penalty.

• Upvote 2

I was wondering why they were playing so bad too but I thought a lot of it has to do with the Refs letting Denver do anything possible to keep the puck in the Sioux zone. Oh you want to hold that guy, that's fine, oh you want to trip him, that's fine, oh you want to have 10 guys on the ice cuz you're getting tired, that's fine. And if you can't handle the Sioux by yourself then we'll call some weak stuff on them.

Ok sorry, rant over, just had to get that out

GO SIOUX!!!

I did get caught up in the emotion during this game and made some posts that were too harsh and I regret them.  For those that were offended I apologize, especially to any of the players that may read this board.  All of us fans can't thank you players enough for all that you have done for this team and program.  Especially want to thank the Seniors that will be taking off the jersey for the last time tonight....can't imagine how emotional that will be.  However, the fact that you just won the national championship is going to make it easier. 

I have followed this team for years and watch every game I can....just because I am not posting on this board doesn't mean I am not reading it. However, from now on, I will leave the posting to the regulars.  Again, sorry to have offended some of you. 

2 minutes ago, XCheck said:

I did get caught up in the emotion during this game and made some posts that were too harsh and I regret them.  For those that were offended I apologize, especially to any of the players that may read this board.  All of us fans can't thank you players enough for all that you have done for this team and program.  Especially want to thank the Seniors that will be taking off the jersey for the last time tonight....can't imagine how emotional that will be.  However, the fact that you just won the national championship is going to make it easier. 

I have followed this team for years and watch every game I can....just because I am not posting on this board doesn't mean I am not reading it. However, from now on, I will leave the posting to the regulars.  Again, sorry to have offended some of you. 

This board used to be awesome back in the day when we had a few more "regulars" like PCM, Redwing77, and others like those posting.  Honestly, we could use a few more folks with some hockey knowledge to take the place of those who have moved on from here or no longer choose to post.  Please stick around and join us - it's always fun to see some new monikers pop up and become part of the Godsmacks, Goons, fightingsioux4lifes, Oxbow6s and Shawn-O's - names you know by heart, even if you can never remember their REAL name when you meet/see them in person.  :lol:  

I think the problem stems from watching a nail-biter of a game and seeing someone with 3 posts ever chime in with "this team SUCKS" or "here comes another gigantic CHOKE JOB" comment.  That sort of mindless drivel just shouldn't be posted at all.

Let's drop the puck already.  Can't wait.  Let's Go Fighting Hawks.  Make your own mark on the legacy that is the University of North Dakota hockey program. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, XCheck said:

I think maybe the regulars should log off during game time if some people unhappy about giving up a leads offends their delicate sensibilities so easily. Fan is short for fanatic. 

14 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But that's sports, right?  One man's "fool" is another man's "fan." 

Some people drink, some eat, some pace, some chew nails, some punch the sofa, some squeeze throw pillows, some hide their faces, some get up and leave the room, some change the channel, some cuss, some loudly.

Heck, they even make and sell "Tear Apart Stress Dolls" dressed like referees.

s-l300.jpg

And, yes, some even dare to leave their laptop open on a game chat and register real-time, irrational, and emotional reactions to what they are watching.

It really shouldn't bother anyone, and certainly not to the point of calling out fellow UND fans.  We're all on the same team.

I kind of like the pushback the ledgies (not calling you a ledgie, Noise) are giving here.   It's true we are all UND fans, and there's nothing wrong with standing up to criticism, even if it is mild.  

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

This board used to be awesome back in the day when we had a few more "regulars" like PCM, Redwing77, and others like those posting.  Honestly, we could use a few more folks with some hockey knowledge to take the place of those who have moved on from here or no longer choose to post.  Please stick around and join us - it's always fun to see some new monikers pop up and become part of the Godsmacks, Goons, fightingsioux4lifes, Oxbow6s and Shawn-O's - names you know by heart, even if you can never remember their REAL name when you meet/see them in person.  :lol:  

I think the problem stems from watching a nail-biter of a game and seeing someone with 3 posts ever chime in with "this team SUCKS" or "here comes another gigantic CHOKE JOB" comment.  That sort of mindless drivel just shouldn't be posted at all.

Let's drop the puck already.  Can't wait.  Let's Go Fighting Hawks.  Make your own mark on the legacy that is the University of North Dakota hockey program. 

I love you man....;):lol:

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

This is exactly it.  I don't think anyone expects everyone to always have a sunny, optimistic outlook.   I was as down as anyone in the 3rd period Thursday night and I really didn't expect UND to end up winning that game.  But I wasn't going to rip the team for it, accuse them of not caring, or feeling that I was owed better, blah blah blah.   I might have said "oh, boy, here we go again" because we've seen NCAA games get away from us in so many different ways over the years.  

You hit it on the head with the bolded part. 

GO UND!!

I purposely stayed off here during the game. My heart couldn't handle it as it was. I was doing a lot of bitching to the people around me though, especially about the too many men on the ice. When the announcers are laughing saying "there's another" it's a bit ridiculous. I did however say, even Denver iced the puck that it would be karma finally coming back around to us if we scored off the faceoff with under a minute to go. My wife looked at me after we finished screaming and asked if I really though that was going to happen. I didn't think it was going to happen, I knew it was going to happen.;)